Meetup in Tokyo - any interest??

Meetup in Tokyo - any interest??

Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 101 votes

Dear Fellow BPers in and around Tokyo Japan.

I would like to get a small informal get-together going on a regular basis somewhere in Tokyo. Open to anyone willing to make the trip of course, but likely folks from the Kanto area - Yokohama, Chiba, Saitama, Kanagawa, Ibaraki, etc?

Please reply here in case you're interested, and if you want to help organize, even better! :)

Let's try to get the first meeting going in the next 2-3 weeks, then hopefully make it a monthly thing??

@Pyrrha Rivers

@Kristin Shitara

@Naga A.

@Zachary D.

@Nick Brubaker

@Maria Kovach

@Greg Christensen

Please feel free to tag and invite anyone else that you know who might be interested!

Best Regards,

-Dmitri

2Reply
1,003 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
10y

@Daniel 

@Daniel Ryu Thank you for the link to your article. I can't wait to read it and share it. All who attended the small joint meetup last month invest in the US. I am hoping to grow our local group in Yokosuka and this type of resource will be very helpful because having a roadmap from someone who has traveled the way we want to go is always helpful because it makes what seems impossible more real and attainable. I'm sharing it with the Yokosuka group and suggesting we have a discussion on it when we meet.

We are in our infancy stage, so no, we have not yet thrown our meetup on Meetup.com

Thanks for sharing!

See this reply in the discussion

214 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    @Nick Brubaker

    @Naga A.

    The meeting is on for Wednesday! Sorry for the rushed planning. Hope you are both able to make it!

  • Decatur, GA · Member since 2015 · 419 posts · 52 votes
    11y

    Looks like I'll be able to make it tomorrow.  Looking forward to meeting everyone! 

  • Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    @Nick Brubaker

    That's great! See you there!

    @Naga A.

    Naga-san, are you able to make it?

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2010 · 186 posts · 14 votes
    11y

    @Dmitri L.undefined I think so unless something urgent comes up with my work, I should be able to make it. See you there.

  • Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    That's great! See you there!

    Dmitri

  • Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    On my way over, see everyone in a little bit!

  • Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    Hi Everyone,

    Thanks so much for coming out this week! I had a great time meeting everyone, and learned alot as well!

    Let's make this a regular thing! Since day/time seemed to work OK,let's set the next one:

    The next meeting will be Wednesday, August 12th at 7:30pm

    Please share any feedback on the venue - happy to use the same place, or go somewhere else.

    Regards,

    -Dmitri

    @Naga A.

    @Nick Brubaker

    @Dan Baker

  • Decatur, GA · Member since 2015 · 419 posts · 52 votes
    11y

    I had a great time meeting everyone on Wednesday!  I look forward to making it a monthly event.  

    I was going to suggest finding a place with better value, but after doing some searching online I didn't come up with much.  This place in Shibuya looks pretty good, but they don't take reservations: 

    http://en.southerntower.co.jp/dining/lounge-bar-so...

    We could also meet in the viewing lounge of my building in Ikebukuro, which is a great space and would be cheap (photos below):

    West Park Tower Ikebukuro

    3-21-13 Nishi-Ikebukuro

    Toshima-ku Tokyo

    I'm willing to go back to the original place as well.  

    We should try to promote the meetup a bit with other investors in the Tokyo area - the more the merrier.  I wonder if it would be worthwhile to make a group on meetup.com or something...

    @Naga A.

    @Dmitri L.

    @Dan Baker

    @Greg Christensen

  • Invester/ wellness coach. · Akiruno Shi, Tōkyō-to · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    there is a  group on meetup already.  I tried to contact the organizer about a month or so ago, but with not luck.  

      The last location was great, I'll be OK with anything as long as it's not more than an hour and 15 minutes from my house. 

  • Decatur, GA · Member since 2015 · 419 posts · 52 votes
    11y

    Hey guys!

    Is anyone still interested in meeting up again?  I can go ahead and reserve the space in my building (500 yen an hour total) if that appeals to everyone.  

