How I Made $104,000 on My First Flip Purchased for $31K

How I Made $104,000 on My First Flip Purchased for $31K

Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 139 votes

Overview of the numbers:

Purchase Price (Cash Sale) $31,500.00
Closing Costs $2,019.02
Rehab $29,800.00
Mold Remediation $1,950.00
Furniture Cost $1,200.00
All-in Cost $66,469.02
Sales Price $190,000.00
Furniture Sale $2,500.00
Concessions ($5,000.00)
Commission ($9,400.00)
Closing Costs ($7,355.24)
Gross Profit $170,744.76
Net Profit $104,275.74 

A few Before & Afters....

Master Bath Before/In-progress:

Master Bath After:

The Story:

This house was a monster. 4 bedrooms, 1 bath, 2,714 square feet, and a toilet that emptied into the kitchen below when flushed. The roof needed replaced, there were BB holes in the back windows, every inch of copper pipe was corroded, the fuse box was somewhat melted and the house had been sitting vacant for over a year. There was also a petrified bat carcass hanging onto one of the third floor window screens. 

But...the original woodwork was in place, the boiler cranked like a champ, and there were endless possibilities for improvement. The house was part of an estate and had been up for auction but never sold. I was in the driveway of another home I was looking at when the MLS notification popped up on my phone. I called my realtor and told her I'd found my house, and I asked her to meet me there. As soon as I walked inside, I knew this was the house I would purchase. Where others saw a money pit, I saw a chance to restore the home to its former glory--and make an excellent profit in the process.

However, I'd never flipped a house before. I'd never taken on a large-scale renovation. I'd also never lived in the area. While I had some DIY experience gleaned from a few rental properties I own, I truly had no idea what I was doing with this house. 

I was determined, I was committed to success with this project, and I was going to be homeless if I didn't get this off the ground because I'd rented my other homes and planned to live in this as I worked on it. It was time to get to work!

The Nitty Gritty

Essentially, my first flip was a live-in, major renovation in a new city. Had I been reading BP before purchasing this house, I'd definitely would have done some things differently. But with nothing more than my Home Depot how-to books, YouTube, and some advice from friends in various trades, I forged ahead.

While I hired out the new panel, roof, gutters, back porch, and radiator repairs, I did all of the other work myself. This was a slow, non-traditional flip that included installing new subfloors, tile, PEX, cabinets, sinks, faucets, windows, landscaping and wiring/outlets/switches/fixtures, studding new walls, refinishing the original hardwood floors and clawfoot tub I found at a salvage yard, building the master bath vanity from scrap wood, hanging drywall and beadboard, and turning an awkward landing/closet/powder room combo into a full bath. 

When I was finished with the house 8 months later, it was a 4-bed, 2-bath, fully renovated gem that blew the ceiling off the local market's price range. In two days, the house was under contract with an offer that was $10,000 over asking.

What I Learned

  • Flipping is no joke. Everything takes longer than anticipated and ends up costing more than you budgeted (imagine that!)
  • Estates are a great way to find homes to flip if you don't mind more rehab due to deferred maintenance
  • DIY is definitely the way to go but only when your skills are up to par and you pull appropriate permits to avoid hassles later in the transaction
  • A live-in flip is a fantastic way to reduce/eliminate costs 
  • Get an insurance policy that's in effect on Day 1. I took the gamble of waiting until the house was renovated to insure, and I'd never do that again unless its unavoidable
  • Make friends with the neighbors. They're an invaluable resource for referrals if you get in a jam, they'll help you haul that insanely heavy cast iron tub upstairs, and they won't mind the renovation noise as much if they know who you are and see you're committed to improving their neighborhood
  • Unless I know without a shadow of a doubt that I'll yield at least a five-figure profit, I will never finance a flip
  • There are ways to avoid capital gains taxes, which I certainly did for this project
  • When staged properly, you can sell the house for more money (duh), but you can also make a profit by selling the things you use to stage. I amassed everything by shopping at thrift stores, estate/garage sales, and picking things up off of the curb and refinishing them. I made a $1,300 profit on the staging materials alone!

Final Thoughts

Completing this project has given me the courage to complete more projects, to better hone my skills, and to leverage this success ways that allow me to be a full-time investor. I currently have 2 flips on the market (one under contract and set to close in 2.5 weeks), and I stand to make a $32,000 and $47,000 profit respectively.

As luck would have it, after I sold this house, I submitted the master bath redo to This Old House Magazine and ended up being a finalist for their Reader Remodel Contest. My work has been the feature photo for all of their social media posts and website pages! See the link below. Additionally, I'm in contact with an HGTV producer to have my own episode of a vintage home restoration show. 

Had I not taken my serious leap of faith on the beat up, worn out old home with beautiful bones that nobody else wanted, I'd never be in the position to further my real estate goals and live life exactly the way I'd like. 

If you're considering your first flip or investment property purchase, read the information and network with the incredible people here at BiggerPockets then get out there! Be smart but be bold. If I can do this, anyone can. 

93Reply
473 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 12 votes
9y

This is awesome!   And I loved the "As far as "he", I am a she." part.

You remind of several youtubers I follow that live in and renovate homes.  You should definitely film your next if you should so be inspired...or have the time!

And wishing you the best on the HGTV gig!

