How saturated is the tax lien investing?

How saturated is the tax lien investing?

Appraiser · St. Charles, MO · Member since 2010 · 63 posts · 21 votes

Ive done some research and reading on tax lien certificate and deed investing, and alot of the stats and books are typically pre 2010.  Are double digit returns obtainable still?  What states are ideal?

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
Moderator
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
7y
@Chad McIver A lot of hedge funds have gotten into tax liens since their cost of capital is so low they can acquire these, get their returns and not own the property
7e investments53 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    7y

    SC, GA, TX I know to be good states. It has gotten very competitive in my market. Yes double digit returns are attainable just on interest. When you get a house for pennies on the dollar then your returns go through the roof.

  • Appraiser · St. Charles, MO · Member since 2010 · 63 posts · 21 votes
    7y

    ok, thanks john, in missouri the max is 10%, not real attractive.

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    7y
    @Chad McIver A lot of hedge funds have gotten into tax liens since their cost of capital is so low they can acquire these, get their returns and not own the property
    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 15 votes
    7y

    The first tax lien I ever purchased was directly from the county for $750. Interestingly enough, I purchased it after the annual tax lien auction as not all liens are sold at the auction itself. You can get the list to see what each county has left on their books and buy them outright. Some lists are free and others I’ve had to pay $50 to the county assessors office. I foreclosed on the first tax lien I purchased after approx 90 days as it was ripe for that action. I retained a real estate attorney and followed the laws carefully. After that, I owned a house that appraised for $125k that a former coworker now owns and resides in.

    Just make sure you know your state tax lien statutes well, do your due diligence carefully on each and every property and be prepared to go to battle with banks, hedge funds, (as @Chris Seveney stated) and other large entities at the auctions. However, even 10% is a nice return on a fairly low capital investment with the chance of owning the property as I did. 

    Best of luck to you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.