Rental Property and Historic Tax Credits

Rental Property and Historic Tax Credits

Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 4 votes

Reposted (with some edits) from a different thread...(I asked a Mod :) )

My main driver in pursuing real estate is building up a portfolio to support passive income down the road, with an eye to appreciation as I need to create the basis of wealth for the passive income. I don't want to be a flipper, but I see the value in buying a somewhat distressed property and rehabbing it and achieving built in equity. If you have read Nickerson's book, something along the lines of his model. Buying and holding for a short period of a few years or less depending on your timelines, making the necessary changes and then rolling up to a bigger investment. I ultimately would like to be in multifamily, but I want to start investing in my own backyard where I know the lay of the land and there are not many small multifamilies around.

I live near downtown Durham, NC and there are a lot of historic properties in this area. NC also recently re-upped their Historic Tax Credits, so with the combination of NC and Fed tax credit, you can get somewhere in the area of 35-40% of restoration costs back as a credit. One caveat is that for an income-producing property, you must hold the property for 5 years or pay recapture tax in the amount of the credit, which reduces by 20% each year (sell after year 3, pay 40% back, etc).

Thus, one of my ideas is to do a combination of the BRRRR method and these Tax Credits.

An example:

Buy House A for ~$45k - invest ~$45k in rehab, rent out, refinance in 6 months to recover all of my investment (assuming at least a $120k appraisal), claim ~$18k in tax credits the following year. Rinse, repeat, perhaps 2-3 times in one year. The credits can be carried backwards on year and forward for twenty so, as an attorney with a good earned income, I can drastically increase my available money for further asset purchase for years to come.

I have thought about the following potential downsides:

(1) Holding for five years limits the exit strategy options. I can't turn around and sell it without eating my tax credits. I can do it, but that would a last resort.

(2) Most of the historic houses that are reasonably priced are in the less than desirable areas. However, these areas are trending upwards/gentrification. People want to be close to downtown and these old houses have a lot of charm. Several of the ones i am considering have houses on the same block that have already been revitalized. One in particular has three houses within a stones-throw in the process of renovations.

(3) Costs of restoration will generally be higher. Part of this can be deflected by full awareness at purchase of what needs to be restored and how expensive this will be. This will also include having the right architectural eyes on the project, making sure things are done in line with the rules to receive the credit.

(4) Not specific to historic houses, but because of the changing area of the area, historic prices are all over the map. Some sell for practically nothing, some for almost $100k but still needing work. I think my biggest concern is getting in for the right amount so that I have that built in equity and can rent at a rate that covers all of my expenses + kicks off cash.

Does anyone see any glaring downsides to this that I am missing? Obviously, these are generalized numbers for the theory. Each individual house I would have to run the numbers on, but the way I see it, the credit is a huge bonus with the right team in place.

0Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · CHICAGO · Member since 2015 · 680 posts · 650 votes
9y

Its a very labor intensive business model but doable. I would go an meet with the city officials who over see the historic renovations AND your code inspectors. You will find out the limitations and what will be hard to do in advance. Example: the historic preservationists in Davenport Ia want you to REBUILD wooden windows rather than replace them with energy efficient vinyl. SO, every window is $1k or more...

Get to know who to know in your locality. They can be your greatest asset or liability. Also, I just love the Raleigh/Durham area. I think you should be able to get great support down there. I have many times wanted to come down and do just what you are talking about. There's a market for it.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Birmingham, AL · Member since 2010 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    I hate you haven't received any response to this because I went to write this exact forum post but found this one first. Have you moved forward with the idea? If so, what have you learned? 

    I dont have an enormous income but would be looking to sell off some excess tax credits I would have left over sounds like you might be interested in purchasing for a discount in the event I move forward. 

  • Specialist · CHICAGO · Member since 2015 · 680 posts · 650 votes
    9y

    Its a very labor intensive business model but doable. I would go an meet with the city officials who over see the historic renovations AND your code inspectors. You will find out the limitations and what will be hard to do in advance. Example: the historic preservationists in Davenport Ia want you to REBUILD wooden windows rather than replace them with energy efficient vinyl. SO, every window is $1k or more...

    Get to know who to know in your locality. They can be your greatest asset or liability. Also, I just love the Raleigh/Durham area. I think you should be able to get great support down there. I have many times wanted to come down and do just what you are talking about. There's a market for it.

  • Investor · Greenville SC · Member since 2014 · 86 posts · 29 votes
    9y

    I've had a lot of experience on the accounting end of the historic tax credits and I'll just tell you that the cost of getting one of those deals done is very high. Most of what I dealt with in the Davenport area was investors doing very large historic projects with zero money of their own into the deal because they'd sell off the tax credits up front to fund the deal. The market a couple years ago was .88 on the dollar for federal credits and close to that I think for the state credit. On the scale you are talking about I'm not sure the extra renovation cost and the extra legal and accounting cost would be worth your time and money. I believe you are also very limited on what you can do to the exterior of the building.

    One way to make the project more lucrative is to build in a "developer fee" into the cost structure of the deal. I'm not sure if that law has changed in the last couple years but the last project I helped on the developer fee was a qualified cost so that was essentially how the investors bridged the gap in financing was by using their developer fee as their equity into the deal and the banks fronted the rest of the money from debt or sale of the credits. Once again, much larger scale.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.