    Also, my fiance's visa is moving right along and we are now looking to sell our English school.  Might any of you know anyone who would be interested?  The ad is below.  

    Hope to see you all and others soon!

    @Naga A.

    @Greg Christensen

    @Dmitri L.

    @Pyrrha Rivers

    @Dan Baker

    Small English school in Ikebukuro for sale! Be your own boss, set your own schedule, and make 6,000 yen an hour teaching 85 great adults students! The school will be sold soon and for a very reasonable and affordable price!

    More details here: http://englishnextdoor.com/english-school-for-sale/

    Contact us here: [email protected]

  • Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    Yes this is definitely happening. I'm ok with Ikebukuro if everyone else is. 

    Nick good luck with the sale!

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    @Dmitri L. I am so excited that you got this meet up to move forward. I will miss this month because I'm in the States, but look forward to attending in September. 

    Thanks for organizing! 

  • Decatur, GA · Member since 2015 · 419 posts · 52 votes
    11y

    The lounge is available next week on the evenings of the 10th, 14th, 15th, and 16th.  I was thinking of reserving the space for two hours from 20:00 to 22:00.  The lobby is comfortable too if we wanted to hang out before or after that.  

    Who would be game for those days and times?

    @Dmitri L.

    @Naga A.

    @Dan Baker

    @Greg Christensen

  • Invester/ wellness coach. · Akiruno Shi, Tōkyō-to · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    can't the 10th. Where is this place? 

  • Decatur, GA · Member since 2015 · 419 posts · 52 votes
    11y

    〒171-0021

    東京都豊島区西池袋3-21-13

    ウェストパークタワー池袋

    West park tower Ikebukuro

    3-21-13 Nishi-Ikebukuro

    Toshima-ku Tokyo

  • Rental Property Investor · Ventura, CA · Member since 2014 · 50 posts · 5 votes
    11y
    Dmitri L. Count me in as well. I will be back to Yokosuka by end of this month. George Calbert I hope u see this thread as well. Thanks and regards.
  • Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    I'll be out of country from 14th~ so can't do the later dates

    Let's stick with 12th as originally planned? I'll find an alternate venue

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    Please keep me posted for the September meeting.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2010 · 186 posts · 14 votes
    11y

    Sorry guys, can't this month.   Probably can in September.

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    I'm hoping to learn a lot from your September meet up so I can attempt to replicate it in Yokosuka. I just know that Tokyo at 8 pm on a week night is not something I can consistently manage but I am so excited that this is happening!

  • Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    @Pyrrha Rivers

    Yeah that's a good point, I think there's quite a few people from Yokosuka area.

    How about we have a joint meetup every other month, by meeting half-way in Yokohama? We can try that in September

  • Invester/ wellness coach. · Akiruno Shi, Tōkyō-to · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 9 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Nick Brubaker:

    〒171-0021

    東京都豊島区西池袋3-21-13

    ウェストパークタワー池袋

    West park tower Ikebukuro

    3-21-13 Nishi-Ikebukuro

    Toshima-ku Tokyo

     That's a bit far for me. I'll see what I can do. 

  • Decatur, GA · Member since 2015 · 419 posts · 52 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Dmitri L.:

    @Pyrrha Rivers

    Yeah that's a good point, I think there's quite a few people from Yokosuka area.

    How about we have a joint meetup every other month, by meeting half-way in Yokohama? We can try that in September

    That works.  Sounds like we could get a good-sized group next month.  

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    Yokohama is much easier for Yokosuka folks. I think it is a good idea to do it every other month so we can come together. So let's say odd months (September) Joint meet up in Yokohama and even months, the Yokosuka chapter meets in Yokosuka and the Tokyo chapter in Tokyo.

    You just don't know how excited I am about having a chance to meet.

    Thank you for the half way idea!

  • Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    @Dan Baker

    @Nick Brubaker

    @Leo A.

    Trying to reserve here tonight - will post again when confirmed

    http://shibuya.goodbeerfaucets.jp/

    See you there at 7:30 pm ?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.