Real Estate strategy for a beginner

Real Estate strategy for a beginner

Investor · Midland, MI · Member since 2015 · 37 posts · 13 votes

Greetings Investors and future investors,

I'm a newbie in real estate and I'm hoping you will indulge me. My wife and I are about to buy a duplex (the first of many) and I would like to discuss if our strategy is plausible.

THE PLAN

The plan is to buy a duplex with money we have saved (5%-20% down payment) then save money for a year (around $24,000) and buy two more duplexes. Then attempt to pay them off as fast as possible. (My calculates say I can pay off all three in 6 years time)

THE NUMBERS

  • Assuming house mortgages are about $100,000
  • Down payment and closing costs are about $10,000
  • Mortgage + taxes and insurance are $750/mo
  • Tenant payments are $750/mo
  • The first duplex we live in and rent out the other side so no rental income until we pay it off
  • All money saved is the after taxes value. (35% for rental income)
  • Assuming 100% occupancy
  • Assuming zero repair charges

The math is below

Does this math look correct? Are there any glaring weaknesses to this plan? (Besides not taking occupancy % and potential repairs)

I will gladly explain anything if need be. 

Thank you for your patronage!

0Reply
4 views

No replies yet. Be the first to reply to this discussion.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.