Rich Dad/Legacy Education in Portland, Oregon.... WTF!

Rich Dad/Legacy Education in Portland, Oregon.... WTF!

General Contractor & Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2013 · 46 posts · 33 votes

So by a series of circumstances my wife and I end up signing up for this 3-day Real Estate Investing seminar put on by Rich Dad/Legacy Education.  Holy Sh**!  What can I say other than this; An interesting approach/experience in human psychology and praying on the desperate and uneducated.

We left at lunch on the second day (today) and don't plan sitting through another minute of it.  We paid $300 ($150 each) to go to this thing.  The outline if the seminar said they would be going over  many different avenues of RE investments and basic investing techniques.  I am by no means a seasoned investor, but I'm not that green either.  Just wanted to expand my horizons as we learn more and build our investment business.

It was more like a religious revival than an educational seminar.  The speaker spent 90% of the time talking about how "rich" he is because he is smarter than us.  And we can also "become smart" by giving them $35,000 to $45,000 dollars to enlighten us.  We are trapped by our poor attitudes and small minds.  If we don't believe him and don't want to pay him, then we are weak and will never succeed.

I gotta say folks, our BS detectors were going off like crazy after the first 30 minutes Friday morning but I had already cleared my schedule, so what the hell.  The speaker I believe was genuinely a smart guy who has worked hard and wants to help people.  But almost every single person there had ZERO investing experience, very little money and are looking to better themselves and their station in life.

I could see the wide eyes and the nearly salivating mouths from some of these people at the prospect of what this dude was selling.  I wanted to jump out of my seat and yell 'This is BS!"  Luckily someone else did it before I did and was nicely escorted out of the ballroom.

Here is my main beef.  Many of these people are desperate to make a change in their lives and I can identify with that.  I went through that phase myself and continue to work at it when I feel necessary.  But these 'Guru's' are very skilled at using the psychology or fear, wealth, lost opportunity, security and love, to break down peoples barriers and get them to sign up for something that is beyond their scope and skill level to complete.  I do think some people will buy this and may even do well at it, but some of these folks could't follow the simple math of a basic RE deal yet looked eager to shell out $30,000 in financed tuition to be taught significantly complex transaction like lease options, short sales, tax liens, etc.  They are being set up to FAIL!  Will they get their money back if they fail?  Hell no they won't.

That's my rant people.  BEWARE.  We lost $300, no big deal.  We learned a little about real  estate and A LOT about shady marketing practices.

6Reply
100 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2013 · 210 posts · 138 votes
10y

For $40K, I'd go get a business degree at a state university or online...and take a real estate exam course.  Would have a MUCH broader financial education, and prospects in AND outside of real estate.  Hell, some MBAs don't cost that much...

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Isaaca Frost, you are not alone I went for one I was told I will get 3 guarantee deals if I pay $39k. I paid this amount no deal was given to me. We have to be very careful for this 3-day Real Estate Investing seminar.

  • Investor · Evans, GA · Member since 2015 · 190 posts · 103 votes
    10y

    Wow...so ~ $45,000 is the going rate of gaining "investing smarts" nowadays.  The unwashed masses are looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, so these guys will continue to peddle those dreams.  Just wondering, Isaac...do you know if they made a full court press to participants to increase credit card limits?

  • Bellevue, NE · Member since 2013 · 72 posts · 29 votes
    10y

    Isaac, 

    You left before the best part. I went to a similar Rich Dad seminar 2 years ago and the best part was at the end of day two they give you a script to use to call all is your credit card companies and get your limits raised. And it worked, my wife and tripled the limit on some of our cards. We didn't use the money for the advanced classes like they hoped, but my credit score sure liked the increases. 

  • Investor · Roanoke, VA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 374 votes
    10y

    do NOT pay these people nothing,there is no fast way into this business,there are no hourly pay checks on Friday 

    Good luck ?@Isaac Frost

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Isaac Frost  this has everything to do with the human psyche  and or the idea that for some reason Real Estate is this magical vehicle to untold rich's... and that anyone can do it and etc etc..

    When the facts are not everyone can.. and those that have no money no credit and no real drive will never do anything in RE , no matter if they pay for education,, read books,, listen to podcast after podcast.. spend hours trolling BP and asking questions...

    RE simply is not for everyone and that you can go from zero to an investor by learning some techniques etc.. you can learn all of these techniques here on BP or through gurus its all the same material it really is... one is free basically ( here on BP ) the other is paid for.. or you can go the private mentor route ( highly suggested for those WITH Money) and have some business background....

