Phil Grove Texas Real Estate Investing Association

Phil Grove Texas Real Estate Investing Association

Investor · McKinney Texas, United States · Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 7 votes

Hello all, I have attended the workshop hosted by Phil Groves.  I understand that it is expensive, and people may not feel led to pay the price.  My question is for those people that chose to join the Big Dog program - do you feel the resources and services are worth the price?  Why or why not?

5Reply
177 views

Most Popular Reply

Wholesaler · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2021 · 35 posts · 21 votes
4y
Quote from @Angela Keesee:

Thank yall for your input.  I really do appreciate your feedback.  It gives me great things to think about.

Hi @Angela Keesee, did you make a decision? I’m at a Big Dog weekend in Dallas now, and curious what your final decision was!

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    Just talking with my wife about this yesterday.   I'm sure there are people that get value from these types of programs, but I say if you have that much money...$25,000-$50,000 you should put it in real estate and learn in the trenches.  Buy a lot and flip it, buy a house and rehab it, buy a rental, buy a condo, buy into a syndication.   You will probably learn so much more and at the end you'll still have a property....people are scared to do this, but you can find some FREE assistance along the way from a great realtor/investor, a great loan officer, and others along the way.   

    I think even if you mess up everything and make every mistake under the book you still come out ahead.   If you give it to a guru, then at the end of the education, they have your money, and you have a notebook.

    So many people buy these expensive courses and then never do anything with it.  

    My suggestion would be to go to another one of your local REIA meetings....and use that as your networking opener....Hi I'm Angela, I'm new to real estate. I'm thinking about spending $xx,xxx to get into Big Dogs....do you think that is a good investment....and see what people say. Talk to the vendors first, then network before and after the meeting. You'll get more insights as to what other people think.

  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    @Angela Keesee   I just realized you are in McKinney..... before you invest with a guru, come to the Texas Tuesday event at Venture X in Lewisville on August 3rd.   Lots of young investors, good energy, easy networking.   There are plenty of other groups, but this might be a good start.  Free to attend.   I've made many other posts regarding groups here, so you can probably find those posts to find more groups to checkout.  

  • Andrew PostellPro Member
    Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    @Angela Keesee thanks for posting! Always great to hear from a fellow Texan. Bigger Pockets does have some good state specific forums and Texas is their most active forum. Feel free to post there if you ever need some more "local" advice about things.

    This one is difficult to answer for me.  I am a learning by doing.  That's the best way for me to go.  Now, when I got started into real estate investing (20 years ago) there wasn't Bigger Pockets, there was hardly an internet, and there certainly were options on learning what I did from a group of people.  So would I have purchased anything if it were in front of me?  Probably not...just because of how I learn.  The first property I purchased was $52k (and I came out of pocket $0).  The second property I purchased for $7k, the 3rd for $23k, and so forth.  I focused on what I could afford and went from there.  One of the most successful real estate people I know personally began with a similar group where he paid a TON of money to learn....and to this day he says he would do it all again...and I don't blame him, the guy is really successful.  So it kind of depends on what you feel is right for you.

    Can you learn a bunch of stuff on your own networking with groups in our area?  Yes!  Can you be successful doing that?  Yes!  Is it still risky?  Yes!  Can  you lose money?  Yes!

    Can you learn a bunch of stuff from a group that you pay for?  Yes!  Can you be successful? Yes!  Is it still risky?  Can you lose money?  Yes, and yes!

    I would certainly encourage you to go to some other groups first and see which one feels better for you.  Hope all of that makes sense.

  • Investor · McKinney Texas, United States · Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    Thank yall for your input.  I really do appreciate your feedback.  It gives me great things to think about.

  • Wholesaler · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2021 · 35 posts · 21 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Angela Keesee:

    Thank yall for your input.  I really do appreciate your feedback.  It gives me great things to think about.

    Hi @Angela Keesee, did you make a decision? I’m at a Big Dog weekend in Dallas now, and curious what your final decision was!

  • Investor · Frisco, TX · Member since 2023 · 17 posts · 10 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bruce Lynn:

    @Angela Keesee   I just realized you are in McKinney..... before you invest with a guru, come to the Texas Tuesday event at Venture X in Lewisville on August 3rd.   Lots of young investors, good energy, easy networking.   There are plenty of other groups, but this might be a good start.  Free to attend.   I've made many other posts regarding groups here, so you can probably find those posts to find more groups to checkout.  

     Hey Bruce, I am also in McKinney. Please share any new events. Thanks

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.