User Stats

Votes
Travis Provin
Votes |
Greenville SC Area Feasibility and Strategies

Travis Provin
Posted Sep 18 2023, 12:25

Hello,

I'm a rookie real estate investor currently house hacking in the greater Asheville NC area looking to purchase a mid or long term rental property in a nearby area. Being about an hour away from Greenville (and hearing great things from friends who have lived there in the past) I am curious how the market is looking. Seems like manufacturing, tech, and healthcare are the big employers in the area and a quick search of Greenville proper seems like there are a lot of properties for rent (although I could be misjudging what "a lot" looks like).

For anyone investing in the greater Greenville area, what is working? STR? Medium Term Rental? Fix and flip? Is it possible to create a cash flowing property in today's market?

User Stats

Votes
Johnathan Goodwin
  • New to Real Estate
  • Fair Play, SC
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Fair Play, SC
Replied Sep 18 2023, 19:25

Rookie investor here from near Clemson, SC. You'd be correct in your research of the big employers in Greenville. It's a wonderful place and thriving for sure. The appreciation value has sky rocketed in the past 5 or so years. If I were you, I'd looking the surrounding cities of Greenville; ie. Simpsonville, Greer, Easley, Travelers Rest. I'd say fix and flip as well as long term or even mid term would work.

Hope this helps.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Anderson
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Clayton, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Clayton, GA
Replied Oct 18 2023, 09:21

I'm not far from you guys in NE GA. I'm in AVL and GVL all the time as my rabid commitment to never go into ATL again has caused me to explore these cities. I really like Greenville, and i too am looking to invest there. Little over an hour from there. I'm just kind of waiting for this market to level out a bit before dipping back in after selling my STR for a nice profit. I'm interested in more info in the Greenville market too, hopefully this thread will turn some of that up.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 18 2023, 12:18

Hi! Also a house hacker living in Asheville NC and very interested in expanding into the GVL market! Can't really provide a lot of insight as I'm also in the exploratory phase, but would love to connect further if you have interest!

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Davidson
  • Lender
  • Asheville, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Asheville, NC
Replied Oct 18 2023, 14:34

@Mike Anderson and @Jacqueline Billera. South Carolina, specifically Greenville, is often pretty attractive to us just over the line in North Carolina, but keep in mind that as an investor you'll pay MUCH higher property taxes there. 

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Anderson
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Greenville, SC
Replied Oct 19 2023, 09:14

Hi all! Shameless plug for the Greenville market here! If you're interested in connecting with the community, I host monthly meetups via BP here and with my Investors Facebook group.

We meet on the first Wednesday of every month, feel free to come out to the next one (sadly I'll be out of town for November's meetup, but I'll be there for December's meetup).

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Davidson
  • Lender
  • Asheville, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Asheville, NC
Replied Oct 19 2023, 12:20
Quote from @Jonathan Anderson:

Hi all! Shameless plug for the Greenville market here! If you're interested in connecting with the community, I host monthly meetups via BP here and with my Investors Facebook group.

We meet on the first Wednesday of every month, feel free to come out to the next one (sadly I'll be out of town for November's meetup, but I'll be there for December's meetup).

Great to hear! Will try to make it down to your meetup sometime. We have similar meetups here in Asheville on the 3rd and 4th Wednesday of each month.

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Anderson
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Greenville, SC
Replied Oct 19 2023, 12:58
Quote from @Mitch Davidson:

Great to hear! Will try to make it down to your meetup sometime. We have similar meetups here in Asheville on the 3rd and 4th Wednesday of each month.

Nice! Sounds like a good excuse for me to go up to Asheville sometime then!

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Oct 20 2023, 04:34

Upstate CREIA (check our website) has over 600 members here in Greenville and as far away as California. We have zoom going on most of our in-person meetings.

We are a nonprofit and focus on providing education for Real Estate investors.

We have 10 or more meetings a month including the main meeting where we have a different speaker providing information on a RE topic.

Check us out!

User Stats

Votes
Stephanie Walker
  • Realtor
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Oct 20 2023, 04:39

I’m a BIG fan of the Greenville, SC market. We are currently looking to pick up a new investment property there and have several clients looking to do the same. They will likely all be MTRs!

User Stats

Votes
Brendan Clark
  • Realtor
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Greenville, SC
Replied Oct 25 2023, 12:16

I work for an investment real estate brokerage here in Greenville if anyone is looking for more info on the market feel free to reach out with questions. Mauldin, Fountain Inn, Simpsonville, Taylors, Anderson, Honea Path, and Spartanburg are all popular areas with our investors. Anderson and Honea Path being the farthest away but cheapest properties. Hope this helps! 

User Stats

Votes
Arn Cenedella
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Greenville, SC
Replied Oct 26 2023, 04:14

Greenville SC is a great market. 
i buy apartment buildings any size in the Greenville MSA. 
Brokers - please find me something to buy. 
Investors - happy to partner. 
We currently 7 MF properties total over 400 units and looking to buy more. 
Thank you

Arn

User Stats

Votes
Lizette Carter
  • New to Real Estate
  • NYC
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • NYC
Replied May 10 2024, 19:13

How do I join the meetup?

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.