BRRRR ("fix and rent") in Oklahoma City area

BRRRR ("fix and rent") in Oklahoma City area

New York City, NY · Member since 2016 · 470 posts · 348 votes

I'm curious if BRRRR ("fix & rent") works in the OKC metro area. Essentially, the ability to have your purchase price + rehab costs <70% of the ARV, so after you rehab you can find tenants & then refinance to get all of your cash back. I'm sure there must be some areas / neighborhoods where this works? Of course, the other requirement is that the rental income is enough to cover your mortgage + expenses on the back-end. So this tends to work best in middle class neighborhoods.

Are there any licensed real estate brokers / agents who can help me find such properties? Not interested in Turnkey btw - I'd rather buy pre-renovation (not post-renovation) to capture the equity myself.

0Reply
37 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2010 · 279 posts · 90 votes
9y

It's works great here in OKC. I only buy properties that I can "BRRRR", though I've been doing that for years before anyone called it BRRRR, ha ha.

I was sharing with one of my students how I buy properties and like to get all my cash back and he said, "It's like getting a free house!" Whoa! I never thought of it like that. I just wanted my cash out and be into it around $0 with infinite ROI, ha ha. So, think of it "getting a free house!" It works.

Several banks will do it and some will even fund you in full when you have proven yourself.

Private lending is easy...very easy to raise here so that it helps with paying CASH for you to REFI out later.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Fairfield, TX · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    9y
    I'm trying to analyze that area as well.
  • edmond, OK · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    It can work, but it is really competitive with the properties that it would work on. I'm trying to land a BRRRR property now. I'd look in areas such as The Village, Midwest city, and Del City near Tinker Air Force base, and some areas near downtown.

  • Rental Property Investor · Edmond, OK · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    We are working the area also. I would agree that it is really competitive. This is especially the case with pre-renovation. I am going to start marketing to see if I can get some deals. My wife is a realtor and has several investor clients. She can send you active listings and get access to listed properties.

  • Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2010 · 279 posts · 90 votes
    9y

    It's works great here in OKC. I only buy properties that I can "BRRRR", though I've been doing that for years before anyone called it BRRRR, ha ha.

    I was sharing with one of my students how I buy properties and like to get all my cash back and he said, "It's like getting a free house!" Whoa! I never thought of it like that. I just wanted my cash out and be into it around $0 with infinite ROI, ha ha. So, think of it "getting a free house!" It works.

    Several banks will do it and some will even fund you in full when you have proven yourself.

    Private lending is easy...very easy to raise here so that it helps with paying CASH for you to REFI out later.

  • Rhett TullisBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 617 votes
    9y

    i do it a couple times a month so i think it is doable but it depends on your long term goals and what type of property you are looking at.

  • Deborah BurianPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 412 votes
    9y

    I just did one and it's nicely profitable but it was a good buy in an area I know very well.  My current issue is I can't get 80% of appraised value on the re-fi with my current bank until it's seasoned for a year.  There are ways around it but I didn't ask the right questions before I bought.  Still a good deal but will be wiser about the process next time.  

  • Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2016 · 31 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    Hi Deborah, can you explain what those questions you should have asked are? Thanks!

  • New York City, NY · Member since 2016 · 470 posts · 348 votes
    9y

    @Deborah Burian Yeah, definitely curious what you could have done differently.

    Also, if you want your money back in order to complete another deal, you can always get a HML during the seasoning period I believe. Plus it's low risk to them bc the rehab is done & the property is tenanted - it's just a bridge loan

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.