Wood floors and resale: Painting vs sanding/refinishing

Wood floors and resale: Painting vs sanding/refinishing

Member since 2020 · 22 posts · 12 votes

Have been working on renovating an older (1940s) house for very long time to sell, about a year.   Only the floors are left, and money and time is getting pretty tight.   Very much need to be done and have this up for sale by end of month.
The kitchen floor is finished, but there are three other rooms left downstairs (dining room, front room, and side room) and a bedroom upstairs that still need completed.  All is done, but the floors.

I pulled up the old carpet and it was in pretty bad shape, but there are wood floors underneath.   They're sound- not exceptional, kind of shabby but real wood floors.   Recarpeting all this will cost a lot, so I'm looking at another option.

My question is, what about painting the wood floors?    I'm wondering about doing this, maybe a high gloss grey or brown instead of all the additional time work and money of renting lugging in a drum sander and refinishing.    Its there that much more home resale value, in sanded/stained wood floors, as opposed to freshly painted.   As far as it being an older house, I know painting floors was common back in the day.  It also would be easier since there are gouges and irregularities in the wood floor.    These could be filled and get a smoother floor appearance.

Resale value:   Painted vs stained wood floors?     How big a difference?






 



0Reply
27 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Montgomery, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I don’t know your market... however painted wood floors used to be a trend, many, many, many years ago and done so to be cheap. I would 1000% not paint wood floors. I imagine any buyer looking at a renovated house would be turned off by that.

    What do you have budgeted for floor refinish? I have seen sand and refinish (no stain) for as low as $2/SF. Personally I wouldn’t entertain doing it myself and also wouldn’t entertain painting it.

  • Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    When I was looking at properties I saw several painted wood floors all looked very cheap,  but the houses I was looking at were cheap so I guess it made sense. My wife thought they looked cool, I hated them 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.