'Good Cause' Eviction - New York

'Good Cause' Eviction - New York

Investor · Vestal, NY · Member since 2016 · 59 posts · 35 votes

Hello BP,

If you a real Estate Investor in New York, you are going to want to weigh-in on another ridiculous regulation designed to help marginalized tenants in the city that will - in-effect - marginalize landlords across the entire state.  Last June 2019, sneaky NY legislators forced a law upon us.  The so-called Tenant Protection Act of 2019, which, among countless other travesties, limited security deposits to a maximum one months rent, protracted the already drawn out eviction process by more than three additional weeks (it takes about 8 weeks - in a perfect world - to get a tenant who hasn't paid rent, out of a rental) and provided the requirement for up to 90 days notice to remove holdover tenants, based on the time they've lived in a residence.  Each of the aforementioned topics could easily support hours and hours of commentary and analysis, so you can imagine the effect it had on those of us (including all of the courts, process servers, legal aid & attorneys) who were caught by complete surprise and had countless cases upended when NY took away the minuscule amount of leverage landlords had.  Well, they're at it again.

This year, another 'landmark' piece of legislation currently in committee of the NYS Senate is moving its way through the lawmaking process.  If you are not familiar with the term, 'good cause' or 'just cause' eviction, it basically means that landlords, in order to remove a tenant, must have what the state deems as a justifiable reason to do so.  Herein lies the rub...  This law aims to remove reasons like, expired leases, absence of leases and refusal of lease renewal terms as reasons for asking tenants to move out.  Furthermore, the law defines the rules for raising rent to include a cap of between 1.5% - 3% per year.  In a nutshell, conceivably, a tenant would never have to leave unless you could prove in court that they were constituting or causing some incurable situation.  This simply does not happen in upstate NY eviction courts.  There are practically, only two types of evictions:  Non-Payment and Holdover.  Nonpayment was made terribly more difficult (and costly) by the Tenant Protection Act and Holdovers will go away if this bill becomes a law.    

For those of us who are scaling our real estate businesses this law poses several new problems.  I'll state just the top few that come to mind and pertain to my business but I'm happy to hear additional feedback and other perspectives.

  1. Inherited Tenants - I rarely purchase vacant multi-family buildings.  SFRs sure, but usually not MFRs.  As a fellow investor reminded me, "We call them 'Income Properties' because they are producing income!"  If this bill passes, purchasing inhabited buildings will now be MUCH riskier than it used to be.  I have bought turn-key investments thinking that the deal was sweeter because of the "good tenants" and been burned for it.  After a while, I was able to look past the tenancy to the potential of the properties.  With Good Cause Eviction, investors will now need to consider these inherited tenants, and the rent they pay, much more carefully.  
  2. Property Improvements - Here's the bottom line, if investors cannot raise rents to account for capital expenditures on property improvement, the likelihood that they will make improvements decreases. If there is no "R" in ROI, then there can be no Investment. Let's face it, this is a lot of fun, but that's not why we invest. In the end, if landlords cannot improve property and rents are capped at 1.5%-3% per year, it's really the tenants who suffer.
  3. Rental Markets - I haven't thought this all the way through yet, but in order to mitigate my own personal risk, the first thing that occurred to me was that I should renovate my units to the nines, jack the rents and aim for higher 'quality'   tenants.  I.e., people with more money.  Serving mostly low income (Broome County NY, Binghamton, Johnson City, Endicott) my business currently deals mostly with working, low-income individuals, couples and families.  Our goal is to provide happy homes and my staff and I really enjoy the tenant base.  There's an immense amount of intrinsic satisfaction that comes along with providing hardworking people, great apartments; apartments that are better than what the market says their money should buy (if I may be so bold as to assert that...)  

I could go on with other examples but I'd rather hear what the fellow investors in New York think.  I'd also urge everyone who does not agree with this idea that tenants should tell landlords what they can do with their property, to oppose this legislation and vote Nay!  

