First BRRRR or Flip. How to estimate Reno costs quickly

First BRRRR or Flip. How to estimate Reno costs quickly

Lender · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 5 votes

Ok Everyone. I need a good resource for how to quickly determine what the important key items

Are to focus on when estimating renovation costs. Yes, I can get a contractor out to this house but I need to jump on this deal quickly before it's gone. The ARV is $390k and the agent I'm working with thinks I can get it for $250k. What's a good book or website that I can use as a solid resource for estimating Reno costs on a SFR. This is in Minneapolis, MN.

1Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Tim SwierczekPro Member
Lender · White Bear Township, MN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y

@Steve Dillner Bigger pockets has a book on the subject however for you to learn the skill at this point is going to take longer than getting a contractor to give you a quick estimate.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Tim SwierczekPro Member
    Lender · White Bear Township, MN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Steve Dillner Bigger pockets has a book on the subject however for you to learn the skill at this point is going to take longer than getting a contractor to give you a quick estimate.

  • Jaron WallingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    Estimating rebab costs is not an overnight accomplishment. This is one of the hardest aspects of BRRRR investing. I will recommend The Book on Flipping Houses: How to Buy, Rehab, and Resell Residential Properties - by J Scott. 

    It's an older Bigger Pockets book but full of useful information. 

  • Lender · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    Thanks Jaron. I just picked up 3 of Brandon's books off of Amazon so I'll check out this one too.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Steve Dillner if you need help quickly offer to pay a GC to walk the property and complete a bid.  @Victor Lebegue may be interested in this.  As mentioned this isn't a quick skill to learn.

  • Victor LebeguePro Member
    Investor · Maplewood, MN · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 8 votes
    6y

    There are many variations and even some of the most skilled investors dont know everything that goes into a flip. My experience in renovating, new construction, and building code helps me understand everything that will come up on the project including code violations and requires updates, possible hidden problems, etc. so you have a correct figure ahead of time. 

    We charge for our walk through inspections and written quotes but if you contract us for the job we credit that towards your contract price. Feel free to reach out to me on here or call our office. VL Builders

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.