Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Pat Quaranto
  • New to Real Estate
  • Long Island, NY
Votes |
Home we’ve been renting for past 10 years is being sold! Is there opportunity?

Pat Quaranto
  • New to Real Estate
  • Long Island, NY
Posted Jul 17 2024, 10:31

My mother and I have been renting a home on Long Island for the past decade. The landlord, who lives in Indiana, recently notified us that she plans to sell the home and we have 90 days to find a new spot. We’ve been good tenants paying on time for the entirety of our stay here.

The property owners are brother & sister (and I believe a third sibling), but they’re never really on top of things, and no property management. I believe this may have been passed down to them prior and they don’t really do this often based on the condition of the home, and lack of communication.

The back yard is overgrown with weeds, the sidewalk has been damaged and rubble for years now. The roof has been replaced once but still leaks. There are water stains in the ceiling, the electric needs some help in the floor two bathroom, as well as the water pressure in the shower. The walls on the second floor show white chalking and also some sort of drip marks. And there are also leaks coming in at the corners of the ceiling from the water management. 

It’s an old Levitt style home with asbestos underneath the siding, and just extremely outdated. Four beds, two baths. The only things that have been updated since living here has been the roof (but still leaks), the boiler (a reactive replacement after the kitchen flooded), as well as the floor kitchen cabinets (also after a major leak of which we mentioned multiple times) - which still kind of leaks. All this to say there are definitely some issues. 

My question is this: Is there any opportunity to wholesale this? And if so, what steps would you take first, and how would I go about reaching out to the landlords. I’ve never had contact with them - it’s usually been my mother. The property definitely seems to be undervalued, I just don’t want to miss out on what could possibly be a great opportunity. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This would be my first deal. Thanks! 

User Stats

Votes
Bradley Buxton
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Replied Jul 17 2024, 12:30

@Pat Quaranto

Why not house hack and get some low interest seller financing?  Fix up the house and sell it and put the equity gains into a multifamily house.  

User Stats

Votes
Pat Quaranto
  • New to Real Estate
  • Long Island, NY
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Long Island, NY
Replied Jul 17 2024, 13:04
Quote from @Bradley Buxton:

@Pat Quaranto

Why not house hack and get some low interest seller financing?  Fix up the house and sell it and put the equity gains into a multifamily house.  

I feel like there’s way too much work to be done to want to take on a project like this with no experience. I have a feeling there’s moisture getting in between the walls. I also wouldn’t even know where or how to start with seller financing, how to come up with the terms, etc. Not sure this is a place I would want to live either. 

I guess that’s something I can look into though. I’d just have to figure out how to come up with rehab costs, and learn about seller financing a bit more within a short time frame. Any recommendations for books or audios on this topic? Open to any other suggestions dealing with this in three month’s time 

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Alan Asriants
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Jul 17 2024, 15:14

Agreed with Bradley, why not look to purchase this home yourself. If you can get a good enough deal to wholesale I'd probably keep it. Long Island will always be a desirable market. 

• Real Estate Agent New Jersey (#2323863) and Pennsylvania (#RS3399189)

• 267-767-0111
  • [email protected]
Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Bradley Buxton
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Replied Jul 17 2024, 19:49
Quote from @Pat Quaranto:

@Pat Quaranto

I feel like there’s way too much work to be done to want to take on a project like this with no experience. I have a feeling there’s moisture getting in between the walls. I also wouldn’t even know where or how to start with seller financing, how to come up with the terms, etc. Not sure this is a place I would want to live either. 

I guess that’s something I can look into though. I’d just have to figure out how to come up with rehab costs, and learn about seller financing a bit more within a short time frame. Any recommendations for books or audios on this topic? Open to any other suggestions dealing with this in three month’s time 

What ever strategy you chose will take research and due diligence even wholesaling. Each will benefit you differently. 

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
Agent
#5 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
#5 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Replied Jul 18 2024, 15:52

@Pat Quaranto

To sell a property, assess its value, negotiate a fair price, and secure a legal deal. Network with local investors and market the deal online. Structure the wholesale deal by getting the property under contract, drafting a purchase contract, and assigning it to a real estate investor or buyer. Close the deal with a real estate attorney, ensuring all paperwork is in order and maintaining transparency about the property's condition.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Abel Curiel
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Queens, NY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Queens, NY
Replied Jul 19 2024, 07:59

My mother and I have been renting a home on Long Island for the past decade. The landlord, who lives in Indiana, recently notified us that she plans to sell the home and we have 90 days to find a new spot. We’ve been good tenants paying on time for the entirety of our stay here.

