Habitat for Humanirty for learning about rehab and costs

Habitat for Humanirty for learning about rehab and costs

Pembroke Pines, FL · Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 7 votes

So I'm wondering what people think about volunteering with Habitat for Humanity to learn about rehab and associated costs.  I'm in the process of building my capital base to take the offense and in the meantime I'm looking for networking and learning opportunities.  I think H4H  would be fun and I'm wondering what sorts of experiences any of you may have found valuable..?...

1Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Van Nuys, CA · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 13 votes
8y

I've worked on a few projects with Habitat for Humanity. While it can certainly be a great learning experience (and a valuable/enriching experience in general), I wouldn't say it is the most direct way to acquire rehab knowledge specifically. A lot of the work they give you is basic grunt work (loading/unloading, moving stuff around, shoveling, etc). They aren't going to leave any important or critical tasks to normal volunteers, and I doubt they will involve you in any financial details of the projects. That said, it's a positive activity to consider for benefiting yourself as a person. If you find that sort of volunteer work rewarding, go for it.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Greenfield, MA · Member since 2017 · 107 posts · 99 votes
    8y
    @Chad Michael I don't have any experience with habitat but have an uncle in South Carolina who worked for many years for them as a Contractor. I don't know if you would get a ton of experience on cost directly but you would meet people in the business who may be willing to teach you a thing or two. I feel like those involved in Habitat might be more likely to help as they are already of that mindset. I also think karma might be in your favor by doing so. it would definitely be helpful for someone who is green to the industry because you would learn the flow of construction which IMO is essential to not screwing things up. good luck!
  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Chad Michael It should be a good learning experience. Have done something similar in the past in conjunction with the local real estate investment club. Good way to get hands-on training. Also, Home Depot has classes on the weekends to learn specific areas when it comes to doing fix-up work. Have fun! 

  • Pembroke Pines, FL · Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    @Alfred Edmonds and @Rachel H.   I wasn’t aware that Home Depot did that but I’m definitely looking into that.  And that’s a great point about the type of people I’m likely to encounter and an opportunity to make more opportunities.  Thanks for the input.  I think it will be a pretty fun experience as well. 

  • Van Nuys, CA · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    I've worked on a few projects with Habitat for Humanity. While it can certainly be a great learning experience (and a valuable/enriching experience in general), I wouldn't say it is the most direct way to acquire rehab knowledge specifically. A lot of the work they give you is basic grunt work (loading/unloading, moving stuff around, shoveling, etc). They aren't going to leave any important or critical tasks to normal volunteers, and I doubt they will involve you in any financial details of the projects. That said, it's a positive activity to consider for benefiting yourself as a person. If you find that sort of volunteer work rewarding, go for it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.