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2019/S2892?fbclid=IwAR1Jm7r1gyFhF_TE6nQZMld3wo3HNro46DCX5xux4dTW-dtpkF2faOs8Kws&intent=oppose

Regards,

Dave 

9Reply
36 views

Most Popular Reply

Albany, NY · Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 25 votes
6y

We have similar rules in Quebec, Canada. Evictions are long and rent can't be raised easily. I'm looking to invest in NY state but everything I read since last year reminds me of what's happening here and it is not landlord friendly at all. Everyone should vote and work on bringing things back to equilibrium. Other wise buying A buildings in A neighborhood will be the only way to survive.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Albany, NY · Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 25 votes
    6y

    We have similar rules in Quebec, Canada. Evictions are long and rent can't be raised easily. I'm looking to invest in NY state but everything I read since last year reminds me of what's happening here and it is not landlord friendly at all. Everyone should vote and work on bringing things back to equilibrium. Other wise buying A buildings in A neighborhood will be the only way to survive.

  • Attorney · Binghamton, NY · Member since 2016 · 127 posts · 84 votes
    6y

    @David Drew well said!

  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 388 posts · 563 votes
    5y

    @David Drew - thank you for bringing attention to this. Looks like “good cause” eviction rules haven’t passed statewide(and probably won’t? Who knows.) But they passed in the city of Albany last week. These legislators don’t understand the world. As real estate investors literally flee from Albany as though their hair is on fire, the legislators will think, “huh? We keep passing more and more laws to protect scofflaws, bad actors, and lazy people who don’t like to be “burdened” by rent so they can buy huge TVs, and people keep fleeing our cities and our neighborhoods are suffering from massive disinvestment! Maybe even more restrictive laws will solve the problem!” 🤦‍♂️

  • Rental Property Investor · Montréal, QC Canada · Member since 2019 · 28 posts · 17 votes
    5y

    @Michael Gansberg

    What is the current state of these proposed laws? Does it look like they might pass, and what exactly has passed in Albany?

    I'm from out of state but currently under contract on a property in Schenectady and this is definitely something I should know about it. I'll likely be inheriting at least 2 of the 4 current tenants and also have plans to invest a good chunk of money to refresh some of the units and possibly separate gas and electric so they will have direct control over their heat and comfort (and it can be billed directly to tenants). If I'll only be allowed to increase rents 1.5-3% a year that will be a huge problem and will likely put a stop to any planned improvements. Thanks in advance for any pertinent info

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    5y

    This is not going to change, only get worse. Look at California. You don't have enough support/enough votes to make this go away.... If you choose to stay in states like these, fine...just don't whine about the consequences down the road......

  • Investor · Chatham NJ · Member since 2021 · 54 posts · 29 votes
    5y

    Wow, I was thinking about potentially purchasing a fixer upper in the City and riding the appreciation, but I do NOT want to deal with renting it with these restrictions. Is there anyone out there doing short-term rentals in NYC?

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Wow, I was thinking about potentially purchasing a fixer upper in the City and riding the appreciation, but I do NOT want to deal with renting it with these restrictions. Is there anyone out there doing short-term rentals in NYC?

    A STR would be the only way around this....but you would have to know where and if they allow them....

  • Investor · Vestal, NY · Member since 2016 · 59 posts · 35 votes
    5y

    Some of us believe that Albany is the bellwether, others do not.  If this passes in NYC things will get a lot worse, but if the eviction moratorium at the state level is the real indication of things to come, and the upstate counties will again pay the price for the and suffer at the hands of Andrew Cuomo, get prepared for a far worse set of circumstances, especially if you're a renter.  There are some real Constitutional issues here but NY does not care.  I'm already pursuing the strategy of avoiding lower income markets and left in the hands of folks who really do not give a crap about quality of service, maintenance and property management, I fear things will get a lot worse for our most exposed, hardest working, hardest struggling community members.         

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @David Drew

    Philadelphia city council recently passed similar legislation.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    5y

    Politicians only care about votes and campaign contributions to "buy" more votes.

    Whatever politicians are proposing & passing these laws are obviously trying to secure votes from tenants and liberals.

    What is the plan to fight this?

  • Ryan VienneauBusiness Member
    Investor · Stillwater, NY · Member since 2015 · 149 posts · 121 votes
    5y

    If you want an in depth breakdown of the Albany law, I wrote an extensive article on it on our website on venoproperties.com.  Expect this to spread throughout the state like wildfire, multiple other municipalities already have drafted similar bills and are just waiting to put it to a vote, and there was already a state-wide bill drafted in 2019 that is still in committee, this is highly likely to become statewide law no later than 2022.  

    Veno Properties LLC4.3154 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.