Hard money lender near Bellevue, WA for preforeclosure flips

Hard money lender near Bellevue, WA for preforeclosure flips

Member since 2018 · 48 posts · 9 votes

Can anyone recommend a hard money lender near Bellevue, Washington State for preforeclosure flipping?

I see the list here, just looking for recommendations based on your personal experience with them.

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

James DainardPro Member
Real Estate Broker · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2015 · 415 posts · 1k+ votes
7y

@Greg Lovern I use Intrust funding for all of my flips. They're based in Bellevue, so they know the area really well. Good guys, I always go to them if I have any doubts or questions. 

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 95 posts · 16 votes
    7y

    What condition is this property in?

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    Seattle funding   Eastside funding  Lendinghome  Lima one  IronBridge ..  all of these are legit lenders..  that I know first hand will fund and are direct lenders no middle men. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    also be careful with pre foreclosures in WA and OR there are specfic rules you have to follow dealing with those in default.

  • Member since 2018 · 48 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @Exavier Hamilton, this question isn't about a specific property. I'm just wondering what hard money lenders in my area it would make sense to approach first. 

    To get started, I would try for homes that don't need major work to resell. 

  • Member since 2018 · 48 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @Jay Hinrichs, can you point me to where I can learn about those specific rules in WA for dealing with those in default?

    One thing I understand about Washington State is the 1-year redemption period after foreclosure. I understand that means they can squat there for a year before the new owner can even start the eviction process against them. So I plan to run, not walk, from homes that have been foreclosed.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Greg Lovern:

    @Jay Hinrichs, can you point me to where I can learn about those specific rules in WA for dealing with those in default?

    One thing I understand about Washington State is the 1-year redemption period after foreclosure. I understand that means they can squat there for a year before the new owner can even start the eviction process against them. So I plan to run, not walk, from homes that have been foreclosed.

     I dont believe there is a 1 year right of redemption on trustee sales.. there may be in sherrif sales but i have not experienced that in that state and i have bought well over 100 properties at the courthouse steps over the years.  both Sherrif and trustee

    there are laws on the books just google it.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Federal Way, WA · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    I personally have loans with Eastside Funding and Veristone right now on 2 flips. They are both about the same but have a couple different variances. If I were to pick one over the other I would lean towards Veristone.

    Talk to Travis at Veristone and run your scenario by him.

    -- Trent

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Trent Parker:

    I personally have loans with Eastside Funding and Veristone right now on 2 flips. They are both about the same but have a couple different variances. If I were to pick one over the other I would lean towards Veristone.

    Talk to Travis at Veristone and run your scenario by him.

    -- Trent

     I believe  Veristone will provide money at courthouse steps as well at least I think they do in Oregon so i have to believe they will there as well.  they have a pretty slick product for that.. although with margins were they are at.. have to be super careful.. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Federal Way, WA · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 9 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Trent Parker:

    I personally have loans with Eastside Funding and Veristone right now on 2 flips. They are both about the same but have a couple different variances. If I were to pick one over the other I would lean towards Veristone.

    Talk to Travis at Veristone and run your scenario by him.

    -- Trent

     I believe  Veristone will provide money at courthouse steps as well at least I think they do in Oregon so i have to believe they will there as well.  they have a pretty slick product for that.. although with margins were they are at.. have to be super careful.. 

    Yes I do know they represent there for sure. I do think Eastside uses Vestus at the courthouse as well. Either one you should be covered in that niche.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Trent Parker:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Trent Parker:

    I personally have loans with Eastside Funding and Veristone right now on 2 flips. They are both about the same but have a couple different variances. If I were to pick one over the other I would lean towards Veristone.

    Talk to Travis at Veristone and run your scenario by him.

    -- Trent

     I believe  Veristone will provide money at courthouse steps as well at least I think they do in Oregon so i have to believe they will there as well.  they have a pretty slick product for that.. although with margins were they are at.. have to be super careful.. 

    Yes I do know they represent there for sure. I do think Eastside uses Vestus at the courthouse as well. Either one you should be covered in that niche.

    ya Vestus was the one I was thinking of Rain City in PDX will also give bid money loans.. If I was still running my HML shop I would do that product its uber profitable for the lender.. I mean UBER

  • Jim L.Pro Member
    Professional · Greater Seattle area, WA · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 18 votes
    7y

    @Greg Lovern  As for the WA laws regarding pre-foreclosure, in many instances would label those chasing pre-foreclosures as a "distressed home consultant" with all the consequent requirements. The REIA's commentary about it may be more dire than necessary, but in view of the felony penalties it would be wise to understand the limitations. 

    In Washington, Sheriff's sales of non-agricultural, occupied properties typically have an 8 month redemption period, while Trustee sales thereof have a 12 month redemption period, extended by 6 months in some circumstances for the debtor.  (See , 030.)  This redemption period may affect ability to get title insurance during that period.  Although it is rare that a homeowner redeems the property, a mortgagee or other lienholder may also exercise a right of redemption.  

    Tax lien foreclosures have a whole other set of redemption rules. (See, e.g., RCW 84.64.070.)

    The above is provided solely for educational purposes, and does not constitute legal advice or counsel.  Particular circumstances  and facts may affect which laws are applicable.  The reader is advised to engage a local real estate attorney directly to address specific circumstances and opportunities.

  • Member since 2018 · 48 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @Jim L. -- thanks for letting me know about 61.34. I read every word, plus the 2014 WA supreme court decision related to it. Then, to help me wrap my head around it, I went through item by item and tried to translate it to plain language. Here it is. I'd be interested in any comments about anything I may have misundersood:

    RCW 61.34 in plain language, by a non-expert non-lawyer

    First, regarding the risk of felony:

    Although 61.34 places more requirements on the investor than you can shake a stick at, only a couple of them are punishable by a felony conviction. They are:

    • Buying the home with a promise to take over the mortgage payments, but then failing to make those payments yet gaining value from the home, and:
    • Seller financing secured by a lien that is lower priority than another lien placed on the home by the buyer, and the buyer defaults on that higher priority lien while gaining value from it (probably by taking the money and disappearing). The lender of that higher priority lien can then foreclose and take the home.

