Cumulative Cash on Cash Return - Theoretically Speaking

Cumulative Cash on Cash Return - Theoretically Speaking

Investor · Hendersonville, NC · Member since 2013 · 754 posts · 281 votes

I'm not the best finance mind. I got a calculator called Rental Valuator. I like it. It's a teenie bit above my head, but I think I get it. My question is, when I plug in a property purchased today for 25% down, 30 year term, fixed interest, 60% income/40% expenses, appreciating at 3% a year over 30 years, vacancy of 4%, and rent and costs of doing business rising concordantly (3% annually), I get a "cumulative cash on cash return" of 1000% before taxes. I take that to mean the value of the property in regard to cash flow and appreciation and debt paydown VS. my 25% down payment doubled (from 0% to 100%) then doubled again (from 100% to 200%) and so on to a factor of 10, which basically beats the pants off of say, investing that $50,000 in stocks and seeing a 5% per year increase, for a total of 150%, or a factor of 1.5.

My question is, am I misinterpreting something, or do leveraged returns really skyrocket like that even in a gently-appreciating housing market? It sounds almost too good to be true. My second question is, it would seem that any rent increases of 3% a year would be cancelled out by expenses increases of 3% a year (thus causing me to feel skeptical). Are those two percentages equal, in other words, will they cancel each other out, or do I have that wrong? You can't boast increasing rents 3% a year for 30 years if your insurance and roof and HVAC and so on all cost 3% more per year. Also I will have paid more than $100k to the bank just to finance it, so there goes that money. Also is it safe to assume that over 30 years one will see a doubling in property values, or is there something wrong with that assumption?

As far as the ease of ownership, yes, there is a lot of management and upkeep, and yes missed payments can lead to a foreclosure, but if I go all 30 years and can sell the $200k property that I paid $50,000 for up front for $400k, it seems like a bombshell of an investment. Well, minus taxes on income and taxes on the sale. Am I making any mistakes in my understanding?

0Reply
20 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Salem, OR · Member since 2013 · 701 posts · 159 votes
    12y

    If your $50,000 doubled 10 times you would have over $50 million. A 1000% gain multiplies your money by a factor of 10 so your $50,000 becomes $500,000.

    If your money grows from $50,000 to $500,000 in 30 years you have made about 8% per year compounded.

    Yes, a 3% increase in rent income can result in a greater than 3% increase in your cash flow. This occurs if you have a mortgage that is constant.

    Hope this helps.

    Bill

  • Rental Property Investor · Big Sandy, TN · Member since 2013 · 147 posts · 91 votes
    12y

    Excellent explanation Bill. The depreciation should help offset at least a portion of the income.

  • Investor · Hendersonville, NC · Member since 2013 · 754 posts · 281 votes
    12y

    @Bill Jacobsen is there an online calculator to figure that 8% compounded out? I am a bit surprised to learn it's below 10% considering the way it increased by many multiples.

  • Rental Property Investor · Brookline, MA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 777 votes
    12y

    @Jason Merchey

    http://www.calculator.net/interest-calculator.html

    There are a fair number of calculators there.

    Another quick rule for doubling your money is the rule of 72. Divide 72 by your interest rate and you get the number of years it takes to double your money.

    At 10% your money doubles every 7.2 years.

    Rate

    10%

    Year Cash Interest

    0 $50,000.00 $5,000.00

    1 $55,000.00 $5,500.00

    2 $60,500.00 $6,050.00

    3 $66,550.00 $6,655.00

    4 $73,205.00 $7,320.50

    5 $80,525.50 $8,052.55

    6 $88,578.05 $8,857.81

    7 $97,435.86 $9,743.59

    8 $107,179.44 $10,717.94

    9 $117,897.38 $11,789.74

    10 $129,687.12 $12,968.71

    11 $142,655.84 $14,265.58

    12 $156,921.42 $15,692.14

    13 $172,613.56 $17,261.36

    14 $189,874.92 $18,987.49

    15 $208,862.41 $20,886.24

    16 $229,748.65 $22,974.86

    17 $252,723.51 $25,272.35

    18 $277,995.87 $27,799.59

    19 $305,795.45 $30,579.55

    20 $336,375.00 $33,637.50

    21 $370,012.50 $37,001.25

    22 $407,013.75 $40,701.37

    23 $447,715.12 $44,771.51

    24 $492,486.63 $49,248.66

    25 $541,735.30 $54,173.53

    26 $595,908.83 $59,590.88

    27 $655,499.71 $65,549.97

    28 $721,049.68 $72,104.97

    29 $793,154.65 $79,315.46

    30 $872,470.11 $87,247.01

    To your question about rent increases vs expense increases. If both increase at the same rate, you make more money every year. You do this because your rental income is (should) higher than you expenses. Viola!

  • Investor · Hendersonville, NC · Member since 2013 · 754 posts · 281 votes
    12y

    Thanks Aaron. On that last table - rent vs. expenses - I'm not sure I get it. Wouldn't rent be $1,100 and expenses be, like $400 or $500? That is, things such as property mgmt., property tax, insurance, advertising, etc. That chart seems to magnify a $100 difference. Is that with debt service included, and thus there is a $100 cash flow is that what it is showing? I think the things that would appreciate would be property management (by definition), insurance, and perhaps property tax. Maybe carpet and paint. But all those should add up to no more than 50 or 60% of gross rent. I would exclude debt service because it by definition does not rise.

  • Salem, OR · Member since 2013 · 701 posts · 159 votes
    12y

    There are also apps for your phone and financial calculators.

    Bill

  • CPA · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    I'm assuming "Cumulative Cash on Cash Return" is the total return from year 1 to 30. Thus, $50,000 would actually turn into $550,000 with a 1000% return.

    To calculate ROI: (Ending Investment - Beginning Investment) / Beginning Investment

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.