Potential First Deal, Need Advice Please

Potential First Deal, Need Advice Please

Syracuse, UT · Member since 2013 · 39 posts · 5 votes

Here is the long story not quite as long: My grandmas house, which is paid off, could be for sale soon. The profits will be split between my grandmas 5 kids after 30K is paid to my uncle because he paid it off years ago when my grandparents hit some financial trouble. The house is in very bad disrepair. Mold in the basement, plumbing issues, electrical issues, even foundation issues, plus major cosmetic rehabbing needed. The ARV is, I'm guessing, about 150K. What would be a good offer, and is it even worth making an offer? My sister currently lives in the house (partly why it needs a major cosmetic overhaul) and she and her family would basically be homeless when the house sells as they cannot afford rent anywhere. I was thinking of buying it, fixing everything except the cosmetic stuff that will just get messed up again if I do, and renting it to my sister for just enough to cover the payments until she can afford to move out. Then I would sell it or rent it out again. I don't even know if she could afford the rent there if I bought it and fixed it up. Even though I would like to help everyone win, I really can't afford to lose money on this. Thoughts, opinions, advice? Thanks so much for reading!

0Reply
20 views

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    12y

    Is the agreement you stated in writing or verbal within the family??

    The sister I wouldn't close on the property until they are out and locks are changed.

    The profit margin would have to be very large to deal with all the "hair" (problems) on this deal. You would need a contractor bid to determine how much to get rent ready versus resale ready.

    No legal advice

  • Homeowner · Phelan, CA · Member since 2010 · 23 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    I think most would agree with me when I say renting to family is a bad idea. If she can't afford rent anywhere, what makes you think she can afford rent there? I am not saying that it can't be a win, win situation, but I believe that to be the exception rather than the rule.

    Another thing to think about is you stated that you could just charge rent equal to your costs until she could afford to move out. In that case your investment is tied up until she makes changes to improve her situation.

    Just my thoughts, Eric

  • Syracuse, UT · Member since 2013 · 39 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    Thank you guys for your response. @Joel Owens , no, there is no written agreement, just me kinda fishing around and asking my dad what he thinks of my plan. He says it will probably depend on the appraisal. I am completely new to this and know next to nothing, can anyone tell me what they look for in the appraisal? I' know that it is mainly square feet, # of rooms, bathrooms, etc., but do they take into account the condition of the property?

    @Eric Miller You are right, my investment would be tied up. I am very leery about doing business with family, thanks for your impute. Sounds like I should just steer clear probably.

  • Residential Landlord · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    I don't get it, your sister has and her family have a place to live but threw your actions they might not? If it's paid off, let them live there for free. I would just avoid that situation all together, unless you hate your sister, because business and family doesn't mix at all. Avoid that at all cost. You'll basically lose your sister and her families trust and friendship if anything goes bad. And it always goes bad in those scenarios. Be careful.

  • Syracuse, UT · Member since 2013 · 39 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    @Don Burton , sorry, I left some info out. My uncle will sell the house regardless, so my sister will definitely be out if I don't buy it. If I did buy it, I was hoping to work out some kind of deal with her and her husband. But I think everyone is right, I should avoid this deal. I wanted it to work out for everyone, but that probably won't happen. Maybe if I was super successful and could afford squatters. Thanks for your input everyone!

  • West Orange, NJ · Member since 2013 · 102 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    Maybe one of the best options would be to let your sister in the house and try to pay something to your uncle with a loan or with everyones help

    Then try to find an alternative housing for your sister, and only then to sell the property and divide the money

  • Investor · Apple Valley, MN · Member since 2013 · 281 posts · 94 votes
    12y
    Question that no one has asked. Why is your sisters family allowed to live in this house for free? Shouldn't the free rent be deducte from her portion of the house? I'm not trying to be a jerk but why can she not afford rent somewhere.
  • Syracuse, UT · Member since 2013 · 39 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    Chai, that would be a good idea, but there are 5 people that will get money when this sells, and I really think my uncle will just sell it quickly so he does not have to worry about it. I could be wrong, but I think that is how it will go down.

    Marcus, my sisters husband is a janitor at an elementary school and does not make much. She is living in the house rent free because my uncle lives in Maryland, and no one else can take care of the house, so it would just be vacant. My sister does pay the property taxes and utilities of course, so that is why he allows her to live there. They can't sell the house until my grandma dies, and once that happens, I don't think that my uncle will care what happens to my sister and her family. I would love to help, but I don't want to make 2 house payments if she can't pay rent. I guess another option would be to have her just pay part of it and my husband and I cover the rest, but still not ideal, for us anyway.

  • West Orange, NJ · Member since 2013 · 102 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    Nikki

    Its not a good investment for you to buy it in the material world ,but certainly in the spiritual world the rewards could be limitless

  • Syracuse, UT · Member since 2013 · 39 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    Wow Chai, I am a pretty religious person, but I never thought of it that way. Thank you for that insight, definitely something to take into consideration.

  • Landlord · Syracuse, NY · Member since 2011 · 120 posts · 96 votes
    12y

    Do not do it. Stay away. Dividing an estate is tricky on a good day, let alone when you have squatters. Do not take on a liability so that your brother-in-law doesn't have to get a better job. Everyone will be better off if you use your money to buy an asset that will make you money, and your sister's family starts paying their own way. This could sink you financially.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.