Property Tax Sales in Ontario

Property Tax Sales in Ontario

Rental Property Investor · Windsor, ON · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 5 votes

Hi Everyone,
I'm exploring this option and wondering if anyone here has gone though it in Ontario.  I know you must have a 20% deposit with your tender, however you do not usually get vacant possession.  How long and how expensive is the process to get the vacant possession? What are some things that can go astray when purchasing Property Tax Sales?

0Reply
27 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Hi Tudor,

    Did you ever get the answers you were looking for? Have you purchased any tax sales? If so can you please give me some background on what to expect? I am new to the process and looking for some guidance. 

    Thank you

  • Rental Property Investor · Windsor, ON · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    I got some answers by doing more research. I’ve bid on a couple houses but they were both redeemed by owner the day of the sale. It’s hard to get a deal on a quality or semi decent house that is a) not redeemed by owner last minute or b) not highly overbid to regular market price by other investors

  • Investor · Ontario · Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    I am curious to learn more about buying and developing Ontario Tax Sale properties. 

    Has anyone here successfully bought a Tax Sale property in Ontario? 

    Are there any other websites or resources beyond these to find Tax Sale properties? https://www.ontariotaxsales.ca https://surplusproperty.ca/ 

    Are these websites legit? 

    Should I have my lawyer do a title search prior to bidding? 

    Outside of not winning the bid, what are some other challenges or considerations to keep in mind when purchasing Tax Sale properties? 

    Thanks in advance to anyone who answers or shares their experience! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.