The property owners are brother & sister (and I believe a third sibling), but they’re never really on top of things, and no property management. I believe this may have been passed down to them prior and they don’t really do this often based on the condition of the home, and lack of communication.

The back yard is overgrown with weeds, the sidewalk has been damaged and rubble for years now. The roof has been replaced once but still leaks. There are water stains in the ceiling, the electric needs some help in the floor two bathroom, as well as the water pressure in the shower. The walls on the second floor show white chalking and also some sort of drip marks. And there are also leaks coming in at the corners of the ceiling from the water management. 

It’s an old Levitt style home with asbestos underneath the siding, and just extremely outdated. Four beds, two baths. The only things that have been updated since living here has been the roof (but still leaks), the boiler (a reactive replacement after the kitchen flooded), as well as the floor kitchen cabinets (also after a major leak of which we mentioned multiple times) - which still kind of leaks. All this to say there are definitely some issues. 

My question is this: Is there any opportunity to wholesale this? And if so, what steps would you take first, and how would I go about reaching out to the landlords. I’ve never had contact with them - it’s usually been my mother. The property definitely seems to be undervalued, I just don’t want to miss out on what could possibly be a great opportunity. 

Hello @Pat Quaranto,

I would let the seller know that you and your mother are interested in purchasing the property. 

Ask them if they are looking to sell the property in its current condition (they'll likely say yes given the background you shared).

Then, find out how much they'd like to sell the property for given its current condition and local area comparable sales. 

As part of your research, check out sold properties on zillow, redfin, realtor, etc. If Levittown 4/2 cape style homes are trading at $699K fully renovated (for example) and the home needs ~ $200K in work, you'll know that any asking price above $500K would likely not be worth it. 

If the seller's price is unrealistic at first, its OK because you still have leverage... the property won't hit the market until Fall AND you know more about this property than anyone else. Not to mention, dealing with you directly will save the owner 10's of thousands on broker fees. 

If you are still interested in this deal after your research and thinking about the potential upside, then you can begin your 'pitch' by assuring the sellers that they'd save time AND money by dealing with you directly. All you'd need at that point would be RE attorneys for the contract and formalities.

To find recommendations on seller financing deal structure, I'd start right here on BiggerPockets by using the SEARCH feature and playing around with different keywords i.e. owner financing, seller finance deal structure, seller finance terms, owner finance terms, etc.

All the best!

Abel

User Stats

Votes
Pat Quaranto
  • New to Real Estate
  • Long Island, NY
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Long Island, NY
Replied Jul 22 2024, 07:21
Quote from @Abel Curiel:

Hello @Pat Quaranto,

I would let the seller know that you and your mother are interested in purchasing the property. 

Ask them if they are looking to sell the property in its current condition (they'll likely say yes given the background you shared).

Then, find out how much they'd like to sell the property for given its current condition and local area comparable sales. 

As part of your research, check out sold properties on zillow, redfin, realtor, etc. If Levittown 4/2 cape style homes are trading at $699K fully renovated (for example) and the home needs ~ $200K in work, you'll know that any asking price above $500K would likely not be worth it. 

If the seller's price is unrealistic at first, its OK because you still have leverage... the property won't hit the market until Fall AND you know more about this property than anyone else. Not to mention, dealing with you directly will save the owner 10's of thousands on broker fees. 

If you are still interested in this deal after your research and thinking about the potential upside, then you can begin your 'pitch' by assuring the sellers that they'd save time AND money by dealing with you directly. All you'd need at that point would be RE attorneys for the contract and formalities.

To find recommendations on seller financing deal structure, I'd start right here on BiggerPockets by using the SEARCH feature and playing around with different keywords i.e. owner financing, seller finance deal structure, seller finance terms, owner finance terms, etc.

All the best!

Abel

Thanks for the info! Really appreciate it. I was able to get comps from a friend of mine who’s a real estate agent, but how do I go about finding exactly how much work needs to be done to the home in terms of a dollar amount? Do I get quotes? 

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Jul 22 2024, 07:33

If you've been living there for 10 years, clearly you made it your home. Why not talk to them about buying it?

Talk to your realtor friend, they should know people who can give you that info-you may need to pay them for their time.

User Stats

Votes
Abel Curiel
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Queens, NY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Queens, NY
Replied Jul 23 2024, 06:38
Quote from @Abel Curiel:

Hello @Pat Quaranto,

All the best!

