Limiting Access to Doors and Security Lights/Cameras

Limiting Access to Doors and Security Lights/Cameras

Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 26 posts · 14 votes

Question:
Do you use a smart lock to monitor access to shared spaces or utility areas of the property to avoid persistent use but allow access by tenants?

Background:

I am in Chelsea, MA and in the process of moving into the 3 family house we bought this summer. The basement is mostly empty and we would like to keep it that way. Since closing we have found a few items stashed down there that makes us think the teenagers who live in one of the units are accessing it. There has also been a few items and snow tires stored since then belonging to the parent of unit 1. Because of that and that we would like to store our tools there when we move in -- we would like to limit access -- though we are okay with the seasonal tires.

Unit 1 is the only unit whose circuit breaker is in the basement and therefore require access by law.
This is also the unit with the teenagers. Circuit breaker flipping is a rare occurrence and when I asked, my tenant can't remember an instance she has needed to do so. Still of course, we want to fully comply with the law for access.

Until we can get an electrician on site to relocate this panel upstairs in their unit, is there a keypad access lock that comes to mind that issues 1x use codes and provides a notification to me when it is used? This way I can provide the tenant 1-2 codes for single use, and send new codes in the event she needs to use them. Since they are single use codes rather than a blanket access code I don't have to worry about the code being shared with children or at least if they are shared and it becomes frequent I can question the tenant about the necessity. Ideally the lock would be wifi access or the bridging etc is easy. It seems like many smart locks have too many bells and whistles for this application.

Because the basement currently can be accessed by anyone -- I don't want to make any assumptions about who has left things hidden in my basement ceiling or who may or may not be trying to smoke in a basement with natural gas heating fixtures. I just want to stop it from happening and also be able to store our bikes and tools securely. 

Also planning to set up a camera in the basement. Potentially a temporary solution until I can discuss wiring for outdoor cameras and flood lights with electrician is the WYZE wireless battery operated cameras. But I'm open to other suggestions!

Tenants are inherited.
Basement is not needed for 2nd egress.

Thanks for any advice! 

0Reply
35 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    5y

    We use Schlage wifi locks where everyone can have their own code. You can see a log history of when the door was unlocked. You can get alerts on your phone when the door is being opened. 

    Another idea is building caged and locked areas, so each person has their own storage space. 

    I would install cameras and post signs alerting people to video surveillance. I would also install outside cameras. With the low cost of the technology, there is no reason not to.

    If you found pot pipes in the basement, I would alert all the tenants of your findings. Tell them in a written notice, it is prohibited per their lease, it is dangerous and is cause for eviction. You want to address problems head on.

    Keep in mind that extra basement storage is of value to tenants. I understand wanting to protect your property, but also consider reasonable ways to let them enjoy some extra storage. 

  • Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 26 posts · 14 votes
    5y

    @Joe Splitrock it is a bit more complicated than pot pipes, though that is legal in MA. Sending a notice is fine and good, but so far has not resolved the issue. And since we are moving in, our bikes and tools not being stolen is our number one priority -- so I want it to be clear that the space is monitored and access can be proven. 

    This is a 100+ yr old brownstone, the layout of the basement does not allow for storage cages and with the 3 boilers, water heaters, and where the utilities/sewer line etc are arranged there isn't a way to accommodate storage without blocking access to the circuit breakers, meters, or the basement's bulkhead doors. Basement storage is very uncommon in this area and would be a continued nuisance for us re: pest control, utility replacement, and addressing the work we have planned on the building which includes structural work in the basement. 

    I like the Schlage wifi locks also, though the wifi enabled ones don't have a one time use code. If you have more than one Schlage wifi lock on your property can you set accessibility to the locks to be different by user? I haven't been able to confirm that online but if that is the case I think that will be the way to go.

    And agree on security as well but the wired system recommended by a member here will need at least some direction from an electrician-- which we are already in queue for. I think the WYZE wireless will be a good interim budget solution but I don't think it will prevent loss of property or alleviate the concern without the accompanying lock on the basement door. 

  • Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    I have put up BLINK security cameras.  They operate off a long lasting battery.  It gives a battery health icon on the APP.  No wiring and pretty easy to set up.  I got a package of 5 for indoor and outdoor use with a sensor.  I can set it for how long it records and how often it records for continuous motion, like record 15 seconds, every 2 minutes.  It was $300 or so on sale at a major electronic store with the initials of BB.  The picture is clear and it alerts on the APP when it senses something.  Also I can push a icon in the APP and talk to someone.  I can also record live if I want.  So when someone was hanging around I told them to leave immediately or I will call the police.  They ran off.  There is an annual fee of about $100 that is paid through Amazon if you want to keep the recordings.  Highly recommend them.

    I do not have any association with them, just happy with the cameras.

    You might want to put in a secure area maybe a tool storage locker for your tools.  Even with a camera you may not get them back if they went to the local fence. 

    Also since you inherited these folks, check their leases to make sure they were not leased a storage area too!

  • Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 26 posts · 14 votes
    5y

    @Lynnette E. ah BLINK! That was the brand I couldn't think of that I knew had battery operation. Thank you!! 

    Storage in the basement is prohibited on their lease, but good thought. And yes the lock with one time access logged access options will be crucial to any loss of property. A camera would really only be able to corroborate the missing items but would not return them...or potentially give insight as to how/when the space is being misused. I think the presence of the new lock with limiting access will deter the kids. And ultimately, the parents are parenting if they feel the need to hide anything in the basement. 

    This is a good interim fix, I won't be obligated to allow access after the circuit breaker is moved to their unit. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.