I Need Connections in the Norfolk Area

I Need Connections in the Norfolk Area

Justin PiercePro Member
Rental Property Investor · Woodbridge, VA · Member since 2008 · 543 posts · 121 votes

We're located in Northern Virginia.  For the past 8 year's we've done very well flipping homes in the D.C. Area.  We have cash and we want to put it into cash flowing assets in other markets.  The Norfolk area is one that we've identified as a target market.

I have a portfolio of properties in a coastal county in NC so I know that flood zones and the associated insurance can be a cash flow killer.  Does anyone have anyone have any other suggestions on areas to focus on or stay away from?

1Reply
69 views

Most Popular Reply

Patti RobertsonBusiness Member
Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y

Hi Justin.  I landlord and PM in all of our cities.  One other tip is to be sure all of your offers are contingent on a moisture termite inspection, even if they are as/is.  Ask me how I know.  ;) 

Also in Norfolk specifically, if you contract a duplex that is vacant, confirm current zoning to see if it is conforming or non-conforming.  Norfolk is trying to reduce density and many of the old duplexes are non-conforming. That's not a problem if the property has been occupied and operating as a duplex in the last two years, but once they are vacant for two years or entered into use as a single family home for at least two years, the grandfather expires and you have to convert it to a single family.  Fortunately I have never personally made this mistake and a friend who did shared his story with me so I was able to learn from his mistake.  I've known several other investors who purchased duplexes though, intending to use them as duplexes, only to get a rude awakening from the city.

Also, be aware of historic zones.  While they do offer historic tax credits, they do limit what you can do and greatly lengthen the time it takes to get any renovations made.

See this reply in the discussion

55 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Annandale, VA · Member since 2015 · 54 posts · 10 votes
    8y

    All, what are your thoughts on the raising prices in the Hampton area, is it getting too high? Prices have doubled since last year. I think there are still some room so not panicking but keeping an eye out. Hoping the area won't get overpriced.  

  • Alexandria, VA · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Jimmy have you received any feedback on your last question here, whether Hampton Roads is overpriced? It's a tough thing to judge since a lot has to do with predicting the underlying economy and future potential.

    I'm very interested in the underlying economies, seeing if they'll continue to improve over time and be less dependent on the military budget. I'm just trying to look ahead to see how the area will react when we have another economic pullback. Been reading over past real estate market analyses from Portsmouth and downtown Hampton and trying to gauge how much has changed/improved since they were published.

    I plan to start purchasing multi-fams in the area early next year, taking the rest of the year to research.

    Thanks all for the phenomenal local area insight!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.