    I have been around all forms of RE training.. in the rich dad or any other guru if there is 300 people in the 5 day event... Maybe 10% with do any thing with it ,, maybe 1 to 2% with actually make what Many are hoping to make and that is 100k plus a year at this.

    if you have 300 people with no money no credit and not much business experience or savvy pop on to BP  I would say maybe 2 or 3 will actually do anything.. the numbers are the same or less.. because on BP there is no one interacting with you and your free just to kind of go away ...   Just pop on to any thread that is 2 to 3 years old here and you will hardly recognize any of the folks .

    Its like any SALES industry really small % make most of the money..

    So you were very correct in your assessment ... rich dad is trying to  sell 40k programs and the audicance the vast majority could never make it in RE in any way shape or form .  and its free enterprise.. I have many clients of mine that went through guru's and or HIGHLY paid mentors far more than a rich dad program and they are very successful.. I have met many on BP who are doing well also... but I firmly believe these folks would do well in any business they choose to enter.  that's my take on this whole thing.

    I have been to Armando's 5 day event  Vetucci's, A rich dad event... and others. so I have seen the whole presentations in person ... and that's my assessment.. I am there as an invited guest as I fund the students deals..  

    I liken this stuff to Time Share  sit through one of those presentations.. I go for the free rooms I get in Vegas and I enjoy listening to a pro sales person.. but then they hit you with 60k for a timeshare that you will have a hard time using just think how many people get sucked into those... LOL

  • Investor · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2013 · 210 posts · 138 votes
    10y

    For $40K, I'd go get a business degree at a state university or online...and take a real estate exam course.  Would have a MUCH broader financial education, and prospects in AND outside of real estate.  Hell, some MBAs don't cost that much...

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Karyn T.  Many of these folks would be SO better off spending the 500 to 700 and taking a RE licensing course.. that's one of the best values.. and you would be surprised when your in the industry how many doors may open for a person..

    Then hire on with a big sales team and earn while you learn the basics...

    in my day and of course that's way back in the dark ages that's how most of us started..

  • Rental Property Investor · Lynnwood, WA · Member since 2015 · 45 posts · 21 votes
    10y
    Let's just think about what on can do with 40k in real estate investing..... Whenever somebody tells you that there is a short cut to wealth, They are more often than not trying to sell you that short cut too... Like I have often done when seeking out my mentors... I will give you an agreed percentage in my profits... But I will never take money out of my pockets to pay for it...
  • Investor · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2013 · 210 posts · 138 votes
    10y

    @Jay Hinrichs  Exactly.  I've yet to take any of my exams (due to traveling for my "day-job") but I've taken the course in 3 states.  Even learning the subtle differences between different states and regions is a huge learning advantage.  It's not to say I'm an "expert" now, but I definitely feel like I have a strong foundation.  Under the guidance of a good mentor, when the time is right, I'm quite confident one could be QUITE profitable with a much less expensive "education".

    Total investment: <$1200

  • Investor · SSF, CA · Member since 2015 · 127 posts · 24 votes
    10y
    Best way to learn is to befriend an investor and over the course a million cups of coffee, ask what they wish they had done differently. My strategy is to be the second mouse that gets the cheese. :)
  • Investor · SSF, CA · Member since 2015 · 127 posts · 24 votes
    10y
    As the saying goes, "He who seeks to get rich in a year is hanged in a month." Some things are just too good to be true.
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Karyn T. and in hot markets if one does want to be in the game to not have direct access to MLS is really a handicap in my mind.. I pay only about 2k a year for my MLS dues and board dues and of course I only use the MLS for data information but its invaluable to me.. plus I can get into any listed home I want .. I really can't see how folks miss this as to the advantages it creates for an investor and or especially a flipper.

  • General Contractor & Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2013 · 46 posts · 33 votes
    10y

    @Jade S. Yes they dropped the credit card shuffle on us the first day.  They also showed a regular amortization schedule and showed us how much goes to principle and interest and how bi-weekly payments can lower your payment period and people (even current home owners with a mortgage) were acting like this was some sort secret formula!  I was like 'YO people, this is financial literacy 101!  Not investing secrets!"

  • General Contractor & Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2013 · 46 posts · 33 votes
    10y

    @Jay Hinrichs My wife just finished her RE training and is taking her test next Friday, I agree 100% about the value in that.

