looking for good deals on material for rehabbing a home

looking for good deals on material for rehabbing a home

San Ramon, CA · Member since 2011 · 42 posts · 1 vote

We are remodeling the home, tenant moved out after 12 years. Even to put in the market for sale we need to update the kitchen and baths and floors. I am looking for with all you been there done that rehabbers on where to find materials, what are the things that are must. I hope I don't go overboard with the remodeling as I am little emotional towards home as this was my first home purchase 20 years ago.

1. Where can I find cabinets for the kitchen for a modest price and good quality.

2. Hardwood floors (since the installation cost is the same I want to put in little more money into materials)

3. Fireplace mantel (right now we have a brick face wood burning fireplace)

4. Recessed lights throughout the home (figured around 40 of them for a 1370 sq ft home with 4 bedrooms) 4" recessed. Where can I buy them for good price. 

5. Appliances, any coupons I can use.

Thank you so much

0Reply
31 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lafayette, CA · Member since 2013 · 91 posts · 45 votes
    10y

    I'm crossing my fingers that some East Bay BP members see your post and offer some tips, since I have this same question - where can I find rehab, cabinet, and appliance materials at bargain prices around the San Francisco and East Bay area? 

    My go-to spots have been Home Depot and Lowes, Oakland's Habitat for Humanity, Sincere Hardware and San Leandro Granite for granite for kitchen countertops.  I believe there are lots of granite shops in Hayward, might have competitive prices there.  Also, I've heard good things about Lumber Liquidators. 

    Anyone have some favorite go-to spots for low-priced stuff with decent quality?

  • Investor · Brentwood, CA · Member since 2012 · 139 posts · 53 votes
    10y

    Hi Jhansi,

    I have used Granite Expo in Oakland couple of times for Cabinets and Counter tops. They have flooring and some other stuff also available. 

    The other option that you can use for (Flooring, Lights, Appliances etc.) is charge on a HD or Lowes Card if you have one. You get additional discount plus a 6 month no-interest payment.

    Also for appliances I have heard that Airport Home Appliance have some competitive prices. 

  • Realtor · Fresno, CA · Member since 2013 · 471 posts · 225 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Mary Ann Casey:

    My go-to spots have been Home Depot and Lowes, Oakland's Habitat for Humanity, 

     I agree - Habitat for Humanity usually has really great deals - we were able to pick up some $40 light fixtures for $5 and $75 fans for $10 - many things you can find are still in good condition - they have great deals on nails , screws, used paint ( it's not in the shape of a house)  etc.  Good luck - come back and let us know if you blow out your budget or not! 

  • Wholetailer & Architect · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 544 posts · 298 votes
    10y

    You could check out Urban Ore in Emeryville as well. 

    There's always IKEA cabinets as well

  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Drive on hispanic areas, they usually have big cabinet and granite shops that are run by some chinese guys. Probably around 1.5-3k per house on cabinets and 100-150/slab on granite.
  • Investor · Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 101 posts · 32 votes
    10y

    Any east bay roofer/contractor recommendation?

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    10y

     I would go for RTA cabinets, as you are going to get a better quality box for the price of junk at HD/Lowes. Buyers will open doors and notice.

     Hardwood floors - there are a lot of options. If you can find flooring & install for $5/sf or less you have done really well. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Investor · North Augusta, SC · Member since 2015 · 52 posts · 14 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jhansi B.:

    We are remodeling the home, tenant moved out after 12 years. Even to put in the market for sale we need to update the kitchen and baths and floors. I am looking for with all you been there done that rehabbers on where to find materials, what are the things that are must. I hope I don't go overboard with the remodeling as I am little emotional towards home as this was my first home purchase 20 years ago.

    1. Where can I find cabinets for the kitchen for a modest price and good quality.

    I have had great experiences with RTA Store

    2. Hardwood floors (since the installation cost is the same I want to put in little more money into materials)

    Lumber Liquidators, depending on the comps i'd consider vinyl planks or laminate, the high end stuff has really improved

    3. Fireplace mantel (right now we have a brick face wood burning fireplace)

    4. Recessed lights throughout the home (figured around 40 of them for a 1370 sq ft home with 4 bedrooms) 4" recessed. Where can I buy them for good price. 

    5. Appliances, any coupons I can use.

    If i buy new I always go with Goedekers. It is worth trying a used appliance store though, they can have great deals on quality appliances

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.