1.3 million, 8 properties later we ACHIEVED success!!!

1.3 million, 8 properties later we ACHIEVED success!!!

Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Tonight I sleep easy knowing that tomorrow will be my last day of work thanks to our 4th military move (5th duty station) in 6 years of marriage. Instead of fretting about finding a job, I am looking forward to growing my empire, and spending more time on here, reluctantlandlord and enjoying our next duty station. None of this would have been possible without baby steps, 1.3 million dollars of leverage (debt is good!), 8 properties and way to much ambition. 

I share this not to brag but to illustrate that anything is possible. If you ask the average person if its possible to build real estate as a portable career they would tell you no. Not only do we only 8 properties in 3 states (working on our 9th in our 4th state), I manage all of our properties myself from all over while being a military wife!!

My two pieces of advice

1) Let nothing stop you - Turn your biggest challenge into your biggest advocate! Being a transient family has become our biggest blessing not our biggest challenge.

2) Be ACTIVE on Biggerpockets- this is the community that supports, advocates and pushes you outside of your box. 

Happy Investing!!

16Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Woodbury, NJ · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 10 votes
10y
You go girl. My husband and I are also military and plan on getting started asap. This is motivating!!! Thank you for sharing.
See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Carlisle, PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 543 votes
    10y

    @Elizabeth Colegrove, congrats on your newest property.  I am in the same boat, although I am the military member.  I just closed on number 6 but still have a bit more to go before I hit my freedom number.  You mentioned in your post that you are active in military landlords forums.  Are you talking about on BP or a website solely dedicated to military landlords?  I would like to hear about your book on lease management as well.  

  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Kevin Hunter:

    @Elizabeth Colegrove, congrats on your newest property.  I am in the same boat, although I am the military member.  I just closed on number 6 but still have a bit more to go before I hit my freedom number.  You mentioned in your post that you are active in military landlords forums.  Are you talking about on BP or a website solely dedicated to military landlords?  I would like to hear about your book on lease management as well.  

     There is a military Facebook group that is dedicated to military landlords. I will pm you the information as to follow the BP rules..

  • Investor · Spokane, WA · Member since 2014 · 733 posts · 155 votes
    10y

    @Elizabeth Colegrove, can you PM the FB group for military landlords also?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.