how safe is Costa Rica for single American women

how safe is Costa Rica for single American women

Member since 2008 · 18 posts · 0 votes

Hi, I was wondering about international investing and wondered how safe it is in Costa Rica for single women?
For instance, I know that I do not feel very safe wandering around by myself in many latin American Countries as both cultural attitudes and laws have not seemed to progress much in those countries.

0Reply
11 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    19y

    I can't speak directly about how safe you will be, but Costa Rica is a wonderful place. I never had any trepidation about being anywhere in the country, but there are absolutely bad elements around. If you want to be 100% safe, you should just stay in your home. Otherwise, you are taking a risk going anywhere.

    Why not go and visit with a friend and see how comfortable you feel?

    It is absolutely worth it!

  • Member since 2008 · 18 posts · 0 votes
    19y

    Its good to hear you felt comfortable everywhere. So far I have only heard good things so it would seem a trip is in order!
    I am a well travelled person who lived in India and Europe for over a decade. However I have had 3 frightening incidents in Latin countries, especially Mexico, that make me really distrustful of their ability (or desire) to safeguard people. I guess the corruption in Mexico is pretty common knowledge and that seems to set a tone. I was wondering if Costa Rica had this type of feel to it.

    Best, Lisa

  • Central Valley · Member since 2008 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    That's a great question, and I'm sure you've heard some horror stories.

    To clarify, I've been living in Costa Rica since 2000. In 99.9% of the cases where you hear a woman was raped, kidnapped, abused, etc, there was one big factor involved: DRUGS.

    Many times women are on vacation and get out of control. It's like spring break in Cancun - stuff like that happens when your intentions are to get drunk. It's the same thing here. In 2000, a pair of 2o something women were raped and killed. Apparently they had met a pair of guys in a bar and started to do drugs with them. One thing led to another, and now they aren't with us. RIP. You must make good decisions. I can also tell you that most of the crime in the country is isolated to the Limon region, the East Coast of the country. I'm a male, in great shape, and I really watch mysefl there. Most crime in this country is petty, like stealing things like cameras, bikes, mopeds, etc.

    Bottom line, act like your in the "seedy" part of any US major city when your here and you'll be fine.

    best of luck!

  • Homeowner · Warsaw · Member since 2008 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    I didn't have bad experience in latin countries, such as Mexico for example. But, first off all I'm not a female, second I've always been there with well orientated Mexicans.

    Just watch yourself, it's better to be on the safe side.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.