Meetup in Tokyo - any interest??

Meetup in Tokyo - any interest??

Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 101 votes

Dear Fellow BPers in and around Tokyo Japan.

I would like to get a small informal get-together going on a regular basis somewhere in Tokyo. Open to anyone willing to make the trip of course, but likely folks from the Kanto area - Yokohama, Chiba, Saitama, Kanagawa, Ibaraki, etc?

Please reply here in case you're interested, and if you want to help organize, even better! :)

Let's try to get the first meeting going in the next 2-3 weeks, then hopefully make it a monthly thing??

@Pyrrha Rivers

@Kristin Shitara

@Naga A.

@Zachary D.

@Nick Brubaker

@Maria Kovach

@Greg Christensen

Please feel free to tag and invite anyone else that you know who might be interested!

Best Regards,

-Dmitri

2Reply
997 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
10y

@Daniel 

@Daniel Ryu Thank you for the link to your article. I can't wait to read it and share it. All who attended the small joint meetup last month invest in the US. I am hoping to grow our local group in Yokosuka and this type of resource will be very helpful because having a roadmap from someone who has traveled the way we want to go is always helpful because it makes what seems impossible more real and attainable. I'm sharing it with the Yokosuka group and suggesting we have a discussion on it when we meet.

We are in our infancy stage, so no, we have not yet thrown our meetup on Meetup.com

Thanks for sharing!

See this reply in the discussion

214 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    Quite understandable @Dan Baker. I have the same problem attending a meeting in Tokyo. Very far. Thank you for participating and pointing others toward this thread. Hope to meet you at another time.

  • Invester/ wellness coach. · Akiruno Shi, Tōkyō-to · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    you'll see me around. Hopefully next month after I get back, I'll have more time to meet with everyone.  

    @Prrha Rivers

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    Okay folks,

    Don't know what's happened with @Dmitri L.but September 17th is right around the corner and I haven't heard anything regarding the Tokyo head count.

    So far the head count I have is 4 people. Should we move ahead with this meeting? Please let me know.

     @Matthew Pinkston - Yokohama 

    @Trevor Moss- Tokyo

    @Leo A. - Yokosuka

    & Pyrrha Rivers - Yokosuka

  • Rental Property Investor · Yokohama Shi, Kanagawa-ken · Member since 2015 · 81 posts · 30 votes
    11y

    I'm personally still all for it, even if the group is small. 

    If it's just a matter of finding and reserving a venue at this point, I'd be happy to try to come up with a few suggestions.

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    @Matthew Pinkston That's great to hear. I would love to keep the meeting as scheduled.

    Since you live in the area, do you know of a venue that may be appropriate? I think an izakaya may work well since they offer a variety of small dishes and most people will be able to find something of their liking. Since the group will be small, I don't think making a reservation will be necessary. What do you think?

  • Rental Property Investor · Yokohama Shi, Kanagawa-ken · Member since 2015 · 81 posts · 30 votes
    11y

    @Pyrrha Rivers an Izakaya sounds perfectly good to me! And the area around Yokohama station is littered with them, so finding one should be a breeze. The only drawback might be that they tend to be a little smokey and are a bit noisier. Is that ok with everyone? (I'm fine with it, but just wanted to check). 

    If so, I like this place (uotorahonten - apologies for the link being in Japanese): http://tabelog.com/kanagawa/A1401/A140101/14006982...It's mainly seafood, but there's other options too. 

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    @Matthew PinkstonThanks for the link. I think this place will be just fine. You're right about the smoke issue but I think it is a given here in Japan.

    How about it @Leo A.?

    Let's meet at uotorahonten Thursday, September 17th at 7:30.

    Yeah! we have a plan!

  • Investor · Ballwin, MO · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    Looks good to me!

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    So that's three of us checked in. Let's see what @Leo A.says and hope any others following this thread decide to join us.

  • Real Estate Investor · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2015 · 36 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    Hello. I'm in Tokyo until November but I'll be outside the Kanto area next week. Please keep me in the loop if there will be another one in Oct.! Thanks

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    Hello @Allan L.. Welcome to our discussion! I believe there will be another meeting in October in Tokyo and I will certainly try to have one in Yokosuka.

