Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Seyferth
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Window Ice on Inside (Maintenance Question)

Brandon Seyferth
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Feb 15 2021, 08:15

Hi Everyone,

I have a problem with ice forming on the inside of my property's windows (pics below). Is there anything I can do to prevent this? Are these just cheap windows (casement windows, Lincoln Windows) that need to be replaced? Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

User Stats

Votes
David Lee Hall, III
Pro Member
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Feb 15 2021, 09:05

Looks like condensation dripping down and freezing due to cold temps. You might start with a cheap plastic barrier to see if it stops the condensation. 
Window Kit 112-in x 84-in Clear Heat-control Window Film https://www.lowes.com/pd/3M-Wi...

If that doesn’t work, you could try lowering interior humidity (unlikely to make significant difference) or upgrading the windows. 

You might also check the glazing or caulking around the glass itself to ensure no air is coming in around the glass.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Seyferth
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Feb 15 2021, 09:11

Thanks for the feedback, David. Much appreciated

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Steve O.
Pro Member
  • West Caldwell, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Caldwell, NJ
Replied Feb 15 2021, 17:00

@Brandon Seyferth time for new windows.

User Stats

Votes
Erik B.
  • Amityville, NY
Votes |
  • Amityville, NY
Replied Feb 16 2021, 17:03

Honestly this looks terrible. What class asset is this?

condensation is caused from cold air outside getting in contact with warm air inside. Either single pain windows or failed dual pane system.

Like @steve o said these should be replaced. This has probably been going on for too long and when you replace the window you will most likely find some wood rot. And possibly mold.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Seyferth
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Feb 16 2021, 17:23

Thanks Erik. It definitely doesn't reflect the class A property, which is why I want to correct the issue asap now that I'm aware of it. I did just replace some of the same windows in the front of the property two years ago. Those seemed to be a failed dual pane system as well, but weren't this bad. I will be replacing these in the picture (already have replacements). Would it be worthwhile in your opinion to run a bead of clear silicone around the seam where the window meets the wood to get more longevity out of the new windows?

thanks again