Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Wright
  • Investor
  • Windham, ME
Votes |
Sellers Lawyer Steals Deal

Matthew Wright
  • Investor
  • Windham, ME
Posted Dec 22 2016, 10:56

Anyone ever have a great deal (verbal) going with a seller and have the seller consult their attorney about the upcoming transaction and have the attorney steal the deal? I did and it isnt a good feeling. Its what I would consider the deal of a lifetime. The property was off market and he responded to one of my mailers, the seller was extremely enthusiastic about selling me the property for pennies on the dollar, until his lawyer found out and started offering the property to other investors he knows. And of course the sellers going to listen to every word his lawyer says. I'm thinking the lawyer is going to be part of the deal on the purchase side.

User Stats

Votes
Ed B.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Dec 24 2016, 09:10

Jessica may be correct in that the lawyer's only duty should be to make sure the offer is written up correctly, etc., but practically speaking, I think it's unrealistic to assume the lawyer won't offer his opinion on the deal, even if it's unsolicited.  If I'm the lawyer and it appears the offered price is easily less than value, I'm probably not going to keep my mouth shut simply because of some strict belief that negotiating a  purchase price should be left solely between buyer and seller. Especially if I'm an opinionated and meddelsome person by nature, I'm going to  let the seller know my thoughts.  I don't know how the buyer could have prevented this, because he has a signed acceptance, the seller is generally free to get opinions from a wide range of people. He may have suggested something like "if you find someone able to better my offer, could you please let me know so I can at least have a chance to match it?"  I'm sorry you lost what may have been the deal of a lifetime but that's always the danger when you have a seller consult others before accepting an offer. Very often, the person consulted has a clearer head and effectively snuffs out the good deal the buyer had on the hook. Yep, life ain't fair.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Bonner
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Grove City, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Grove City, PA
Replied Dec 24 2016, 10:50

Matthew Wright,

Regardless of what the lawyer did, your issue seems to be that the lawyer did not come back to you, or instruct the seller to come back to you (speculation) to give you one last opportunity to make an improved offer. However, I'm wondering why you feel you couldn't go back to the seller and make that offer without the lawyer's assistance or direction? How did the lawyer prevent you from making an improved offer? You obviously had the seller's contact info and were able to make an initial offer. What's stopping you from making another offer?

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Jessica Zolotorofe
  • Attorney
  • New Jersey
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • New Jersey
Replied Dec 24 2016, 10:51

Ed B. I totally agree. It's far less of a concern that the lawyer said the deal wasn't good. Advice is one thing as long as it is clear that it is just an opinion, not legal advice and that the client is calling the shots entirely. The thing I had a real concern with that he...again, allegedly... contacted other investors himself and/or took the deal himself.

User Stats

Votes
Doug Van Liew
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied Dec 24 2016, 10:59

In real estate without a ratified contract all options are on the table. A verbal agreement isn't a deal. It the same concept of a seller saying they are going to list with me in the spring, then listing with someone else or not listing at all for what ever reason. No listing agreement, no listing.

There are frequently deal stoppers in this industry whether it be attorney, family member, neighbor, agent, coworker etc. Take it at face value and move to the next.

User Stats

Votes
Rod Hanks
Pro Member
  • Insurance Agent
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Insurance Agent
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Dec 24 2016, 14:33

Happens all the time in this business. It sucks but that's the way it goes. Whether they talk to their attorney, brother in law, cousin, friend, etc they are only giving you a polite no. Always try to get them to sign a contract on the first meeting. If they tell you they have to talk to someone first chances are you are not getting the deal.

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied Dec 25 2016, 10:36

Sounds like the buyer doesn't understand what team the attorney is on. 

Attorney protected the interest of his client. Job well done.