Tax Lien Investing in Maryland

Tax Lien Investing in Maryland

New to Real Estate · Hagerstown, MD · Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 5 votes

I'm a new investor looking to get into the world of tax lien and tax deed investing in Maryland. I'm having some difficulty when it comes to researching properties and narrowing down which county to invest in. Thanks for any feedback!

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Baltimore County, MD · Member since 2014 · 466 posts · 439 votes
3y
Quote from @Michael Cotton:

I'm a new investor looking to get into the world of tax lien and tax deed investing in Maryland. I'm having some difficulty when it comes to researching properties and narrowing down which county to invest in. Thanks for any feedback!

 @Ned Carey is your guy. 

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Baltimore County, MD · Member since 2014 · 466 posts · 439 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael Cotton:

    I'm a new investor looking to get into the world of tax lien and tax deed investing in Maryland. I'm having some difficulty when it comes to researching properties and narrowing down which county to invest in. Thanks for any feedback!

     @Ned Carey is your guy. 

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    3y

    @Michael Cotton Some considerations; which counties offer the best interest rate? PG county is 20% Baltimore city is 12-18%, most others are 12%. But that is the starting interest rate which gets bid down. 

    Which counties have the least competition? Generally the more rural or smaller sales can be a little less competitive. 

    Lastly where do you know the market the best? It is the value of the property that is collateral for you investment. You need to be able to research the estimated “as is” value of the property. To do that is no different then estimating the value of any other property. 

  • MD · Member since 2023 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    2y

    Hello Michael, I'm In P.G. County, MD an I am also trying to figure out the tax lien and tax deed process from start to finish. I have not done a deal. I have found out that you'd need to contact each County individually to find out when the tax sale is going to take place. Some counties require you to pre-register if you plan to bid at auction at the time of sale. If you choose not to participate in the auction, you may be able to contact the office of the treasury, treasury division, office of finance, etc. for a list of properties that did not sell at the scheduled auction and purchase the property that way

    I see you are in Hagerstown. Do a Google search for tax delinquent properties Washington county, MD as well as a couple of other counties in MD and compare the information. These sites only really provide information on the property tax process such as how to pay the taxes on a property, what happens when a property owner does not pay the taxes, general information like this. You may have to look around the site for the information for the tax sale. I have never seen a county or treasury website that tells the % of interest on a lien. I have seen the % rates on 3rd party sites and YouTube videos. I hear @Ned Carey with Crab Properties, LLC in Baltimore, MD is the go-to guy for tax liens in MD.

    I'm hoping to get my first deal this season, 2024. I have been incredibly unsuccessful networking to find reputable information and competent, knowledgeable people who will not scam me to do deals with. All I end up finding is a bunch of get rich quick ads and platforms, 'gurus' who just want a earn a quick buck promoting videos and e-books filled with a bunch of positive affirmations and testimonials and never showcase how the process of tax lien and deeds actually work, webinars that are not informative and avoid the actual process of acquiring a tax lien or deed, and so forth. There a lot of YouTube videos that give a mega condensed version of the tax lien and deed process but do not offer a step-by-step breakdown unless you agree to pay for mentorship, classes or some training program of sorts. It is frustrating beyond belief trying to find people who are truly educated and competent to provide the correct step-by-step information for tax lien and tax deed investing. I hope this helped. I am just seeing your post 1-29-2024. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.