Looking for GC Recommendations in Oakland/East Bay Area

Looking for GC Recommendations in Oakland/East Bay Area

Wholesaler · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2012 · 259 posts · 147 votes

Hello,

We have a couple of projects under contract and we are in the process of vetting out contractors for the remodel work. We've spoken to a number so far and have run the gamut from licensed, bonded GC to those who want to be paid under the table and not pull permits. We are looking for GCs closer on the former end rather than the latter. Ability to scale is a definite plus for us.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for licensed GCs in the East Bay or Oakland area? Hope to return the favor one day. Thanks in advance for your help.

-Brandon

0Reply
11 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 59 posts · 14 votes
    12y
    Brandon Foken depending on the type of work, this would determine if you need a GC or a handy man (depends on scope/complexity). As a rule of thumb, you'll see on BP people recommend you do NOT pay in cash. On some podcasts they recommend you go to Home Depot at 6am and see which contractors are up at the crack of dawn to get the day started. What is the scope of work, if I may ask?
  • Wholesaler · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2012 · 259 posts · 147 votes
    12y

    @Melvin Yuen I've heard of going down to Home Depot at 6AM from the podcasts. May just have to go over to the Emeryville Home Depot tomorrow morning.

    SOW is pretty standard for most rehabs. Doing a full gut of kitchen and baths, new floors, some landscaping, a new fence around the property and painting inside/out. There is also some foundation work to be done, but we are subbing that out directly.

    Where are you located, Melvin? I'm in the Pac Heights/Cow Hollow area of the city.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 59 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    @Brandon Foken sounds like you have about 75k of rehab before the structural work.

    I live in South San Francisco and Vallejo, but grew up in the city.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 59 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    I can recommend an unlicensed handy man, but he only speaks Cantonese Chinese unfortunately.

  • Oakland, CA · Member since 2015 · 246 posts · 127 votes
    6y

    @Brandon Foken - Hey Brandon.  Did you ever find your GC?  I'm closing on a place in Oakland soon and need a ton of work done.  I'm in SF/Cow Hollow as well.

  • Contractor · Fremont, CA · Member since 2018 · 50 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @Brandon Foken

    I’m a contractor from the east bay and wanted to chat in regards to what you have going on. Feel free to PM me if interested.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.