Montreal Real Estate Jobs (Should I become an agent?)

Montreal Real Estate Jobs (Should I become an agent?)

Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 1 vote

Hello everyone!

I am making a move to Montreal from Florida. I am a recent undergraduate from the University of South Florida, graduating from the Honors College with two bachelors. I have experience mostly in web content creation and editing in the form of news writing and journalism. However, I have experience as a legal assistant, Russian translation, event planning, content management, and English instruction! Like everyone here, real estate is my passion. 

I am making the move to Montreal after studying abroad here and really liking the potential yearly growth in sales prices. Also, the Canadian dollar being lower than the US, stretches my initial capital. I wanted to invest here - that is my main goal. However, I am also starting my career, now that I have finished university. I would love to become a real estate agent, but my French is not at a working level, (yet). Also, I want to soak up as much knowledge and experience as I can so that when I do invest, it will be a very informed decision. 

What would you recommend? I want to find a position where I can grow in the career long term and have the option to apply my experience in an American position (in the event I move back). Also, I am interested in real estate development or general sales. What is the best way for me to start a career while also getting educated in the market (so that I can put all of my future salary into investing in it :D) ?

1Reply
33 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Montreal, Québec · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    Agent life is a tough gig, make sure you know what you're getting in to. I have an office next to one of the largest real estate agency's in Quebec (independent) and see the struggles they go through daily. I also see the riches some of them achieve and how the top brokers happen to be the same guys and girls I see in the office at 6am when I usually get in and leave when I do late in the day. It's a grind and a half I would NEVER want to do.

    Easiest way to do it I would say is start working in the business somehow (assistant to an agent, receptioninst, wtvr!) , itll give you a taste for the business, Do your agent classes during that time (more school yay) and by the 1 year mark you're ready to roll. 

  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Hello Yan! Thank you for replying to my post. That's an interesting observation. I definitely would like to find exposure in some way. I will search for some opportunities and see what I can find!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.