Pro Member
  • Clarksville, TN
Votes |
Rich Dad, Poor Dad seminar

Ron Dayley
Pro Member
  • Clarksville, TN
Posted Jan 5 2017, 09:56
I'm about to walk into a "free" Rich Dad seminar. Any of you been to one? If so, is it worth the time or should I walk out?

User Stats

Votes
Arpan Patel
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jan 5 2017, 10:02

It's fine and can be good networking. I'd say meeting people there is much more valuable then the content or the pitch. I'd still stay but I'd switch my focus towards having good conversations with the people sitting by you and during breaks.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Copeland
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa Bay/St Petersburg, FL
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa Bay/St Petersburg, FL
Replied Jan 5 2017, 10:26

You can pick up some great info, but be cautious and skeptical, and leave your wallet in the car (I'm dead serious!). They are masterful salespeople and the whole thing is a multi-step sales pitch for training. 

In the free initial training session, they give you just enough of a tease to make you want to pay several hundred dollars for the three-day session, and the three-day session is a three-day intensive sales pitch for the $40,000+ training package. 

I made it as far as the three-day session a few years ago, and I got up and walked out on the morning of day three. It was shocking how many people were lining up with their credit cards to plop down $40k (though I suspect several may have been plants).

I love the book, but hate what the organization has become!

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
John Meurer
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jan 5 2017, 15:16

I agree with Jeff's comments.  I have been to two of their free seminars and paid $500 for a three day seminar.  It was time well spent and I learned a lot, but I didn't see the value in their $30k+ training.  All that info can be obtained through forums like this and building relationships with other successful investors.

User Stats

Votes
Neil Goradia
  • Developer
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jan 5 2017, 20:27

Understand that the main allure (human nature really) is always to start making $ as soon as possible, taking whatever shortcut you can take. 

Here's the problem - Would you rather trust people here on this forum who have no outside incentive, or trust "them" who ultimately are just looking for your money? I don't know how many people I've talked to that have gotten stuck with "investments" via one of these guru classes that think they have a great cash flowing property only to realize they completely overpaid for it and are now stuck with a crappy out of state property that is constantly vandalized and in a bad area. 

I agree with @Arpan Patel, go to network with people in your area and listen to their ideas. Don't buy anything and learn here on BP.

User Stats

Votes
Gerold Koch
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Replied Mar 23 2017, 12:04

Thanks for the input, folks. I just went to the free intro seminar and had to restrain myself not to buy the $500 three day seminar. These guys are masters at selling. Wow!

User Stats

Votes
Stacy Woods
  • Snellville, GA
Votes |
  • Snellville, GA
Replied Apr 15 2017, 14:53

I just left the seminar today, I am thankful for the review that I read on BP which kept me calm,  focused and aware of the sales pitch.  I previously attended the Renovate to Rent seminar and wanted to compare the two.  Renovate to Rent also has a three-day workshop that they were selling during their workshop for about $1,496.  I have since found out they have an online version at a much cheaper price of $299, which I am kind of considering.  I am glad that I found BP because there is a lot a great information out here; I am thinking that, if I find enough here, I won't need the online training!  

User Stats

Votes
Haseeb Awan
  • Investor
  • Ottawa, Ontario
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Ottawa, Ontario
Replied Apr 21 2017, 21:17

I started my REI career through one of their free seminar. I didn't bought their another course, even though it was temping to. Happy for both the decisions I made. Bp have wealth of knowledge and to be honest you need to start doing it . Network with people in your city

User Stats

Votes
Chris Mason
  • Lender
  • California
Votes |
  • Lender
  • California
ModeratorReplied Apr 21 2017, 21:39
Originally posted by @Gerold Koch:

Thanks for the input, folks. I just went to the free intro seminar and had to restrain myself not to buy the $500 three day seminar. These guys are masters at selling. Wow!

Apply what you learned about selling to your business & keep in mind that just because you're a little better at selling (to tenants balking at the rent, to home sellers, whatever) doesn't mean the rate you charge is required to be unfair.

Charge a fair price, do good stuff, have a good business (RDPD rule: "mind your business"), be honest in your dealings, apply whatever sales stuff you learn from wherever you learn it & be quick to implement, and the rest will take care of itself!

• Lender California (#1220177)

CommLoan Logo

User Stats

Votes
Ozzy Reynolds
  • Investor
  • Henderson, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Henderson, NV
Replied Apr 30 2017, 20:48
I attempted to attend the $495 three day "training" this weekend. I knew there would be a sales pitch for additional training but I was hopeful that they would also provide some good information during the three days. Day 1 was nothing more than a pep rally meant to convince you that they can make you rich. I said to myself, "No problem, perhaps they will get into specific content in day 2." Day 2 was more of the same. They would essentially introduce a topic without any real detail and explain that anyone wanting to learn that strategy would need to register for more training. Halfway through day 2, I walked out. It was a total waste of time and money.

User Stats

Votes
Johnny Groves
  • Wholesaler
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Houston, TX
Replied May 2 2017, 08:40

The "free" seminars they offer is filled with sales pitches... in fact I think that free seminars are really a strategic way that they do lead generation to upsell numerous products and trainings that are not for free.

Rich Dad Poor Dad trainings are a great place to make connections, however.

User Stats

Votes
Anitra Wells
  • Investor
  • Hollywood, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Hollywood, FL
Replied Oct 1 2019, 16:14

@John Meurer I just paid for the $500 course and that is far as I am willing to go. Did it really help you?

User Stats

Votes
Eric Mayer
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Clearwater & Daytona Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Clearwater & Daytona Beach, FL
Replied Oct 1 2019, 16:34

Robert Kiyosaki and the like have a ton of videos on YouTube. Including a narrated version of RDPD. I’ve never felt the need to go beyond that, but I’m a millennial.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.