Chicago Gut Rehab Flip & Hard Money

Chicago Gut Rehab Flip & Hard Money

Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 1 vote

I am a total beginner here. Before I even start thinking about investing, I want to make sure I have a well rounded knowledge of all the moving parts as well as hear real-life experiences from other forum members. 

At this point, I have a good understanding of how basic fix and flips work. What I am trying to learn is how most of this works on the North Side of Chicago. In some areas (i.e. Wicker Park, Ukrainian Village)  2 story (+basement) SFRs are available for sub $400k and sell in excess of $1M when rehabbed with high end finishes. These properties need a gut rehab.

There are 3 ways of financing these sort of deals: 1) cash, 2) hard money, or 3) mortgage. The latter is less preferable because these properties are often gone in matter of days. Does anybody have any advice on financing such a large sum? I researched Patch of Land, for example, and it appears that a $400k loan matches many of the criteria especially because the comps in the area for a rehabbed home are almost 3x the purchase price. 

Obviously, it appears that a deal like that (if you can get it before it's gone) is almost too good to be true. Has anybody done such a gut rehab into a luxury high-end home? Estimating that a gut rehab like that will cost $200k, there is still over $200 left in profit after paying for the debt servicing and paying all closing costs. What are approximate costs to do such a rehab? Simply, what can I expect to pay per sq. foot for a ~4,000 home?

I realize this is a lot of questions, but I am simply trying to understand how to analyze such a deal. I believe analyzing other rehabber's deals is important in order to learn and do similar kind of deals.

0Reply
18 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 318 posts · 307 votes
    9y
    Albert Plawinski I've never done a deal that size, but I crunch numbers for a living. I work on multi million projects daily. Numbers are just numbers... don't get caught up in the zeros.. $500, $600, etc. Work it as any other deal and ensure the margin % is there. In regards to the money, same as a smaller place, you just need the cash (or money partners). 15-25% down conventional route plus rehab funds, or 15%-20% down plus 10% of rehab if going with hard money. With higher end flips, the market health controls your destiny... so be careful. If you are newer, I'll start with a $200K or less property. Less risk Good luck!
  • Investor · Adkins, TX · Member since 2012 · 193 posts · 93 votes
    9y

    Ah! Chicago know it well. When rehabbing know your code requirements which will dictate whether you have to be forced to use high cost labor.

  • Lender · Morrisville, NC · Member since 2015 · 610 posts · 131 votes
    9y

    @Albert Plawinski You will want to do a bridge rehab loan for a project like that.  You should be able to get about 85% LTC and all of the rehab.  Feel free to reach out to me if you have any other questions about how that works.    

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 176 posts · 73 votes
    9y

    You would use a hard money lender. and they will require roughly 15% down, reserves equal to at least 6 months of monthly interest payments and roughly 10% of your rehab budget. Whatever they say you need minimum, assume you have to add at least $20k-$30k because they also usually require you to pay for parts of the rehab first, then you are reimbursed in "draws" so if you have to redo the plumbing for $15k, that's coming out of your pocket first. Then they charge you for the draws. The closing costs are insane and they usually have origination points from 2% to 3% (2% to 3% of the loan as a fee upfront.. just because). 

    I think step 1 is hook up with a realtor that works in the area you're looking in and get an idea of how quickly things are selling. The key with any place is ... will it sell when you're finished. If properties are taking 6-7 months to sell.. it's probably best to stay away.

    In regards to square foot for construction, it's really difficult to estimate. I would say for higher-end, expect to pay $200k or more. I am working on a project now that's not even a full "gut rehab" and it's going to cost us about $100k for a single family home (ARV of $370).

    If you don't have the money for the stuff I mentioned in the first paragraph, start working on finding it! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.