Mold Remediation Quote -- $11K Inflated or Reasonable?

Mold Remediation Quote -- $11K Inflated or Reasonable?

Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles CA · Member since 2016 · 128 posts · 55 votes

BRRRR challenge 1 -- Mold Remediation - Any insight?

We just acquired a duplex that (at closing) was supposed to need about $4K in mold remediation. Now the mold remediation is about $11K. This quotes is only to remediate the mold it does not involve fixing the drywall afterwards.

We are trying to get more quotes but unfortunately we live in Stillwater, Ok ( a small town) so most of the professionals have to travel about an hr. to get to us.

Attached is the $11K quote – it seems inflated to me.

Unit is 2bed 1 Bath - ~900sqf 

0Reply
55 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Houston, TX · Member since 2023 · 235 posts · 255 votes
3y

It seems a little high but there's a lot of work on that estimate. I would get a few quotes to see if its in the same ballpark. 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Taylor DaschBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Temple, TX · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 700 votes
    3y

    Sheesh, that seems a bit steep. I had mold in some cabinets below my sink and it ended up being significantly cheaper to just replace all of the cabinets. Also when I had an inspector look at it, he said that I could get it done for like 100 if I do it myself but a mold remediation company was trying to charge me $3700. Yours looks like it is a bit more work but I would definitely do some research before spending that type of $

  • Lender · Houston, TX · Member since 2023 · 235 posts · 255 votes
    3y

    It seems a little high but there's a lot of work on that estimate. I would get a few quotes to see if its in the same ballpark. 

  • Investor · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    3y

    Is there a government agency that will need to certify the rental as mold free? Seems like this is mostly for tear out which is the easy part. You could tear out everything and spray the lumber with Monterey Consan 20 (I used it in Louisiana after the flood of 2016). You should use a moisture tester on all the lumber and make sure it is dry before drywalling. Then drywalling and everything else can be done by your contractor. For that small of a place, it might not be much more that this quote. This is all conjecture as I am not an estimator or contractor, but I know Monteray Consan 20 works well.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles CA · Member since 2016 · 128 posts · 55 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Is there a government agency that will need to certify the rental as mold free? Seems like this is mostly for tear out which is the easy part. You could tear out everything and spray the lumber with Monterey Consan 20 (I used it in Louisiana after the flood of 2016). You should use a moisture tester on all the lumber and make sure it is dry before drywalling. Then drywalling and everything else can be done by your contractor. For that small of a place, it might not be much more that this quote. This is all conjecture as I am not an estimator or contractor, but I know Monteray Consan 20 works well.


    That was my fear with this quote, it's heavy charges to tear down and almost nothing about doing the drywall after they tear it down. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles CA · Member since 2016 · 128 posts · 55 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Taylor Dasch:

    Sheesh, that seems a bit steep. I had mold in some cabinets below my sink and it ended up being significantly cheaper to just replace all of the cabinets. Also when I had an inspector look at it, he said that I could get it done for like 100 if I do it myself but a mold remediation company was trying to charge me $3700. Yours looks like it is a bit more work but I would definitely do some research before spending that type of $

    So far the consensus is that this is steep but these guys quote these prices to insurance companies, but unfortunately we are paying out of pocket and cannot or i should say I do not want to pay these prices. 
    We'll keep looking. 
  • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 0 votes
    1y

    Hi Nandy, this is Henry Gutierrez with Mold Testing and Removal Services Los Angeles. Yes, mold remediation can be costly, especially since it often involves working with home insurance companies. However, professional remediation is essential for quality results, complete documentation, and assurance that the job meets industry standards. This is particularly important when selling a property. If mold remediation is done by a handyman without air sampling or post-remediation testing, it can lead to issues during the sale. Buyers often require documentation showing the remediation was done by a certified professional to ensure there’s no lingering risk.

    If you have more questions about mold or need guidance on a project, feel free to call us at (424) 369-7947 or visit our website at moldtestingandmoldremoval.com. We’re here to help!M

    Mold Testing and Removal Los AngelesMold Testing and Removal Los Angeles Mold Testing and Removal Los Angeles
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.