Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Bienes Raices
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
AC Cage costs $700?

Bienes Raices
  • Orlando, FL
Posted Nov 12 2010, 00:46

I called a place and they want $599 + $100 installation for the cage. I don't know much about these, but this seems like a lot.For those who invest in neighborhoods where AC condensor theft happens, what do you do for security?

User Stats

Votes
Patrick L.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Saint Petersburg, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Saint Petersburg, FL
Replied Apr 22 2013, 17:19

Unfortunately for the old lady she's getting retail pricing and they're probably trying to take advantage of her. I can get an entire system replaced inside and out for $300-400 above the supply house price on the units.

I was just calling my cage cheap because it's a pretty simple lower end cage (great cage for $85) but it did exactly what I thought it would.....it kept that outside unit there. I was hoping that the copper thieves would see the cage and keep driving but I guess they needed the $10 in scrap that my line set will bring. I just replaced both units and the line set less than 2 weeks ago too (this is a newly acquired rental and it was stripped while vacant) It really pisses me off but it's all part of the business.

User Stats

Votes
Glenn Ge
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Port Deposit, MD
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Port Deposit, MD
Replied Jan 11 2015, 07:37

As a HVAC Mechanical Contractor, I have tried several manufactured cages, what I found in Baltimore is they will steel your cage and your AC unit. I now build our own cages, the steel I use is a high grade burglar bar steel that I use in Defense & Government building jobs. To date none of these cages have been breeched. In addition I build a steel heavy gauge sheet metal guard that is painted like the building or house that protects the line set. If you are going to build a cage, ask yourself a question when your done, "would I put a live tiger in that cage and feel safe", funny I know, but those steeling copper and AC units are animals! My dad always said "do it right the first time, and you will not need to do it the second time". Guys with the cost of materials stay away from cages under $300.00 these guys have battery powered band saws, sawsall, and they only need time. In closing I will tell you we had 18 roof top units on top of a 29 foot tall building that every coil was stolen in one night, that is two coils for each unit, they slid them down a cable into the truck. Security video caught most of the action of these three guys in the act.

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Glenn Kopensky
  • Real Estate Investor
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Nov 4 2016, 17:09

A search brought me to this discussion forum. I need theft protection for several A/C units. Has anyone tried the GPS tracking module that you put hidden in the A/C unit? When it is moved, you get a call or police get a call, and it is tracked so it can be found. The huge benefit is the thieves hopefully get caught. I found this site and asked for pricing. www.protectmyacunit.com