Investor · Mahopac, NY · Member since 2015 · 110 posts · 32 votes
10y
in New York it is a requirement to complete a 75 your course either online or in person. I started the in of beginning of April. Just last week I registered for final and state exam. After passing the exam it takes two weeks to get the results.
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
10y
@John K. wow two weeks for results that is old school.. now a days at least in the states I have licneses once you hit submit.. the computer spits our your results.. some states its pass or fail some will give you how well you did.
Like on my NMLS mortgage banker test .. I got 72% so I am very happy I did not over train for that one. in Mississippi I was able to take the very abbreviated short test for a brokers licesne 14 questions... NO lie 14 questions it was more like a drivers test I aced that one LOL. good luck welcome to the industry its treated me well all these years and I owe 100% of what ever I have done to being in the game.
Investor · Mahopac, NY · Member since 2015 · 110 posts · 32 votes
10y
@Jay Hinrichs You would think this would be a standard, but it seems everything in New York can be backwards at times. I am anxious to get started and hope to be as successful as you one day!
Once you are licensed in New York you are required to renew your license every two years if you wish to work as a real estate agent. This is done online, but must complete 22.5 hours of continuing education. You can read about this at
Yes there are requirements to getting a license. You can read about it in the link I provided above. Unless you have a felony or you are not of age you should be good to go. Just put in the time and effort of doing your research. Look up NYREI school which is located in Manhattan. They give you the option of taking it online which is what I did. So far it has been a smooth process, and will update you guys hopefully in two weeks when I pass!
Rental Property Investor · Ithaca, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y
James,
It took me 3 months to get my RE License in NY. Some helpful tips that got me past the exam was studying with other class mates. That was she can teach what she knows and learn what she doesn't know from her peers.
Good luck, us Realtors can't wait to welcome new people to the industry!
Rental Property Investor · Ithaca, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y
James,
It took me 3 months to get my RE License in NY. Some helpful tips that got me past the exam was studying with other class mates. That was she can teach what she knows and learn what she doesn't know from her peers.
Good luck, us Realtors can't wait to welcome new people to the industry!
Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 1 vote
10y
@James Setaro - I am sure it is state specific, however, in FL I had to take a 63 hour course and I opted to do the 7 day crash course which was 20 chapters long, then I was required to pass an in class exam before being allowed to move forward to the State Exam. I locked myself in for 80 hours to study and also invested in an online state exam simulator which was timed and allowed you up to 3 hours (just like our state exam) to be tested on math and others topics.
Like anything else in life, it requires dedication and discipline. You will get out of it what you put into it. It is not easy and we have about 10 versions of the state exam, so you never know if you will have an easy verison or the more complex one.
Real Estate Agent · Concord, NC · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 5 votes
10y
It took me about 3 months. I took the night classes and studied every lunch break and every chance i could. Not much of a life besides reading, answering the questions in each chapter, taking practice tests, asking questions in class, ect. I passed my first time out because of all the studying and sacrifice of family time and leisure.
Real Estate Agent · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2016 · 408 posts · 242 votes
10y
Personally, it took me a couple of months. But I was full time at another job.
I took the course while I held my full time job. That took 3 months.
Application to actually schedule the test, processing time took a couple weeks.
I scheduled my test 1 month out so that I could study for it.
After I passed my test, I interviewed a couple of brokers and took 1 month with my decision.
Signed and had to wait a couple of weeks before the processing went through to actually hang my license.
Then and only then can you sign up with NAR and your local realtor association to get the MLS.
Real Estate Consultant · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 33 votes
10y
I used an online school and was able to spend 7 to 10 hours a day studying. I was able to go from registration to licensed in 2 1/2 weeks.
My recommendation on studying may only apply to the Washington state test so be forewarned. I found vocab and math to be the most essential. If you know those two things the application stuff on the national was pretty straight forward.
Good luck!