• Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Black Replacement Windows & where to find them

Matthew Graves
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Posted Sep 28 2017, 11:13

So we just purchased our first live-in-flip in Charlotte, NC and we've decided to go with the white exterior, black windows, and natural wood look.

EXAMPLE:

My question is, where have you had luck finding affordable black replacement windows. I've seen Jeld-wen come up numerous times. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Scott Patterson
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Sep 28 2017, 11:55

black windows will always be more, much more than you would expect, check with duke vinyl to see what their pricing is 

http://www.dukevinylproducts.com/

User Stats

Votes
Marian Smith
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Williamson County, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Williamson County, TX
Replied Sep 29 2017, 00:38

The picture looks like black storm windows. I saw black storms in Boston but never in Texas. I had a house with wood windows painted charcoal gray and the sun was not kind to those windows. Black absorbs heat and I doubt you'd get much of a warranty except maybe with black clad wood. And vinyl windows would be black inside? Plygem has gray windows.

NMB logo
NMB
|
Sponsored
Investor Focused Lender. Claim $550 Credit today. Instant PreQual letters, Rapid Refinances, 13k+ 4.85 Star Reviews & $550 lender credit available now

User Stats

Votes
Greg Mucha
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Sep 29 2017, 06:09

Congrats and I'm sorry to hear that on the live in flip...we're on our second one now here in charlotte and it's tough for us juggling other projects along with our own house. Ah well it'll be worth it when it's time to sell ;)

Check out Pella Pro Line 450. They're aluminum clad on exterior and wood interior. Average about 330-350/window. Their Impervia line is fiberglass like the Marvin integritys and came in at $380-400/window.

If you want something cheaper check out the jeld wen v2500 series in chestnut bronze. Should be around 260-280 on average....

Account Closed
  • Full-Time Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Full-Time Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Sep 29 2017, 08:09

We've used Plygem viny SDL splits (dark bronze outside, white inside) for specs priced over 1 million.  Photo below. I've always thought aluminum clad were out of my price range, but maybe as Greg suggests, I need to take another look.  Also, depends on price point- you can buyer cheaper wood windows and paint them dark if you don't want to pay for the SDL. but of course you'll have all the issues that come with wood, but get the look on a budget :)

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Graves
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Sep 29 2017, 20:02

Much appreciated everybody, I got Jeld-wen priced out in Lowes and they seem to be around $290ish for black on the outside and white on the inside. Anderson was about double that price. 

Scott, I'll be sure to give Duke Vinyl a call. Thanks

Greg, thanks for the detailed info/pricing. I'll be sure to check out Pella Pro Line 450 if we don't go with Jeld-wen

Brian, what is the price range for those dark bronze ext./white int. Plygem windows? And I love the black gutter look as well. We have already decided to go that route too. 

User Stats

Votes
Cathy K.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Oct 1 2017, 10:27

I was watching this thread and wondering if your pricing at Lowes and other distributors was at contractor pricing? Lowes doesn't have a great program. Home depot does. Has anyone had experience with them with any of the above mentioned products? My rehabs are mostly in AZ and expanding to Dayton with multifamily. 

User Stats

Votes
Mario Brown
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Replied Jul 16 2018, 14:38

This is super late and an update, PlyGem recently came out with a set of vinyl "dark bronze" windows that definitely accomplish the look otherwise achieved by a black aluminum clad window.  Not the exact look but definitely a middle ground  if project budget doesn't allow for the black aluminum clad. 

User Stats

Votes
Cathy K.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Aug 25 2018, 08:02

I'm laughing, Mario, but thank you! It could always help to have this information! Have a great weekend.