    Further, even doing this just once or twice doesn't get you a felony conviction. You have to do it 3 times during a 3 year period.

    I think these actions are obviously fraudulent and easily avoided by an honest, ethical investor. 

    Next 61.34 makes an important distinction between a "distressed home consultant" and a "distressed home purchaser", and between a "distressed home consulting transaction" and a "distressed home conveyance". 

    The overwhelming majority of the onerous restrictions in 61.34 appear to apply only to the "distressed home purchaser" and the "distressed home conveyance". The restrictions that are also applicable to the "distressed home consultant" and the "distressed home consulting transaction" are relatively straightforward, and are mostly about full disclosure and a legal fiduciary duty to act in the homeowner's best interest.

    According to the definitions in 61.34.020, you are only a "distressed home purchaser" if your deal with the homeowner meets the definition of a "distressed home conveyance". If your deal does not meet that definition, then you are merely a "distressed home consultant", even if you are buying the home.

    So the definition in 61.34.020 of "distressed home conveyance" seems to me to be the most important and most pivotal part of 61.34. 

    So what's that definition? In plain language, 61.34.020 defines a "distressed home conveyance" as a deal where ALL of the following occur:

    • A homeowner in danger of foreclosure transfers an interest in the home to the investor, AND:
    • The investor allows the homeowner to occupy the home, AND:
    • The investor does ANY of the following:
    • (A) Transfers ownership of the home back to the homeowner, or promises to do do, OR:
    • (B) Provides the homeowner with an option to repurchase the home back from the investor at a later date, OR:
    • (C) Promises the homeowner any interest in, or any portion of, the proceeds from reselling the home.

    So this INCLUDES deals where the investor and homeowner share the proceeds from reselling the home, if the homeowner is allowed to continue to occupy the home after selling it to the investor.

    But it does NOT include:

    • Plain sales where the investor buys the home outright, with no plan to share the proceeds of reselling the home.
    • Deals where the homeowner is NOT allowed to occupy the home after selling it to the investor.

    So if you want to avoid the restrictions on deals defined as “distressed home conveyances”, you can buy the home outright with no plan to share proceeds from reselling it, and/or disallow the homeowner from occupying the home after you buy it. Just remember the deal is still a “Distressed home consulting transaction”; see 61.34.50 & 61.34.60 for the requirements for those.

    Of particular note is that the requirement that the homeowner be paid at least 82% of what the fair market appraised value was at the time they vacated (in cases where there is no plan to transfer title back to them) appears to apply only to “distressed home conveyances”, and not to "distressed home consulting transactions".

    Did I get that right? Have I missed something important?

    There are other things I don't understand about 61.34:

    61.34.020 defines "homeowner" as someone who not only owns the home but also has lived in it during the last 180 days. That would seem to exempt from 61.34 deals where the owner has not lived there in the last 180 days. 

    But the definition there of "distressed homeowner" does not reference that definition of "homeowner" (instead it just says "owner"). "Homeowner" other than "distressed homeowner" is mentioned only a few seemingly random times in 61.34, and not in places that seem to have any relevance to occupancy of the home in the last 180 days.

    So I'm unclear on exactly how this 180 days bit really figures into 61.34.

    Also, I'm confused about 61.34.080 - 61.34.100. They are about reconveyance, which I think means transferring the title of the home back to the homeowner (after they have, for example, paid off a loan provided by the investor), after the investor has the title for some time. But 61.34.100 requires the investor to inform the homeowner that "You may cancel this contract for the sale of your house". That doesn't sound like transferring ownership back to the homeowner. What are these 3 sections about?

    Oh -- I have no sympathy for the investor in the 2014 case that went to the WA Supreme Court. They were obviously trying to blatantly, egregiously defraud the homeowner, and they deserved to lose the case. That said, it was probably best for the plaintiff that the defendant tried to defraud him. Because otherwise probably no one would have been willing to help, and he would have gone through foreclosure.

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 315 posts · 63 votes
    7y

    @Greg Lovern

    Really interesting interpretation of 61.34.  Maybe you could make a separate forum post concerning your interpretation since it diverges a bit from the original discussion.  Really good stuff!

  • Member since 2018 · 48 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @Joe Mercer Thanks, great idea, I will do that.

    Greg

  • James DainardPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2015 · 415 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Greg Lovern I use Intrust funding for all of my flips. They're based in Bellevue, so they know the area really well. Good guys, I always go to them if I have any doubts or questions. 

  • Member since 2018 · 48 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @James Dainard Thanks -- are those preforeclosure flips, or another kind of flip?

  • James DainardPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2015 · 415 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Greg Lovern great question! They do preforeclosure and funding for other kinds of flips.  Really knowledgeable and easy to work with.  

  • Member since 2018 · 48 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @James Dainard Thanks, I'll definitely talk to them. But what I meant was, do you do preforeclosure flips?

  • James DainardPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2015 · 415 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Greg Lovern Absolutely! I do them all the time! 

  • Member since 2018 · 48 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @James Dainard  What are your thoughts about the dangers of RCW 61.34?

    Do you do deals that 61.34 defines as "distressed home conveyances", or do you stick to deals that 61.34 defines as "distressed home consulting transactions"?

    Do you mind if I ask about how many you've done, and about how long you've been doing them? Have predatory lawyers tried to sue you over RCW 61.34?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.