Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Andy B.
  • Real Estate Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Casement Window Cranks

Andy B.
  • Real Estate Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Posted Jul 21 2012, 13:43

Has anyone had to replace the crank handle itself? I have one that has a stripped gear in the handle (female cog portion) and I cannot find a replacement -- or more accurately, I find way to many replacements.

How do I know that the handle I am buying will actually fit my window?

{if it matters, the handle is a "Truth" window product, but their website is no help}

User Stats

Votes
Ryan M.
  • West, MI
Votes |
  • West, MI
Replied Jul 21 2012, 13:47

We shove steelwool into the handle or drill through the center and tap it with a small bolt.

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Central Valley, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Central Valley, CA
Replied Jul 21 2012, 17:34

It might be regional but our local Ace hardware has a decent selection of replacement parts for casement window operators, including just the handle. I've bought the whole operating rig more than once when they've been out of the handle. I think they are about $18. Sometimes I just use the handle, sometimes I replace the whole thing, especially after a new paint job and I want to reinstall fresh hardware. We are near the ocean and most window hardware finishes, except solid brass, look pretty bad pretty quickly.

Another note: those handles will re-strip in months if the window isn't moving 100% freely. Check the window panel and the frame for warping where they meet and close. Sand or plane if needed and lubricate all the parts so the window moves as freely as possible and so that the handle isn't doing the work.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan M.
  • West, MI
Votes |
  • West, MI
Replied Jul 21 2012, 18:00

Ya you can find handles but it will cost 10 to 20 and I'm not willing to spend that, on rentals anyway.

User Stats

Votes
Andy B.
  • Real Estate Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Jul 21 2012, 18:04

Thanks for the info - I'll check with Ace (Home Depot and Lowes were no help).

This is for my Dad's new place, so the 10 bucks is not that big a deal.

I've done the steel wool trick for now.

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Central Valley, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Central Valley, CA
Replied Jul 21 2012, 19:12

I manage projects on an estate with at least 25 pairs of old funky casement windows, with every kind of issue you can imagine. The window parts/repair section at Home Depot is pretty lame. Ours has the operator assembly (on good days both left and right side) but no separate handles. Your "real hardware store" or lumberyard for contractors definitely has them. With the exception of some high end Anderson window handles (that were stripped the year after the warranty expired), I have found the handles to be mostly interchangeable.

Ryan M. Thanks for the steel wool trick. I've repaired a lot of 1950s cabinet hinges on that property with toothpicks and wood glue. I'll wrap teflon tape on just about anything. But I did not know about the steel wool. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Ryan M.
  • West, MI
Votes |
  • West, MI
Replied Jul 21 2012, 20:41

No problem, I have one casement where the cops came through it, sketchy tenants prior. Cops will ruin everything they don't care and don't have to pay for it. Anyway, this was a nice pella window but they messed up the mechanics of the opener so bad I ended up installing a handle on it. It is now a window you have to open by hand, that one still irritates me.

User Stats

Votes
Dan V.
  • Contractor
  • Illinois
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Illinois
Replied Jul 22 2012, 07:22

I've gotten mine locally through a window repair company. I had to remove the crank handle assembly and take it to them to match up rather than trying to find something online.
After using this local window repair company I have found that they are very helpful in repairing or getting otherwise hard to find glass.