Rental Property Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 12 votes
Anyone in the Fort Collins or Northern Colorado area have a contact to build an ADU? Any and all input/advice welcome. I was thinking of also contacting Studio Shed? I'm open to prefab but don't know where to start.
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y
@Aimee Lawrence great job. The next step is to determine what kind of structure you can get permitted as an ADU. Some building codes won't allow prefabs. Some require a real foundation. Some allow for a slab etc. You might get with the City building department and ask them for a list of ADUs that have been built in the last 2 years. You might then be able to contact the owners using the property address. The owners might share their contractor's name with you. It usually works best if the builder has previous experience with what you want to build.
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y
@Aimee Lawrence start with zoning. You have to make sure the zoning for the property allows what you want to do. After that then you figure out how to build it. Sorry I don't have any contractor contacts up your way.
I have thoroughly researched zoning and codes, I and spoken with the city. I am zoned for an additional dwelling for long term rental, which why I am now looking for a contractor. You need at least 6,000sf of land per dwelling which we have. But I’m getting very different opinions about cost.
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y
@Aimee Lawrence great job. The next step is to determine what kind of structure you can get permitted as an ADU. Some building codes won't allow prefabs. Some require a real foundation. Some allow for a slab etc. You might get with the City building department and ask them for a list of ADUs that have been built in the last 2 years. You might then be able to contact the owners using the property address. The owners might share their contractor's name with you. It usually works best if the builder has previous experience with what you want to build.
Contractor · Loveland, CO · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 14 votes
5y
Hello Aimee, I'm a contractor here in northern Colorado, happy to discuss your project! To be honest, I am disinclined to take the work myself as I am quite busy, however I have done day conversions and have built tiny homes. I have looked into ADU's zoning and definitely prefabs here in NOCo. drop me a line!
Rental Property Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 12 votes
5y
@Patrick Soukup We’re not in old town, Drake and overland. We’re all able to do it because of our zoning and the Sq footage of the lot. Someone else on our street built one and I’m thinking of trying to pick his brain about it. I would love to do something off grid but I believe that’s where the city draws the line.
I don't know general contractors there but do know a lot of pre-fab home builders that might be a fit. Have you checked out companies like live modal or meka modular? I have worked with them before. I also know there are many others out there. Would be happy to help.
Agreed with Amberly - Modal has some great units and is based in Utah (modern style) while Meka has the same modern feel but is customizable (very rare in the pre-fab/panelized world). Silvercrest homes can also service Colorado, more ranch/traditional style. We work with these prefab companies and more - happy to share my experience / pricing if interested!