Abel

Thanks for the info! Really appreciate it. I was able to get comps from a friend of mine who’s a real estate agent, but how do I go about finding exactly how much work needs to be done to the home in terms of a dollar amount? Do I get quotes? 

Agreed with @Theresa Harris

Get a contractor recommendation (or multiple) from your friend and reach out to GCs yourself to have a couple of quotes and ideas for the renovation project.

During the walkthroughs, you can pick the contractor's brain regarding pricing on different material grades, efficient layout ideas, etc.

User Stats

Votes
Pat Quaranto
  • New to Real Estate
  • Long Island, NY
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Long Island, NY
Replied Jul 23 2024, 11:28
Quote from @Theresa Harris:

If you've been living there for 10 years, clearly you made it your home. Why not talk to them about buying it?

Talk to your realtor friend, they should know people who can give you that info-you may need to pay them for their time.

Feel like I’m not yet financially ready to seller finance and put all this money into fixing up a house that is probably better off being torn down and rebuilt. That’s what happening with most homes purchased in the area now. Then again, I guess no one is ever really “ready” to jump into real estate, but I would definitely feel more comfortable with reserves in place

User Stats

Votes
Pat Quaranto
  • New to Real Estate
  • Long Island, NY
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Long Island, NY
Replied Jul 23 2024, 11:29

@Pat Quaranto

The only way is to rent out room by room. Do people do that when house hacking. I can’t see many people wanting to do that, and I don’t know if I’d be comfortable with that either 

User Stats

Votes
Pat Quaranto
  • New to Real Estate
  • Long Island, NY
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Long Island, NY
Replied Jul 23 2024, 11:32
Quote from @Abel Curiel:
Quote from @Abel Curiel:

Hello @Pat Quaranto,

All the best!

Abel

Agreed with @Theresa Harris

Get a contractor recommendation (or multiple) from your friend and reach out to GCs yourself to have a couple of quotes and ideas for the renovation project.

During the walkthroughs, you can pick the contractor's brain regarding pricing on different material grades, efficient layout ideas, etc.

Appreciate all the advice and timely response. I think that’s my next step. I got all the comps in a seller’s report 

Side note: Is there a way to respond to a reply without quoting everything? Lol

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Bradley Buxton
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Replied Jul 23 2024, 15:33

@Pat Quaranto

The only way is to rent out room by room. Do people do that when house hacking. I can’t see many people wanting to do that, and I don’t know if I’d be comfortable with that either 

Some people rent out by the room. It depends on how many rooms you want to rent out. If you have a 3 bedroom and you live in 1 maybe only have one roommate would cover enough of your payment that makes you comfortable.  Keep in mind when you leave and buy your next property make sure the house can at least break even when you're not living there.  

User Stats

Votes
Abel Curiel
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Queens, NY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Queens, NY
Replied Jul 25 2024, 07:21

@Pat Quaranto

LOL Good question! the threads turning into a novel!

To post a reply, Go to the bottom of the thread and you'll see the space to start typing.

If you're directing your reply to someone, tag them.

Good luck with the property!!

Feel free to reach out if you have questions regarding comps or anything else

User Stats

Votes
Pat Quaranto
  • New to Real Estate
  • Long Island, NY
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Long Island, NY
Replied Jul 25 2024, 07:32

@Pat Quaranto

Some people rent out by the room. It depends on how many rooms you want to rent out. If you have a 3 bedroom and you live in 1 maybe only have one roommate would cover enough of your payment that makes you comfortable.  Keep in mind when you leave and buy your next property make sure the house can at least break even when you're not living there.  

Then that would mean sharing living spaces. Not sure how comfortable I would be with that, especially people I don’t know. I guess I can find some friends or friends of friends but not sure with the condition of the home 

User Stats

Votes
Pat Quaranto
  • New to Real Estate
  • Long Island, NY
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Long Island, NY
Replied Jul 25 2024, 07:35

@abel 

@Abel Curiel Great, Appreciate it. Didn’t realize you were located in Queens! 

Pleasure to meet you

User Stats

Votes
Bradley Buxton
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Replied Jul 25 2024, 10:30

@Pat Quaranto

Then that would mean sharing living spaces. Not sure how comfortable I would be with that, especially people I don’t know. I guess I can find some friends or friends of friends but not sure with the condition of the home 

House hacking is not for everyone and it's only one strategy.  Keeping in mind it's not forever and it's a stepping stone to building wealth. If it were easy everyone would do it.  Do what works for your lifestyle and energy.  With any strategy you'll have your fears and unknowns how you overcome those with bring growth in the RE space.