FHA: Househacking vs. nicer SFR

FHA: Househacking vs. nicer SFR

Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 2 votes

Hello All,

So I'm looking for some personal opinion, preferences, and insight.

I'm beginning the search for my second property (first closes on 7/8 hopefully) and I would like to either use the FHA and 3.5% down route to buy more, and purchase a 2-4 unit, living in one side for at least a year, aka a househack,

or,

I would like to find an area in the Greater Pittsburgh area, SFR, for about $165,000 or less (this would ensure I'm paying less on the mortgage then I currently am while I'm renting, with the intent to make larger payments I'm used to making and paying it down quicker). I know appreciation can be a gamble, as compared to cash flow. So, while being able to rent it out when I move and cash flow (even if it's still highly leveraged with the same initial mortgage payment) I would also like a place that is at least stable, with a decent chance for appreciation.

I have begun to look in areas such as Moon, Mt. Lebanon, and Dormont to keep the commute to work 45 minutes or less.

Does anyone have any personal opinions, hack vs. SFR, as well as locations to begin looking for both.

Thank you.

0Reply
23 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 846 votes
    10y

    Hi @Timothy Lon,

    I live/invest (house hack myself) in Dormont and would be happy to set down and talk about the area if you are ever interested.

    In my opinion the house hack is the way to go because once you get it rented you can continue to save for your third property much more quickly! You'll also get some appreciation if you buy right because rents in those areas are reasonably high and some owners aren't charging what the market will bear.

    I'll send a connection request with my contact information. Feel free to text or call and I'd be happy to sit down and discuss with you.

    Best of Luck,

    Tony

  • Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 821 posts · 255 votes
    10y

    Hi Timothy, sounds like a great discussion that I have a lot of insight into. Feel free to reach out to me. 

    Thanks, 

    Gary

  • Engineer/Real Estate Investor · Renton, WA · Member since 2015 · 368 posts · 120 votes
    10y

    Hi @Timothy Lon,

    I personally prefer the idea of house hacking. I think its a more effective use of funds. If you purchase a multi unit rather than use more of your own funds to pay down the loan, you're using other people's money to do it. 

    I live in CA, so I obviously don't know your area, but in general I like the idea of loan pay down with OPM and save, and or reinvest my own money. 

    Best of luck,

    Pete

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    10y

    Stay away from SFHs if you are needing cash flow. Three or more income streams under one roof is a far wiser investment. 

  • Newark, NJ · Member since 2015 · 162 posts · 102 votes
    10y
    HI Timothy Lon , It all depends on your goals. For the additional comfort of privacy, a SFH; house hacking for getting on the path towards financial independence. I'm going to assume you haven't read Kiyosaki's Rich Dad, Poor Dad, and you just got to. The principles why most here will tell you to house hack are spelled out in that book. There's a reason 90% of the guests in the podcast mention that book as their favorite/most influential.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.