     I met you briefly last spring in LO at a BP meet up where you talked a bit about hard money and Turnkey Reviews.  Got more out of that 1.5 hours and the people I met that night than I did in 2 days at this seminar.  

    I was just starting my first major flip then. Met some great folks, got some good advice and closed the deal mid December with money in the bank in time for Christmas : )

     I'll post the details of that in the appropriate forum soon.

  • Hurst, TX · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    i will probably get alot of hate since rich dad/poor dad is worshipped here, but those guys are constantly fighting off lawsuits about how they basically just push 5k/10k/15k seminars without giving any real info that wasnt already in the book. 

    The book was good but basically was a weakly veiled attempt at pushing the seminars.

    There was great information in the book but i consider the people involved to be just another set of scammers praying on the weak.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Isaac Frost  I am a reverse guru.. I provided the room  ( my office) and I bought the pizza and drinks for the 50 people that showed up that night.... I went in the hole to give free advice LOL.

    congrats on your flip and also your doing what most successful flippers do that I see especially here in Oregon.. Hubby does the work wife list and sells them..

    I have a partner that we are just starting.. and its two hubbys and two wives.. both wives are agents hubbies do the rehab etc.. and they are nailing it.. done very well for them selves. 

  • Dana WhickerPro Member
    Investor · Fernandina Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 557 posts · 374 votes
    10y

    There should be a sticky at the top of the forums that just says - read everything by the following posters:

    Bill Gulley

    Jay Hinrichs

    Rick Harmon

    J. Scott

    Wayne Brooks

    Somebody I forgot

    Before posting anything.

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 149 posts · 75 votes
    10y

    @Jay Hinrichs I have a question. I am starting out and would have taken the RE exam now that I finished with school recently, but I cannot hold a RE license due to compliance reasons at the company i'll be working for full time in a few months. Suggestions on that? Been wondering how I should adapt to stay on top of information in the future.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Austin Mudd  never been asked this question.. as so many agents that have worked for me over the years and my dads company moon lighted.. not sure how that affects your current.. job.  have your sig other get their license

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 149 posts · 75 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Austin Mudd  never been asked this question.. as so many agents that have worked for me over the years and my dads company moon lighted.. not sure how that affects your current.. job.  have your sig other get their license

     Good answer, thanks. Although my mom is getting her license where I live now (CA), I will be moving to PA for work for about 2 years or so. No SO's (yet?) or family out there.

  • Investor · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2013 · 210 posts · 138 votes
    10y

    @Austin 

    Seems strange that an employer can dictate what other licenses and/or business opportunities you do in your spare time.  I'd look into that.  

    I'm not talking about no-compete, that's a completely separate issue that many of us have to deal with one way or another, but "compliance"?  What does having a RE license have to do with anything?  I work in, arguably, the most regulated industry in the country (healthcare) and they can't say a thing about my outside interests (unless I'm unethical, and then it could translate to losing my medical license, potentially).  Weird.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Eugene, OR · Member since 2010 · 177 posts · 55 votes
    10y

    Just thought I'd share a coincidence that happened on Day 2 of that Rich Dad "seminar". I just happened to have the banquet room next door with a Northwest REIA seminar on Marketing Your REI business on the web. A one day class teaching social marketing and web marketing - how to.

    As the class was going on, I was outside in the hall and two men walked by looking into my class, saying "what's going on in there? - That looks a lot more educational than what we're getting. I say we go to that class instead."  They went outside, came back to me and asked about it. 

    I told them about REIA, and they said they had no idea REIA existed. They were completely upset about the bull crap being pushed in the Rich Dad seminar, which I understood completely. I asked "has the speaker started shedding tears yet?" and admitted that I spent $18k at my Rich Dad experience years ago, which was a complete waste of money, except for it made me commit to my dream. ...

    They went back to the Rich Dad, came back out with a 3rd person and said they each got their $300 investment back!  They were so proud of themselves.

    I gave them my advise: Check out Northwest REIA where the education is free. - They said they will.
    and go to BiggerPockets.com and start listening today to the podcasts.  - They said they will!

    I didn't purposely poach. However, if I'd realized from the beginning that they were in the building I would have put our banner up! I truly believe in our REIA and in BP.

