Enclosed porch part of square footage?

Enclosed porch part of square footage?

Rental Property Investor · Palm Bay, FL · Member since 2009 · 511 posts · 290 votes

Is an "enclosed porch" counted as part of the living square footage of a house when it comes to an FHA appraisal?

0Reply
50 views

Most Popular Reply

Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y

@Stuart Birdsong

I did an extensive remodeling, where we replaced the siding, windows, furnaces, and added 4 new rooms in unfinished attic space.  It was a large attic!.  We did not need a building permit, and were located 2 doors from city hall, so I insisted that the contractor check before starting work.  No permit was required because we did not change the footprint of the house.   You could finish an unfinished porch into finished space in that municipality also without a building permit.

Also there are still some municipalities around here that do not have zoning.  And one place here doesn't require a building permit if you're building less than 900 square feet.

So while many places do require building permits, some places still in 2015 do not require building permits in certain situations, and the finished space is still counted as square footage.

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bryan, TX · Member since 2014 · 258 posts · 170 votes
    10y

    I believe it has to be permitted, heated and cooled to be considered living space. 

  • Investor · Harker Heights, TX · Member since 2015 · 76 posts · 34 votes
    10y

    agree with @Katie Neason 

  • Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 800 posts · 229 votes
    10y

    @Priscilla Z. Yes @Katie Neasonis right. You need heating and cooling and for it to be up to the building code in your city/county to be considered square footage. 

    If it is just for your own usage just make sure it is permitted to do so then do what you need to do and do not register it with the city until you are ready to sell it so you can avoid a higher taxation and re-assessment of taxes. 

    If you're enclosing it as a fix and flip then register it with the city and get the final inspections done so on title you will get the increased square footage bump where you can list it on the MLS with the high Square footage and ultimately make more money.

  • Rental Property Investor · Palm Bay, FL · Member since 2009 · 511 posts · 290 votes
    10y

    Thank you to all that replied. It seems as though it was already done with a permit since it comes up as enclosed porch on the property appraiser website. It has heat and cool and looks just like the rest of the house. For resale purposes before I go through with the house I just wanted to make sure that if I sell it FHA the appraiser will count it as square footage so I know what comps to use.

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Priscilla Z.

    You don't need cooling!  If you did every house without central air would have zero square feet.

    The space has to be finished, and must have heat.  A window would be nice and according to Appraisal standards must be above grade.  Below grade, like basements, don't add to square footage, but can add value if finished. 

  • Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2015 · 304 posts · 112 votes
    10y

    @Priscilla Z. I would listen to @David Krulac, it must have a heat source, no A/C. In addition it must have a building permit to be considered finished sq. footage. 

  • Real Estate Investor · chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 231 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @David Krulac:

    @Priscilla Z.

    You don't need cooling!  If you did every house without central air would have zero square feet.

    The space has to be finished, and must have heat.  A window would be nice and according to Appraisal standards must be above grade.  Below grade, like basements, don't add to square footage, but can add value if finished. 

    I thought that below grade could be added to the square footage as long as there's a walk out door (which is the dumbest rule in the world IMO).

    @David Beardundefined

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Stuart Birdsong

    I did an extensive remodeling, where we replaced the siding, windows, furnaces, and added 4 new rooms in unfinished attic space.  It was a large attic!.  We did not need a building permit, and were located 2 doors from city hall, so I insisted that the contractor check before starting work.  No permit was required because we did not change the footprint of the house.   You could finish an unfinished porch into finished space in that municipality also without a building permit.

    Also there are still some municipalities around here that do not have zoning.  And one place here doesn't require a building permit if you're building less than 900 square feet.

    So while many places do require building permits, some places still in 2015 do not require building permits in certain situations, and the finished space is still counted as square footage.

  • Rental Property Investor · Palm Bay, FL · Member since 2009 · 511 posts · 290 votes
    10y

    @David Krulac

    @Stuart Birdsong

    @Scott W.

    Thank you!  Now I got the answer to my question :)  BTW....I'm in Florida so we put cooling in all of our rooms! :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Palm Bay, FL · Member since 2009 · 511 posts · 290 votes
    10y

    @David Krulac

    @Stuart Birdsong

    @Scott W.

    Thank you!  Now I got the answer to my question :)  BTW....I'm in Florida so we put cooling in all of our rooms! :)

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Scott W.

    Check out

    Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP)

    basements sq ft don't count if any part of the basement is below grade. 

  • Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2015 · 304 posts · 112 votes
    10y

    @David Krulac You make a good point. I was assuming that this was an addition to the existing structure, which, in Colorado, requires permits. But I appreciate the thorough explanation, and I think those are great points. Thanks!

  • Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2015 · 304 posts · 112 votes
    10y

    @David Krulac You make a good point. I was assuming that this was an addition to the existing structure, which, in Colorado, requires permits. But I appreciate the thorough explanation, and I think those are great points. Thanks!

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Priscilla Z.

    I've been to FL many times. was just there for 2 weeks this year.  But I've been to places in FL that don't have either heat or AC.  If I had a place in FL, I'd have AC just like you.

    "You don't need AC, there's always a breeze."  or so I was told.

  • Rental Property Investor · Palm Bay, FL · Member since 2009 · 511 posts · 290 votes
    10y

    @David Krulac - There is always a breeze if you are on the beach! Inland not so much.  I too have been to places in Florida, as well as other countries with no heat or AC.  I'll keep the AC...

    And, if I don't put AC it would be much more difficult to sell to an end buyer here in Florida.... :)

  • Investor · Winter Park, FL · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    only if there is A/C in the room...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.