Would You Invest in St. Louis or Omaha?

Would You Invest in St. Louis or Omaha?

Investor · Berwyn, IL · Member since 2018 · 104 posts · 71 votes

Hello BP,

I am looking at switching jobs in the near future and right now it looks like it might be between 2 jobs, one would be near Saint Louis MO and the other near Omaha NE. Since I ultimately want to make real estate a large part of my portfolio, I want to consider the location for investing long term when I accept another job. Right now, I am still new and have not made any purchases yet but am hoping to once I have a more stable job location.

If you were choosing between STL or Omaha, which would you pick and why (or why not)?

Any input that the community has would be great! Benefits/drawbacks, population growth, potential appreciation, strategies, best investing areas, price/rent ratios, job types in the area, etc.

Thank you!

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2015 · 366 posts · 184 votes
7y

My unbiased opinion would be Omaha:)

Ok, maybe it’s a little biased. But, I do love this city. We have a stellar rental market and slow growing appreciation. This may not be everyone’s ideal recipe, but if/when markets drop, I enjoy the minimal disruption here. 

And we have a nice zoo. 

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2015 · 366 posts · 184 votes
    7y

    My unbiased opinion would be Omaha:)

    Ok, maybe it’s a little biased. But, I do love this city. We have a stellar rental market and slow growing appreciation. This may not be everyone’s ideal recipe, but if/when markets drop, I enjoy the minimal disruption here. 

    And we have a nice zoo. 

  • Omaha, NE · Member since 2017 · 50 posts · 29 votes
    7y
    If 7% appreciation is “slow growing” I’ll take it every year. 

    http://www.oabrdocs.com/1/stats/OmahaAreaRegion5_19.pdf

    Originally posted by @Kyle Godbout:

    My unbiased opinion would be Omaha:)

    Ok, maybe it’s a little biased. But, I do love this city. We have a stellar rental market and slow growing appreciation. This may not be everyone’s ideal recipe, but if/when markets drop, I enjoy the minimal disruption here. 

    And we have a nice zoo. 

  • Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 118 posts · 102 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Kyle Godbout:

    My unbiased opinion would be Omaha:)

    Ok, maybe it’s a little biased. But, I do love this city. We have a stellar rental market and slow growing appreciation. This may not be everyone’s ideal recipe, but if/when markets drop, I enjoy the minimal disruption here. 

    And we have a nice zoo. 

    Hi

    kyle

    i m recently checking out the SF in Omaha , do you have good property management company to recommend?

    also what do you think the zip code 68105 neighbor good to invest?

    thank you !

    gaby   

  • Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 118 posts · 102 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Kyle Godbout:

    My unbiased opinion would be Omaha:)

    Ok, maybe it’s a little biased. But, I do love this city. We have a stellar rental market and slow growing appreciation. This may not be everyone’s ideal recipe, but if/when markets drop, I enjoy the minimal disruption here. 

    And we have a nice zoo. 

    Hi

    kyle

    i m recently checking out the SF in Omaha , do you have good property management company to recommend?

    also what do you think the zip code 68105 neighbor good to invest?

    thank you !

    gaby   

  • Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2015 · 366 posts · 184 votes
    7y

    @Gaby Liu

    68105 has some areas I wouldn’t hesitate to invest in. Close to the end center, downtown, midtown, and other desirable areas. As with most places, there may be pockets of area that differ from each other. I manage all my own stuff, so have never really researched other companies.

  • Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 118 posts · 102 votes
    7y

    Thank you ,Kyle !

  • Omaha, NE · Member since 2018 · 35 posts · 60 votes
    7y

    Omaha is great! Let me know if you have any questions about it!  You definitely want a local on the ground if you’re investing from out of state, since the neighborhoods are so different.  

  • Omaha, NE · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    I live in Omaha and I have family in St. Louis... Omaha 100%.  St. Louis is one of the most dangerous cities, and Omaha is one of the safest.  St. Louis just has too many problems in my opinion. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.