  • Malvern, PA · Member since 2016 · 25 posts · 4 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Dana Whicker:

    There should be a sticky at the top of the forums that just says - read everything by the following posters:

    Bill Gulley

    Jay Hinrichs

    Rick Harmon

    J. Scott

    Wayne Brooks

    Somebody I forgot

    Before posting anything.

    Thank you for the advise, oops I just posted.

  • General Contractor & Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2013 · 46 posts · 33 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Grace Widdicombe:

    Just thought I'd share a coincidence that happened on Day 2 of that Rich Dad "seminar". I just happened to have the banquet room next door with a Northwest REIA seminar on Marketing Your REI business on the web. A one day class teaching social marketing and web marketing - how to.

    As the class was going on, I was outside in the hall and two men walked by looking into my class, saying "what's going on in there? - That looks a lot more educational than what we're getting. I say we go to that class instead."  They went outside, came back to me and asked about it. 

    I told them about REIA, and they said they had no idea REIA existed. They were completely upset about the bull crap being pushed in the Rich Dad seminar, which I understood completely. I asked "has the speaker started shedding tears yet?" and admitted that I spent $18k at my Rich Dad experience years ago, which was a complete waste of money, except for it made me commit to my dream. ...

    They went back to the Rich Dad, came back out with a 3rd person and said they each got their $300 investment back!  They were so proud of themselves.

    I gave them my advise: Check out Northwest REIA where the education is free. - They said they will.
    and go to BiggerPockets.com and start listening today to the podcasts.  - They said they will!

    I didn't purposely poach. However, if I'd realized from the beginning that they were in the building I would have put our banner up! I truly believe in our REIA and in BP.

     Yeah I almost walked out with those guys. I should have. They are the ones that stood up and called BS to these guys. Loved it.

    I already have spent some time here on BP prior to going to this event and met some great people in town as a result. 

    Just another reason to not throw money at these supposed "Gurus". 

  • Real Estate Agent · Fountain Valley, CA · Member since 2015 · 83 posts · 27 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Isaac Frost:

    So by a series of circumstances my wife and I end up signing up for this 3-day Real Estate Investing seminar put on by Rich Dad/Legacy Education.  Holy Sh**!  What can I say other than this; An interesting approach/experience in human psychology and praying on the desperate and uneducated.

    We left at lunch on the second day (today) and don't plan sitting through another minute of it.  We paid $300 ($150 each) to go to this thing.  The outline if the seminar said they would be going over  many different avenues of RE investments and basic investing techniques.  I am by no means a seasoned investor, but I'm not that green either.  Just wanted to expand my horizons as we learn more and build our investment business.

    It was more like a religious revival than an educational seminar.  The speaker spent 90% of the time talking about how "rich" he is because he is smarter than us.  And we can also "become smart" by giving them $35,000 to $45,000 dollars to enlighten us.  We are trapped by our poor attitudes and small minds.  If we don't believe him and don't want to pay him, then we are weak and will never succeed.

    I gotta say folks, our BS detectors were going off like crazy after the first 30 minutes Friday morning but I had already cleared my schedule, so what the hell.  The speaker I believe was genuinely a smart guy who has worked hard and wants to help people.  But almost every single person there had ZERO investing experience, very little money and are looking to better themselves and their station in life.

    I could see the wide eyes and the nearly salivating mouths from some of these people at the prospect of what this dude was selling.  I wanted to jump out of my seat and yell 'This is BS!"  Luckily someone else did it before I did and was nicely escorted out of the ballroom.

    Here is my main beef.  Many of these people are desperate to make a change in their lives and I can identify with that.  I went through that phase myself and continue to work at it when I feel necessary.  But these 'Guru's' are very skilled at using the psychology or fear, wealth, lost opportunity, security and love, to break down peoples barriers and get them to sign up for something that is beyond their scope and skill level to complete.  I do think some people will buy this and may even do well at it, but some of these folks could't follow the simple math of a basic RE deal yet looked eager to shell out $30,000 in financed tuition to be taught significantly complex transaction like lease options, short sales, tax liens, etc.  They are being set up to FAIL!  Will they get their money back if they fail?  Hell no they won't.

    That's my rant people.  BEWARE.  We lost $300, no big deal.  We learned a little about real  estate and A LOT about shady marketing practices.

     Hey Isaac, 

    I called my bank and requested to dispute the $300 charge. I told my bank that I was a victim of false advertising and that the NOR (notice of rescission) was a month before the seminar even took place. After a couple of months I won the dispute and got my money back.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.