Investor · Morris Plains, NJ · Member since 2017 · 294 posts · 47 votes
Do most landlords recharge for the water or just bake it into the rent? I know to keep trash and water in my name to not risk getting a lien placed on the property but wasn't sure what the norm is in terms of recharging the tenant for water or not.
Investor · lehigh valley, PA · Member since 2014 · 242 posts · 23 votes
8y
I keep the water in my name and forward the bill to the tenant that why I can make sure it gets paid on time. Yes you can put it in their name but if they dont pay it the borough will just put a lien on the property even though the bill is in their name they are technically not responsible for it, its the property owner.
Investor · Morris Plains, NJ · Member since 2017 · 294 posts · 47 votes
8y
@Jimmy S. i am considering doing the same. Wasn't sure if that would make my rentals less attractive to prospective tenants but it would allow me to minimize extra expenses and force the tenants to conserve water.
Rental Property Investor · Allentown, PA · Member since 2012 · 92 posts · 80 votes
8y
If it is a single family home we always make tenant responsible for water. LCA is quick to shut the water off to the home is the bill is not paid. Back when Allentown was in charge of the water and sewer billing, houses could go a year or more without paying and not getting shut off. LCA is on top of it, though.
Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 136 posts · 48 votes
8y
What about for a multi? Joe C, I have a duplex in Allentown, PA, and I currently pay the water bill. My property manager said I could try to charge them each half of the bill, but he wasn't sure it was legal to do so. I didn't want legal trouble, so it just reduces my NOI. Can I bill each tenant half the water?
Real Estate Agent · Allentown, PA · Member since 2016 · 197 posts · 181 votes
8y
Joe, you could do so with a ratio utility billing system (RUBS). That utilizes a formula (number of sqft, number of people per unit, washer dryer use, etc) to fairly pro rate the bill. You can also sub meter each unit, but that will cost you to get set up, whereas RUBS does not.
Rental Property Investor · Allentown, PA · Member since 2012 · 92 posts · 80 votes
8y
We use a RUBS allowance on some of our Allentown properties. Collections can be difficult sometimes. What we do instead for tenants that don’t pay the RUBS bill is increase their rent accordingly on renewals to cover water and sewer along with their regular annual renewal.
Rental Property Investor · Gulf Breeze, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 733 votes
8y
@Rigo V., @Basit Siddiqi has the right idea. You and @Joe Tomko can also look into what's called RUBS (ratio utility billing system). A legal way to bill back each tenant their fair usage of a master metered property. Based on a formula and easy to use spreadsheet.
Reading, PA · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 26 votes
8y
What about the Gas? I currently pay for the gas and turnaround and charge the tenant for it. However the tenant has not reimbursed me for the last 2 months. Can I legally remove it off my name?
What about the Gas? I currently pay for the gas and turnaround and charge the tenant for it. However the tenant has not reimbursed me for the last 2 months. Can I legally remove it off my name?
I do not think so. That would be called self help eviction I believe its called. If its in the lease they pay for it you could take them to court for it.