Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Gregory Childs
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
2nd Appraisal - Core Logic

Gregory Childs
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Orlando, FL
Posted May 14 2010, 02:20

We have a SFH that we have rehabbed under contract (C transaction) for $150K - due to close in 10 days or so. The buyer's mortgage company had an appraisal done two weeks ago that came in at $154K.. all was great. When the underwriter reviewed the deal he ordered a second appraisal, based on the fact that we have owned the property less than 6 months - the second appraisal came in at $130k (which is ridiculously low).

So we called the bank and asked for a copy of both appraisals (need to get a release from the buyer). However, the bank says we must adjust our selling price to $130k or they will walk away from the deal. Which I suppose is their prerogative.

My issue is that the bank also said that the $130k appraisal will get entered into Core Logic and if we want to deal with any Fannie/Freddie lender the appraisal will be in the system for six months and nobody will lend above that number. So, in his words, it is either drop the price to $130k or wait six months. Neither option is appealing!

Has anyone else faced this dilemma and if so how did you handle the situation and what was the resolution.

Thanks,
Greg

User Stats

Votes
Justin S.
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Chandler, AZ
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Chandler, AZ
Replied Jun 4 2010, 14:31

Greg-

What happened to your deal? Did you find a work around for the low appraisal?

User Stats

Votes
Steve L.
  • Investor
  • Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Replied Jun 4 2010, 16:46

Option C - challenge the 2nd appraisal and the comps they use. The first appraiser should do that.

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Gregory Childs
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Jun 6 2010, 21:16

We negotiated a compromise - but it did not favor us particularly. We wanted to close the property and did not particularly want to walk away. Foretunately we had a good profit margin so we could afford to eat some of our deal.
It doesn't make it any easier. We're still a little grumpy.