Orlando flip. First one.

Orlando flip. First one.

Real Estate Agent · Lake Mary, FL · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 14 votes

Hey Bigger Pockets! My wife and I just completed our first flip in the Orlando area. This is something we've been wanting to do for a while now and this community gave us the tools needed to stand atop that cliff and "jump".

We got our real estate licenses in order to help achieve as much knowledge as possible (also saves money on the buying side of things). Even though we won our property through an auction website, having the ability to use the MLS at any point to run accurate comps proved extremely helpful.

This experience has taught me many things. Above all, to believe in yourself. It has made me realize that if you have a goal, not to just talk/dream. But to strap yourself with the knowledge and tools needed to succeed and then to go into it (whatever it is) with confidence. If you're doing anything for the first time, their will always be fear. What if I get the wrong house? What if I fail? What if, what if, what if....

I always like to give an example that everyone can relate to. In school, we've all had that feeling where we went into a test unprepared. It's miserable. There's a chance you'll get the questions right, but your putting your fate to chance. On the flip side (no pun intended) going into it prepared, you're cool, calm, and collected.

On our flip, even though it was our first. We prepared for our final exam. We bought it for $79,500 and put $45,000. With $7,000 for closing costs and realtor commissions. After 3 days on the market and 6 offers later we have the highest one at $169,000! 37,500 profit if the sale goes through. We are very excited about all the possibilities of this industry and what the future holds! Believe in yourselves and go for the gusto.... If your prepare, there's no way you can fail! :)

7Reply
66 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · North/ Central, FL · Member since 2015 · 47 posts · 11 votes
10y

Great post @Michael PalmaThanks for sharing.

As an aspiring central FL flipper myself, do you mind sharing a breakdown of your fixed and rehab costs?

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Software Architect · Attleboro, MA · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Great job Michael!

  • Investor · North/ Central, FL · Member since 2015 · 47 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    Great post @Michael PalmaThanks for sharing.

    As an aspiring central FL flipper myself, do you mind sharing a breakdown of your fixed and rehab costs?

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Great job! Which auction site did you guys use?

  • Real Estate Agent · Lake Mary, FL · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 14 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Krystopher Ferdinand:

    Great job! Which auction site did you guys use?

    Thanks Krystoper. (cool way to spell that name btw) We got it off hubzu and just recently won our second on auction.com. 

    Feel free to pm me with any other questions. I see you're local.

  • Investor · Linden, NJ · Member since 2016 · 84 posts · 11 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Michael Palma:

    Hey Bigger Pockets! My wife and I just completed our first flip in the Orlando area. This is something we've been wanting to do for a while now and this community gave us the tools needed to stand atop that cliff and "jump".

    We got our real estate licenses in order to help achieve as much knowledge as possible (also saves money on the buying side of things). Even though we won our property through an auction website, having the ability to use the MLS at any point to run accurate comps proved extremely helpful.

    This experience has taught me many things. Above all, to believe in yourself. It has made me realize that if you have a goal, not to just talk/dream. But to strap yourself with the knowledge and tools needed to succeed and then to go into it (whatever it is) with confidence. If you're doing anything for the first time, their will always be fear. What if I get the wrong house? What if I fail? What if, what if, what if....

    I always like to give an example that everyone can relate to. In school, we've all had that feeling where we went into a test unprepared. It's miserable. There's a chance you'll get the questions right, but your putting your fate to chance. On the flip side (no pun intended) going into it prepared, you're cool, calm, and collected.

    On our flip, even though it was our first. We prepared for our final exam. We bought it for $79,500 and put $45,000. With $7,000 for closing costs and realtor commissions. After 3 days on the market and 6 offers later we have the highest one at $169,000! 37,500 profit if the sale goes through. We are very excited about all the possibilities of this industry and what the future holds! Believe in yourselves and go for the gusto.... If your prepare, there's no way you can fail! :)

     My MIL lives in Orlando and FIL actually is in the remodeling field. This is an incentive for us in investing in Orlando. My question is which areas in Orlando do you think are the best to invest in? Why did you choose the area you did? 

  • Real Estate Agent · Lake Mary, FL · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 14 votes
    10y

    Hey @Claudia Fernandez personally both Seminole and Orange counties have really good return on investment numbers for both flipping and renting. I live in the seminole county area, and am very familiar with it. The places I look to flip are casselberry,longwoood, and altamonte springs- due to their schools and centralized locations. There are also alot of smaller neighborhoods that are on the up and up. Which is just what I look for.

