Looking for advice/critique on multi-family deal

Looking for advice/critique on multi-family deal

Real Estate Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 14 posts · 1 vote

I'm trying to work the numbers on this deal, which is a buy and hold here in Texas. To keep it brief, I'll provide the high points (and spare everyone my analysis paralysis scribbles).

I've been working on a deal for a buy and hold (two duplexes) that yield a gross rental income of $2400 / month. The properties are older, built in 1948, and need some work. The current owner is VERY motivated to sell, I'm assuming they got more then they bargained for. The area is home for many oil field workers here in south Texas, so the demand for rental properties is very high (so no forseen issues getting tenants). The units are already occupied, as mentioned before, and the tenants are sitting on a month to month basis, but all seem willing to go to something more stable like a 6 month or 1 year lease.

So, asking price is 185k, I'm probably going to be offering 80k due to the repairs needed. With the lender, I have a hard money lender willing to finance up to 60% ARV so I might be able to get this without much money out of pocket. Worst case (by my math) if I get the property at 105-110k, with the hard money interest rate (and using the 50% rule) the cash flow will be somewhat small until I refinance into a conventional. Interest is 10% on a 15 or 30 year, so mortgage payment will be around $965 per month which means cash in pocket (figure of speech) will only be about $235 per month which breaks down to $58.75 per door. Each unit is 2/1 BTW.

I have a few questions about this deal that I'm hoping someone can help with:

1. How long after I close the deal should I wait before refinancing into a conventional? Is there a limit? I dont anticipate pulling out any rehab money unless the property inspection finds something bad.

2. There is some work that needs to be done, some items the previous owner neglected but I'm pretty sure there are laws (health and safety) that are being broken. Is there typically a reasonable grace period in getting those items fixed? In this case, there is a broken pipe (PVC) on the ground outside and one unit's dishwater (and garbage disposal) is now draining into the yard.

3. To expand on item #2, the property looks like it was ran by a slum lord. When I walked through the units were well kept by their current tenants, people taking care of their homes, and there is a lot of potential for raising rents but, I'm afraid there may be too many issues and that I should walk away from this deal and grab something.....easier?

Items I've noticed:

- Unit 1 dishwater and sinkwaste drains in yard

- Unit 1 and 2 have broken window panes, ground level units

- Outer door to unit 1 and 2 has doesnt have a deadbolt lock

- Floors in all units sagged slightly when I walked through

- Door jams on 3 of the units have some wood rot

- Stairs leading to unit 4 are "rickety"

- Rain gutter on unit 4 is hanging off at a -30 degree angle

Typing this out, I think I may have slightly talked myself out of this one, but I'm very interested in input from the community! Sound like a deal or a money pit?

Thanks!!

Joe

0Reply
14 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2012 · 316 posts · 102 votes
    12y

    @Joseph Heath I won't review your numbers right now, but just talking about your points 1-3.

    #1 This I am sure will vary from city to city but there should be a Certificate of Occupancy(or similar for your city) in place that may transfer upon ownership transfer. If there isn't a CofO (in NY at least) you can choose to make it a contingency of the purchase.

    #2 After the first inspection you will be given a short time period to remedy the issues that are found - ~30days - again will depend on your area.

    #3 Those repairs sound like only a few thousand dollars, and if you are getting a good enough deal I would just work that into my numbers. Pretty much any multi that you buy at a discount is going to need that level of work or more. The only concerning thing I heard was the sagging floors - tough to know what that is going to take to get fixed. You may want to bring a contractor/inspector through to look to see if there are serious issues with the foundation/joists. It would be worth the $300-400 you pay them to understand if there is a serious issue.

    Remember project houses typically can be bought at a discount greater than the cost of repairs, if you are willing to put in the time and money to make them right. If that isn't of interest look for something more turnkey and take the slightly lower returns that come with a turnkey priced property.

  • Real Estate Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    @Dave Savage thanks for the response! I will definitely bring this up with my property inspector, as well as looking into what my timelines will look like with the health/safety repairs that are required.

    My largest concern would be the floors and foundation. If I move forward with this buy, I would like to pull up the carpet and get a look at the subfloor to see how bad it is. Hopefully this does stay in the low thousands for repairs, that would be manageable.

    I can call my mortgage broker and see what the refinancing and property ownership requirements are for Texas. I think I heard somewhere that it was 6 months.

    Thanks for your input! Definitely got me thinking.

  • Real Estate Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    12y
    Did a little research on this, as far as Texas law goes for repairs. Basically, it says the landlord shall make diligent effort to repair it remedy if the tenant notified the landlord through the normal channels, tenant is paid up with rent, AND the condition materially affects physical health or safety. Seems like that's a little much wiggle room. I suppose it makes sense, as long as your trying to get the work done. Still, that's subjective.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.