Are you supposed to tip appliance deliverymen?

Are you supposed to tip appliance deliverymen?

Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes

I have some people coming from Lowe's to deliver a refrigerator and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to tip. Thanks.

0Reply
52 views

Most Popular Reply

J ScottPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
15y

I don't think they generally get tips, but I always tip deliverymen, especially when they go out of their way for me (like the appliance guys generally do by bringing the appliances into the house)...

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Full-Time Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    i don't....quick note, at lowe's their policy is they'll hook up the stove antitip bracket and the fridge water supply line if you want them to...the delivery guys won't tell you this, but it's corporate policy...the water line isn't a big deal, but i hate drilling into slab floors to install the antitips, so i have them do it..they're also supposed to take all appliances out of boxes and take the trash with them if you ask

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y

    I don't think they generally get tips, but I always tip deliverymen, especially when they go out of their way for me (like the appliance guys generally do by bringing the appliances into the house)...

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    15y

    Thanks. I definitely need the anti-tip device installed. If they can do that for me I will tip.

  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    15y

    Hmmm tip for the anti tip :mrgreen:

    I've never heard anyone tip delivery guys before but I guess you can if you feel it's warranted.

  • Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 671 votes
    15y

    I use Lowe's for all of my appliances. I tip the guys if it is a hard job. This also helps because they see your company name on the order and make sure you get your appliance in the delivery window.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    15y

    You never know Karma works in mysterious ways.

    They might have a family member that wants to sell a problem property or a friend that wants to sell or overheard an off market deal.

    By you being stand up and doing what others don't they will remember you.

    When I go to restaurants people remember me by name as I tip usually 25 to 30% for good service on the bill.

    It might not always appear in direct ways but good will always comes back to you.

  • Note Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2009 · 849 posts · 544 votes
    15y

    I simply think about how I would like to be treated if I were the deliveryman.

    Not only that, but really, in the big scheme of things, what's $20 to you vs. the deliveryman who:

    (a) has probably got a short career life expectancy
    (b) is probably not making much more than minimum wage?

  • Full-Time Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    man you guys make me feel bad and cheap...loc, 20 bucks??? california is nuts!! :)

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by BryanA:
    man you guys make me feel bad and cheap...loc, 20 bucks??? california is nuts!! :)

    I used to spend about 6 weeks out of every year living in Vegas (at the Bellagio), and you quickly learn that when it comes to tipping and getting stuff done, there are no bills smaller than a $20... :D

  • Full-Time Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    ok j, you're in atl...2 delivery guys...what are you tipping them?

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by BryanA:
    ok j, you're in atl...2 delivery guys...what are you tipping them?

    Assuming they just bring the appliances into the house (no installation or anything), $20 to split between them...while I'd probably do it anyway, the main reason is that they are only responsible for "curb side" delivery, so they are going above and beyond by bringing them into the house...

  • SFR Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    Interesting read. The last several appliances I purchased for my rentals were delivered by - ME! And to think I stiffed myself on the tip... what a cheapskate? ;-)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.