    That being, said you can do well anywhere in the city and be succesful. As long as you have a real estate agent that knows what he or she is doing! Feel free to contact me privately anytime and I would be more than happy to help you find the perfect property!

  • Brooksville, FL · Member since 2012 · 429 posts · 220 votes
    10y

    @Michael Palma

    If your prepare, there's no way you can fail! :)

    I have a better one....Man Plans, god Laughs.      

    I've flipped over 500 properties in the last 7 years.   Each December I have a meeting with a few friends that are investors and we talk about what we learned.    Each January we then meet again and talk about what we want to improve on and what we need to learn.     We always write it down.

    Each January I'm very arrogant thinking I have this down and I know how to do this correctly.   At 500 properties I just can't imagine what else (on a major level) will actually change.      Each December I amaze myself at what I've learned.  You can't plan for everything.    Really you just need good instincts in this business and self control.  

    37k Net is a nice solid return, I hope it sticks.   Closing on one tomorrow in the Orlando area that I hope does the same results as you :)

  • Real Estate Agent · Lake Mary, FL · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 14 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Leigh C:

    @Michael Palma

    If your prepare, there's no way you can fail! :)

    I have a better one....Man Plans, god Laughs.      

    I've flipped over 500 properties in the last 7 years.   Each December I have a meeting with a few friends that are investors and we talk about what we learned.    Each January we then meet again and talk about what we want to improve on and what we need to learn.     We always write it down.

    Each January I'm very arrogant thinking I have this down and I know how to do this correctly.   At 500 properties I just can't imagine what else (on a major level) will actually change.      Each December I amaze myself at what I've learned.  You can't plan for everything.    Really you just need good instincts in this business and self control.  

    37k Net is a nice solid return, I hope it sticks.   Closing on one tomorrow in the Orlando area that I hope does the same results as you :)

     Thank you for the post @Leigh C. And congrats on that amazing feat! I would love to talk to you more about what you have accomplished privately.  Will you be living in Orlando for your flip or do you have a team down here? I don't mean to come across as naive.  Real estate isn't always a slam dunk, because there are unknowns.  As I'm sure you have found out. I feel like the key to being successful in any walk of life is to stay humble. When your head gets big, thats when you start missing things and making mistakes

    That being said, I am sure you have accurately prepared for your flips and have probably  only lost money on a very small percentage of them. I really like and appreciate what you said about needing good instincts and self control. When we find a property to move forward with, we've already looked at 50-100. Being obsessed with this market and watching it every day has enabled us to know exactly whats going on.  

    Flipping is an interesting game.  You need to be patient, in the sense of not just buying random properties without researching. However, being ready to pull the trigger fast when the deal is there is essential. I found that I let several deals pass me pay before I got this first one because I had the trepidation that every investor has experienced before buying their first property.  Congrats on joining the Orlando market!  

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 44 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    @Michael Palma What areas do you think in Orlando are more on the upcoming side, showing growth? I'm a newbie as well looking to either buy/hold or flip. Looking for something more central but am open to Seminole county. What's your take on the Aloma and UCF areas for rentals?

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 74 posts · 22 votes
    10y

    Orlando FTW! Nice!

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 79 posts · 21 votes
    10y

    Congrats!

    Thanks for sharing, this is very encouraging.

  • Professional · Central FL, FL · Member since 2015 · 70 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    you are buying off hubzu, so cash deals right?  Also are you having these homes inspected prior to putting in an offer?

  • Real Estate Investor · Nutley, NJ · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    10y
    Hi Michael, congrats on your first flip. Even with all the research and analysis it always takes the guts to actually make the first move, I'm sure you and your wife are glad you did! I'm an NJ native looking to be a Florida local. Also working towards becoming a flipper. Do you also do the work yourself or hire a general contractor? Trying to see if that 40k rehab cost includes labor or not.
  • Rental Property Investor · Fond Du Lac, WI · Member since 2015 · 261 posts · 78 votes
    10y

    That's so awesome! I've been reading and listening to podcast's for the last 10 months and i'm just now starting to put together my first deal(s)

    Really glad you dove in and made it happen! I hope the good fortune continues yeahhhhhh

  • Loxley, AL · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Congratulations on your success on your 1st flip, and thank you for sharing!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.