See this reply in the discussion

171 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Davenport, FL · Member since 2016 · 593 posts · 382 votes
    9y

    @Willow T. Wow! This whole story is amazing!

  • Investor · Morris IL, Lexington SC · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    Absolutely wonderful!! Congratulations on your success and thank you for sharing the pictures and your story.

  • SC · Member since 2014 · 303 posts · 183 votes
    9y

    Congratulations @Willow T.!!

  • Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 139 votes
    9y

    Thanks everyone! 

  • Dordrecht, Zuid Holland · Member since 2016 · 27 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Love the bathroom ! Congrats !

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    9y
    Congrats!!! Very motivational !!
  • Julie MarquezPro Member
    Investor · Skagit County, WA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 807 votes
    9y

    @Willow T. Beautiful house, and so much hard work you did, congrats! I can't believe that you live there for 8 months during the rehab! Yes, as expected, it takes more money and more time, but I'm glad you came away with a great profit. Congrats to you and your endeavors!

  • Real Estate Investor · Mahwah, NJ · Member since 2014 · 33 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    Absolutely amazing story! Congrats @Willow T. You rocked it!

  • Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Awesome!!! 

  • Real Estate Investor · chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 231 votes
    9y

    I find it difficult to figure out how you did all of that for only 30k but you did save a lot on sweat equity. my experience is, even if you do the work yourself, you still need help.

    if you pulled a permit, which I'm sure you did, I'm surprised the village let you do all of the plumbing yourself. that's definitely needed by a licensed guy and registered by the health dept (even though plumbing isn't all that difficult to DIY).

    great to live in a flip; just would take a while before it's functional to live in but definitely attainable with heat and hitting the local health club to take a shower. :)

    maybe it took him 8 months from beginning to closing. if it was an 8 month rehab, he definitely spent more than $30k in labor & materials.

  • Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 139 votes
    9y

    I anticipated a question/response like this, especially after reading the BP forums. It was actually around 27K, but as I noted, it was a slow, non-traditional flip. The roof was $7K, the panel $1,800, the radiator repairs $684, and the back porch $785. If you work in an area like this, the labor/material costs are ridiculously low, hence my not openly advertising my investing sweet spot. 

    As far as "he," I am a she.

    And as for living there, this was a very slow flip. You'd be amazed what kinds of things the city will allow you to do with a dilapidated property as long as your work is inspected. Not all markets are made the same. Do your research and you too can have these margins. It's definitely not fluff, but representative of a place most overlook in terms of real estate investing. 

    No matter where you live, there's always a diamond in the rough!

  • Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 970 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Willow T. I love this story! job well done.

    I just bought my first 12 bedroom apartment which I'm transforming into a student rental property. I've never done any sort of rehab in my life but im learning so much throughout the process.

    Thanks for the inspiration  :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Broken Arrow, OK · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Congrats!!!  What a HOME RUN!!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 30 votes
    9y
    Willow T. Congratulations. That is awesome. That bathroom looks fantastic. Where is the property in Memphis? We are currently underway with our first flip in High Point Terrace. It's an exciting learning experience.
  • Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 86 votes
    9y

    impressive! 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    This is awesome!   And I loved the "As far as "he", I am a she." part.

    You remind of several youtubers I follow that live in and renovate homes.  You should definitely film your next if you should so be inspired...or have the time!

    And wishing you the best on the HGTV gig!

  • Real Estate Agent · Washington, DC · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Thanks so much for sharing!! Very inspiring! @Willow T.

  • Full-Time Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Willow T., beautiful work!  Congrats on an amazing product and deal!  That being said, how did you avoid taxes on this one? 

  • Real Estate Investor · chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 231 votes
    9y

    my experience is if a price is marked that low, with a budget that low (still can't believe you did a whole house for $27k inside and out but whatever) and an ARV that high it will go for a lot more.

    there was house out here recently at a sheriff sale; fire damage listed for $6k. big house. it sold for in for like $120k.

    anyway, I would caution all of you out there who are thinking you can do a whole house for $30k to beware. I am not saying she did not do this; I am just saying I have experience doing this and it would cost me at least twice this much.

    and in terms of getting really cheap labor, my experience (again, just mine - not heres) has been I have to do it over again. :)

  • ., OH · Member since 2015 · 361 posts · 127 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Willow T.:

    As far as "he," I am a she.

    Ha, awesome!  

    Congrats on a great flip!  Use the profits wisely!!

  • Accountant · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 39 votes
    9y

    Very inspirational, thanks for taking the time to share with us!

    I also am curious which neighborhood this home is located - midtown, central gardens perhaps? Sounds like you got a steal on the purchase price if you were able to sell for that much. Profit is made on the buy not the sell, right?!

    Also curious whether you have any estimate for what the costs would have been if you had hired everything out instead of doing the work yourself? I know sweat equity is an option, but it's hard to gauge the success of a flip unless you know about how much value you added by personal time.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Great story, and congratulations with a successful flip. 

  • NYC, NY · Member since 2016 · 617 posts · 456 votes
    9y

    Awesome! Congratulations.  

  • Hadar OrkibiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · USA / NZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 812 votes
    9y

    Congratulations @Willow T.  on converting a frog to a princess. nice interior design too.

    Do you mined sharing what location/ Zip was it in Memphis? 

  • James WachobBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 890 votes
    9y

    @Willow T. great job! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.