Hiring handyfolks off Craigslist risky? Protection?

Hiring handyfolks off Craigslist risky? Protection?

Rental Property Investor · Hartford. CT · Member since 2018 · 178 posts · 54 votes

I regularly hire handymen off Craigslist and work with them on rehabs. I keep their total pay under $500 and have done an occasional i9. I would like to know how to protect myself as lot of these people are unlicensed handymen. I understand that I do not need a general contracting license to hire them as long as I don't allow them to sub out. Is there anything I can do to protect myself from liability ? I do have umbrella. I cannot LLC my homes because they are bank financed.

I am not looking for answers like "check all licenses and insurance" or "hire a general contractor" (expensive and they could have lapsed or fake info) because I do 80% of work myself and hire people when I need a second hand and am usually on the job with them ... Looking for creative ways to protect myself.

0Reply
137 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · South shore, MA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

I don't trust Craigslist with anything...

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Portsmouth, VA · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    We need a couple hands to empty a house at the end of the month. Where at home depot stores can these hands be found? And the best time of morning to find them, say 6 or 7 am?

  • Rental Property Investor · Hartford. CT · Member since 2018 · 178 posts · 54 votes
    7y

    Depending on your area they usually congregate on a sidewalk in proximity to the store but not immediately on it. Usually In The shade where they can hang out. Don't drive up to them they'll rush your car. It's best to walk up and bring one person aside to have a quiet chat. If they are not outside the store just in some areas they will come up to you inside the store. They do get there as early as store opening. Posting an ad on Craigslist for $3 is my preferred method though as you post the labor price and can screen people shortly through the phone. It puts you in a better position. Sometimes the home Depot people ask for higher labor rates and you don't have the time to qualify them. But it's definitely easy just to go to the store 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.