What do I do with 80's style wood paneling in basement

What do I do with 80's style wood paneling in basement

Rental Property Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 1 vote

I'm currently rehabbing a house and the basement is completely 80's style - red carpet, wood paneling for walls... you know the type.

What's the best method to deal with the wood paneling. Is it to tear down and drywall? Or would painting the paneling white (after using an adhesion primer) sufficient. It's a 1,000 SF house looking for an ARV of ~$150,000... so nothing super high end.

Thanks

0Reply
98 views

Most Popular Reply

J. MartinPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y

I've seen well-painted white paneling that has done OK with lower-end properties. What does the market demand? Can you get your money back on the investment? What do the other sold houses look like? Do they have ugly wood paneling, and yours would be better if it was white? Or do most have drywall, and the painted white paneling would be inferior?

You can also test one area real quick and see what it looks like..

Just a couple thoughts..

Pictures help! And locals can you give you more local market advice..

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    I've seen well-painted white paneling that has done OK with lower-end properties. What does the market demand? Can you get your money back on the investment? What do the other sold houses look like? Do they have ugly wood paneling, and yours would be better if it was white? Or do most have drywall, and the painted white paneling would be inferior?

    You can also test one area real quick and see what it looks like..

    Just a couple thoughts..

    Pictures help! And locals can you give you more local market advice..

  • Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2013 · 643 posts · 280 votes
    10y

    @Brady Alford

    I have painted that old dark wood paneling a few times. It looks decent and even has some "texture" from the creases. If it is the basement and you're not going high-end, I would give paint a try. Spend your dollars upstairs in the kitchen, bathrooms and curb appeal.

    Mike

  • Rental Property Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    10y
    Thanks for the advice. Michael Wentzel so you wouldn't suggest using a joint compound in the grooves? (Grooves meaning the joints between panels running from ceiling to floor) Also, does anybody have insight on special primers, paint, or rollers to use? Is sanding the paneling necessary ?
  • Madison, WI · Member since 2014 · 46 posts · 26 votes
    10y

    I would use a fast dry oil primer like PPG's 17-964 (http://www.ppgpaints.com/products/seal-grip-interior-premium-quick-dry-primer-sealer) to seal up the paneling.  It will give you a great foundation for your top coat.  If you want to fill in the lines, I would use a stronger product, like Zinsser Ready patch.

  • Western Springs, IL · Member since 2012 · 81 posts · 38 votes
    10y

    Prep very well, TSP possibly then good primer, than paint. It will be bright, clean and look fresh for the next buyer.

  • Andy WebbPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Carrollton, TX · Member since 2013 · 750 posts · 538 votes
    10y

    My gut says to just paint it - but I would check the comps in your area to see how the other houses are selling.

    Andy

  • Real Estate Mentor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    @Brady Alford , The ARV of $150,00? Is that a starter home for your area? Also is the basement just a bonus or rec room? If the answers are yes to both of those questions just paint the wainscotting. If the home is going to be a mid range or better or if there is a main component to the house there you should probably do a tear down. :/

    Good Luck!!

    Happy Investing!!

    Charity

  • Real Estate Investment Attorney · Kingsville, MD · Member since 2016 · 643 posts · 408 votes
    10y

    @Brady 

    @Brady Alford

    I would get one of those crystal dance balls for the ceiling. Sorry that is for 70's paneling. A little Friday humor.

  • Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2013 · 643 posts · 280 votes
    10y

    @Brady Alford

    Yeah, leave the grooves. Forget about trying to fill them in. Too much work. And forget the sanding too. TSP and a good primer should be fine, as @Chris Carollo said.

    I hope it goes well. I've always been happy with how it turned out.

    Mike

  • Financial services executive · Frederick, MD · Member since 2015 · 609 posts · 341 votes
    10y

    A disco ball and pinball machines. Preserve that rich history.

  • Contractor · Somerset, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    I'm a contractor/budding flipper (been in building/home remodeling for 32 years in the NJ area and I once did spackle (in a trailer home) the lines in paneling and it turned out very nicely. That said, I wouldn't recommend it in your case because it does involve more work than it would warrant. 

    If the paneling is in good shape you should consider using the best quality paint/primer that you can afford (usually around $45 a gallon) If you don't know your "paints" then speak to the paint pro behind the counter and be sure to tell them you're painting paneling.

    I also agree with the previous poster that said your money is better spent on the kitchen/bathroom.

    Good luck!

  • Real Estate Consultant · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    No offense to anyone but this is one of those issues where the OP should only be taking advice from experienced and local folks. What they're doing in Ohio might be completely different from what they are doing in his local market. if your local market is looking for tear down and drywall like mine, then painting the wood panel might not cut it.

  • Fix & Flip / Buy & Hold / Wholesaler · Toledo, OH · Member since 2016 · 99 posts · 33 votes
    10y

    Another option is to add mud to your primer as you roll it.  Use a thick roller as this give it a little bit more texture for your paneling.  I had another investor tell me this and have not done it yet.  On lower end homes he also uses this to "Paint/Primer" over wall paper.  Yes over wall paper.  It takes away some of the texture of the paper and fills in some of the gaps in it. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.