    This is intended to be a joint meeting that's why we're coming together half way and if all goes well we'll have our separate meeting on even months and a joint meeting on odd months in hopes to give everyone opportunities to network with a larger and more varied number of individuals.

    Please follow this topic so you can be aware of plans as they are made.

  • Real Estate Investor · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2015 · 36 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    @Pyrrha Rivers   Thanks :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Ventura, CA · Member since 2014 · 50 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    Greetings,

    Apologize for the late reply. I am still in at uotorahonten Thursday, September 17th at 7:30. 

    Already excited to part of this meetup and thanks for the location link.

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    Wonderful!

    So I will see you on Thursday at 7:30 @Matthew Pinkston, @Trevor Moss, @Allan L. and @Leo A.. 5 of us, Yea! And any others following you are welcome to join, even if you have not posted and find yourself with a bit of time Thursday evening. Just come and find us at uotorahonten. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Ventura, CA · Member since 2014 · 50 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    @Pyrrha RiversAll right and Thanks! See you all on Thursday.

    @George Calbert Please check this thread. A Yokosuka meet up is being planned as well.

    Thanks and regards to all.

  • Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    Hi everyone, sorry for the long AWOL! I should be able to make it Thursday, so see you all there! Thanks for setting it up!

    Dmitri

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    Oh! so good to hear from @Dmitri L.! See you on Thursday.

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    Thanks to my wonderful friend Seiko, we now have a reservation and perhaps even a 10% coupon! Reservation name: Rivers.

    For those of you who are like me and have difficulty with directions, my friend got some guidance for us. Take the North West exit from Yokohama Station. (The exit where TGI Friday's is).

    There is More's Shopping mall on the right and Prince Kaikan is on the left. the Izakaya is on the 2nd floor about 132 meters from the station.

    I hope this helps. I will be using it to ask for help if I don't find it essily.

    See you there! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Yokohama Shi, Kanagawa-ken · Member since 2015 · 81 posts · 30 votes
    11y

    @Pyrrha Rivers give Seiko my thanks, and thank you for your efforts in coordinating this! It looks like it will be a decent turnout, and I'm really excited to be able to meet everyone!

    Kanpai!

  • Investor · Ballwin, MO · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    Sorry for the last minute notice.  Had something come up at work that I cannot get out of :(  Will try to make it next time!

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    I will tell Seiko @Matthew Pinkston Kampai!

    @Trevor MossWe'll miss you but will see you next time we have a joint meetup.

    @Matthew Pinkston

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    Our meetup was small but not only great fun but quite informative. Thank you @Matthew Pinkstonfor suggesting the venue and ordering the delicious food. I look forward to meeting with the Yokosuka folks in October and hopefully have another joint meeting in November with the Tokyo people.

  • Investor · Suwanee, GA · Member since 2014 · 579 posts · 347 votes
    11y

    @Pyrrha Rivers

    Hey guys, 

    How's our neighboring meetup to the East doing? ^^ Looks like you had a great time!

    I was wondering - are most of your members investing in US properties or in Japan?

    If it's US properties, I just wrote a +3,000 word blog post on Investing from Out of Country. Feel free to share with your membership if you think it might be helpful. I basically went through the steps I took to get my first investment in Jacksonville, Florida, including internet tools, resources, etc. 

    I didn't go over partnering or finances - I might cover that in a later post.

    Have you guys thrown your meetup on Meetup.com? 

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    10y

    @Daniel 

    @Daniel Ryu Thank you for the link to your article. I can't wait to read it and share it. All who attended the small joint meetup last month invest in the US. I am hoping to grow our local group in Yokosuka and this type of resource will be very helpful because having a roadmap from someone who has traveled the way we want to go is always helpful because it makes what seems impossible more real and attainable. I'm sharing it with the Yokosuka group and suggesting we have a discussion on it when we meet.

    We are in our infancy stage, so no, we have not yet thrown our meetup on Meetup.com

    Thanks for sharing!

  • Investor · Ballwin, MO · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Thanks Daniel Ryu.  Interesting strategy.  I usually purchase in areas I am familiar with.  Try to go for cap rates lightly better than market, but not much better as had bad experience with super high yielding props.   Been toying with multifam deals outside my comfort zone back stateside.  Will look at some of the tips in your article.

    Thanks,

    Trevor

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.