First out-of-state BRRR: What went right & what went wrong

First out-of-state BRRR: What went right & what went wrong

Kit SerrellBusiness Member
Investor · Member since 2021 · 157 posts · 218 votes

Investment Info:

Single-family residence hard money loan investment.

Purchase price: $65,000
Cash invested: $22,000

I completed my first out-of-state BRRR on a 3 bed, 1 bath single-family home in Jacksonville, Fl zip code 32254. I used hard money and bought it site-unseen off the MLS after making dozens of offers. It wasn't a "perfect" BRRR but not bad for the first one (especially out-of-state). Here are the cliff notes:

Purchase price $65,000
Rehab $55,000
Appraised for $145,000
Monthly payment (PITI) $600
Monthly rent $1200
5 year ARM @ 5.00% (interest only for the first 3 years)

Had it rented in two days and had the tenant move in within 5 days of posting the add.

The long story...

Interviewed 3 contractors I connected with through referrals. Got quotes for all of them. Ended up going with the highest bid based on reviews and referrals (from my lender, realtor, and the local REIA). He was great. Had the work mostly completed within 4 weeks (less bathroom tile, and punch list items) and I drove down there to "trust but verify" it was in good shape. Everything was as-represented and I dove home to NC. Unfortunately, a few days later (on Thanksgiving Day), the property was broken into by a disgruntled electrician the contractor had fired (electrician had done this at other sites the contractor had him work on). I say it was broken into but in reality, it wasn't necessary to break in since the contractor never changed the locks or anything so the electrician let himself in with the lockbox and key. Now, I am sure you are thinking "why didn't you have an alarm system" well, we did, but the electrician was fired before he completed the work so the house was left without electricity or wifi. The electrician stole the INSTALLED GRANITE COUNTERTOPS (destroying the brand new cabnits), the INSTALLED kitchen sink, electrical panel (meticulously taken apart), the interior doors, HVAC, and all materials the contractor had left in the home. That being said, we had to start over and the contractor almost didn't get it done as a result of growing his business too fast and one poorly managed project snowballing into the next (Word on the street is that he has since skipped town and there are over 10 pending lawsuits.)

Lastly, the contractor assumed that this property was on city sewer. Its not. Its on septic. So, he drove heavy equipment through the backyard to clear the debris on the lot and crushed the septic tank and drain field. Didn't realize this until after the tenant moved in and texted "tubs not draining, toilets, not flushing, sinks aren't draining"... We couldn't prove it was the contractor so had to come out of pocket to fix.

Because we had to replace the tank and fix the drain field, we had to covert the system to an above-ground system to bring the property up to code which meant we had to install a sump pump, upgrade the electrical and run a new electric line to the sump pump. We had to have the tank pumped every week until we could get on the septic so our tenant could live a normal life. Apprx. $10,000-12,000 later, the septic system was fixed. Our tenant was naturally super upset and rightfully so, however, she was understanding and we sent a $200 amazon gift card to keep the relationship on track. She's been great and in good spirits ever since (and even renewed her lease).

Since then, the property has been self-managed remotely and I have had virtually no issues due to proper vetting, only accepting online payment methods, quarterly virtual inspections, and treating the tenant like a customer and not a tenant. I sent flowers on mother's day ($30) and sent her kid a birthday present ($25). Not that its necessary but I think a $55 investment into a 12 month relationship is worth it. As a result, I have received several calls from people asking if I had any properties available and stating that my tenant had referred them.

My key takeaways:
1. I am never buying a house on a septic system again.
2. Immediately after the demo, I will have the electrical done and a security system installed.
3. I will sub out the big-ticket, straightforward items myself (electric, plumbing, roof, HVAC, hot water heater) and leave the kitchen and bathroom remodels and other cosmetic stuff to a contractor or handyman.
4. If feasible, I will self-fund the rehab and buy the property with a normal loan that has a short seasoning period for refinancing
5. I will always send flowers on mothers day

10Reply
76 views

Most Popular Reply

New to Real Estate · Member since 2023 · 20 posts · 8 votes
3y

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing this! So much helpful info! I am also planning on getting my first investment in JAX. So glad everything is now resolved and taken care of!

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2023 · 20 posts · 8 votes
    3y

    Wow! Thank you so much for sharing this! So much helpful info! I am also planning on getting my first investment in JAX. So glad everything is now resolved and taken care of!

  • Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2019 · 135 posts · 106 votes
    3y

    Thanks for taking the time to share..! That’s a crazy experience with the contractor / electrician. I’ve dealt with a handful of things but I think this one takes the cake!

