Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 9 posts · 0 votes
I would like to introduce myself as a potential investor in Atlanta, GA area. I am looking to invest in a couple of rental investment properties in Atlanta. Would like to know from fellow investors, which areas are considered safe. As an out of state investor, is it safe to invest in Atlanta? I am also reading some horror stories about property vandalism. How big threat is it? All your guidance and help is appreciated.
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
13y
Hi Adam,
That's funny you mention Woodstock. I grew up there as a kid. We had one dirt road going into town and we would fly the kites at Bells Ferry and HWY 92.
I moved to Canton, GA about 15 minutes away 8 years ago because of traffic issues.
Woodstock for the most part is a good area but it still has it's iffy spots like any city. Used to the woods would be called the "thousand acres" and you could ride your bicycle down the interconnecting dirt roads in the woods to Allatoona lake.
Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 256 posts · 64 votes
13y
Let me know what you are looking for, there are several areas in metro atlanta and outskirts that have nice SFH for great prices for buy and hold. PM me if you want to discuss.
Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
13y
Hi Malar,
Vandalism can be a problem in any market, however, having said that, you can reduce that by investing in the better areas with lower crime. As a rule of thumb, the suburban areas outside of the 285 loop will be better than the urban core of Atlanta. PM me if you'd like to discuss in more detail.
Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2011 · 79 posts · 38 votes
13y
Hi Malar. We do business all over the Atlanta area in and out of the suburbs. Would be happy to give you a feel for what works well for rentals as we sell to a lot of landlords!
I lived in Atlanta for the past 11 years and have a rental property there in the Woodstock suburb. Vandalism isn't really a problem there.
The property is going up for sale soon if you would like some details.
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
13y
Hi Adam,
That's funny you mention Woodstock. I grew up there as a kid. We had one dirt road going into town and we would fly the kites at Bells Ferry and HWY 92.
I moved to Canton, GA about 15 minutes away 8 years ago because of traffic issues.
Woodstock for the most part is a good area but it still has it's iffy spots like any city. Used to the woods would be called the "thousand acres" and you could ride your bicycle down the interconnecting dirt roads in the woods to Allatoona lake.
Investor · Mission Viejo, CA · Member since 2012 · 627 posts · 204 votes
13y
Jon, sorry I did not know you are in Atlanta. We bought one in Lawrenceville. and one in Acworth last year. If I could find a manager who did not demand a full month to lease and ten percent, I would like another.
Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 37 posts · 2 votes
13y
Atlanta is not as bad as some people might lead you to believe. As far as safer areas to buy rental properties most people might say avoid south atlanta areas.
Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
13y
Hey Malar, I'm actually from Atlanta and was just there for four months working with investors. I'm there quite a bit from LA, and all the properties I own are in Atlanta. I will warn that inventory (good inventory) is extremely thin there now as the market is finishing out. But you can still get good deals. As far as safety, Atlanta is no worse than any other metro city. Closer in of course you will have more crime, but in the nicer areas you are looking at skimpy returns. The trick is to get somewhere safe, good returns, good tenant quality.
If you're still looking, I can definitely tell you my preferences for where to invest, where to avoid, and give you a feel for what the returns are there right now.
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
13y
Any move-in-ready inventory in the suburbs that is listed on the MLS is getting bid up to near retail levels these days in Atlanta. I've been selling (both for myself and other investors) lots of rent-ready houses around the metro area the past two months, and the prices we're getting are ridiculous.
If you're looking for single family rental units on the MLS, I don't think Atlanta is worth the effort these days...just my $.02...
Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2011 · 79 posts · 38 votes
13y
No problem Jon. Malar, we have found solid suburban neighborhoods all over the place where you can still get double digits returns and safety is generally not a concern. The one exception will be in some of the southside areas just outside the perimeter in some spots and of course some of the intown areas, in particular the west side. These are areas are definitely rougher. Some of the southern areas just east of the airport can be rough as well. It really is area by area and the list of places that dow ork is far too numerous to list. We have found many off market deals that still work very well. On market is tougher but still available. If you are in the sub 80k price point, off market can be stronger but it depends on which wholesaler you get a hold of an ultimately what your goals are. What works for one, does not for others so interpretation of what is a good deal has a lot of variety in this market right now. Even more so with the rehabbers. It really just depends. Overall, still a good bit of opportunity out there.