First Investment! Converted private residence to my first rental :-)

First Investment! Converted private residence to my first rental :-)

Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Investment Info:

Single-family residence buy & hold investment.

Purchase price: $187,000
Cash invested: $14,000
Sale price: $187,000

3/2 SFH. Acted as primary residence until 10/1/2022. Currently using as midterm rental, primarily marketing to travel nurses/professionals as there are several hospital systems in the area.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

I was looking for my first home in 2019. After 3 years, I took a new job in a different city and thought it would be a great investment to keep the home and rent it to travel nurses.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

I found it and negotiated with a great local realtor and friend.

How did you finance this deal?

Conventional loan with a "gift" from my mom to cover the down payment and closing costs.

How did you add value to the deal?

The home was renovated to B level prior to purchase so it is already in pretty good shape. I have just maintained the property. I have made a few minor repairs, but aesthetically, I removed the chain link fence in the front to open up the view.

What was the outcome?

My monthly mortgage is about $1250, and leaving the home furnished, rent comps for my home were renting for $2400-$2500/month, so I was able to list the home and get tenants for double my mortgage!

Lessons learned? Challenges?

My current challenge is getting funds for my next deal. I was going to either do a cash out refi or a HELOC. I was leaning towards the HELOC as I could have interest only payments whenever I borrow. However, having recently changed jobs I'm struggling to find a lender that will approve either option until I have time in the new job (18-24 months). Additionally, I've been told that HELOCs are difficult to secure if the home is not your primary residence.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

If you're in the Tampa, FL area, I strongly recommend Neill Boyd from the NB Home Team. His broker is Compass and his team is excellent. I say that not only as a client, but also as a former member of their team (I was a realtor for 2 years with them). They are top notch in Tampa.

0Reply
19 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Greater Tampa Bay · Member since 2017 · 392 posts · 290 votes
    3y

    Congrats @Darek Drake. Solid cashflow. Do you plan on putting reserves aside for capex and maintenance? If so, how much? Also, do you mind me asking what part of Tampa the property is located?

  • Real Estate Agent · Puyallup, WA · Member since 2022 · 551 posts · 379 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Luke Rorech:

    Congrats @Darek Drake. Solid cashflow. Do you plan on putting reserves aside for capex and maintenance? If so, how much? Also, do you mind me asking what part of Tampa the property is located?


    Luke stole the words right out of my mouth. It looks like the house is in pretty good condition from the exterior, have most of the mechanicals been updated recently to help put a little more cashflow in your pocket and less in CapEx?

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Luke Rorech:

    Congrats @Darek Drake. Solid cashflow. Do you plan on putting reserves aside for capex and maintenance? If so, how much? Also, do you mind me asking what part of Tampa the property is located?

     At present, I'm putting almost all my profit into reserves. I would likely, at minimum put about 5% for capex and 5% for maintenance if I had a need to use the profit elsewhere, but right now I'm just banking as much as possible. And the home is in Seminole Heights.

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Harden:
    Quote from @Luke Rorech:

    Congrats @Darek Drake. Solid cashflow. Do you plan on putting reserves aside for capex and maintenance? If so, how much? Also, do you mind me asking what part of Tampa the property is located?


    Luke stole the words right out of my mouth. It looks like the house is in pretty good condition from the exterior, have most of the mechanicals been updated recently to help put a little more cashflow in your pocket and less in CapEx?


     The mechanical system is from 2016 I believe. Roof is 2018, electrical and plumbing are original (house was built in 1982), but the electrical panel has been update recently, as it was out of spec during a recent inspection.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.