    Question is, when are you starting the next one?! Lol





  • Member since 2022 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y

    Great job overcoming obstacles and being super personable with the residents - obviously it goes a long way.

    with using hml out of state how much did you have to come up with out of pocket for this deal? 

    also since this was your first brrrr did you find it difficult dealing w the hard money lender or securing financing terms that did not leave you in the negative?

    good luck on the continued journey!

  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Why didn't you invest in your area?

  • Kit SerrellBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Member since 2021 · 157 posts · 218 votes
    3y

    @Drew C Grossman Thanks for reading! Yes it was quite the experience. Now that it has been a year and I have emotionally recovered.. maybe soon but I also have a few other options on the table to consider. Not sure if I will continue investing in Jacksonville since the appreciation plateau has made it a different playing field or if I will try venturing into a different market. 

  • Kit SerrellBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Member since 2021 · 157 posts · 218 votes
    3y

    @Lance Stokes Thanks, Lance! 

    I had to come up with 90% of the ARV. At the time, the HML was estimating ARV would be 117k. (ARV ended up being 145k.)

    I did find it difficult finding and dealing with a hard money lender without getting completely screwed over in the process. I was very happy with who I chose but it definitely wasn't the economical way to go. I was ultimately able to get approved by 2 or 3 different ones but every HML wanted you to have 3 deals under your belt. I was able to make a case for myself to where I believe they had some degree of confidence in me. I had two properties, I am a CPA and Realtor, and I had worked on large commercial REITs in the financial services space so I really harped on "I havent done this before but these are the things I HAVE done before" and when I sent over deals I ran the numbers conservatively and basically tried to make them "no-brainers" and served them on a golden platter to try and be easy to work with.

    After I got through the first one, the HML said if I found another one where the numbers worked he would let me do 0% out of pocket. Unfortunately, in Jacksonville, its hard to find one of those deals again in this market.

  • Kit SerrellBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Member since 2021 · 157 posts · 218 votes
    3y

    @V.G Jason I do invest in my area but it is virtually impossible to BRRR in Raleigh, I was low on cash, and I didnt want to partner with anyone. Even if I could get lucky in my market, I wanted to BRRR where it was somewhat scalable. I would definitely go the out-of-state route again if I wanted to do another BRRR. The learning curve was just a bit rough.

  • Lender · Member since 2018 · 617 posts · 275 votes
    3y

    @Kit Serrell Thank you for the detailed write-up! It sounds like you had some quality takeaways from this one.

  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kit Serrell:

    @V.G Jason I do invest in my area but it is virtually impossible to BRRR in Raleigh, I was low on cash, and I didnt want to partner with anyone. Even if I could get lucky in my market, I wanted to BRRR where it was somewhat scalable. I would definitely go the out-of-state route again if I wanted to do another BRRR. The learning curve was just a bit rough.

    So why'd you pick Jacksonville?
  • Jewel B.Pro Member
    New to Real Estate · Lehigh Valley, PA · Member since 2021 · 352 posts · 120 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kit Serrell:

    @Lance Stokes Thanks, Lance! 

    I had to come up with 90% of the ARV. At the time, the HML was estimating ARV would be 117k. (ARV ended up being 145k.)

    I did find it difficult finding and dealing with a hard money lender without getting completely screwed over in the process. I was very happy with who I chose but it definitely wasn't the economical way to go. I was ultimately able to get approved by 2 or 3 different ones but every HML wanted you to have 3 deals under your belt. I was able to make a case for myself to where I believe they had some degree of confidence in me. I had two properties, I am a CPA and Realtor, and I had worked on large commercial REITs in the financial services space so I really harped on "I havent done this before but these are the things I HAVE done before" and when I sent over deals I ran the numbers conservatively and basically tried to make them "no-brainers" and served them on a golden platter to try and be easy to work with.

    After I got through the first one, the HML said if I found another one where the numbers worked he would let me do 0% out of pocket. Unfortunately, in Jacksonville, its hard to find one of those deals again in this market.


    90% of the ARV???

  • Jewel B.Pro Member
    New to Real Estate · Lehigh Valley, PA · Member since 2021 · 352 posts · 120 votes
    3y

    Crazy story with the contractor and electrician!

    Keep in mind new FANNIE/FREDDIE seasoning requirements are 12mos now, with select exceptions.

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y

    Thanks for sharing @Kit Serrell ! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.